Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will only be 17 for freshers week..will this ruin the week or can I still have fun and meet people?
    I heard from people it's crap when ur not 18

ReputationRep:
    Other students won't ask you for ID - in social situations outside clubs and bars, nobody will know how old you are unless you make a big deal of it. If people want to ignore you just because you're 17, you're better off without them anyway. That's just daft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Other students won't ask you for ID - in social situations outside clubs and bars, nobody will know how old you are unless you make a big deal of it. If people want to ignore you just because you're 17, you're better off without them anyway. That's just daft.
    So, you think if I'm going out in a social situation in my first year at university, with others, I will fit in. (clubs and bars)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashz)
    So, you think if I'm going out in a social situation in my first year at university, with others, I will fit in. (clubs and bars)
    If you can get past the door, then yes of course you'll fit in. They might not admit to it, but plently of your 18 year old colleagues will be going to their first clubs/bars.

And honestly, there's no discernible difference between being 17 and being 18. You don't experience some kind of magical behavioural change when you hit your 18th birthday

ReputationRep:
    You might struggle to actually get into places so you need to be smart about that but really it's not gonna make a difference, obviously some people gonna be older than you but still going to find friends at uni easily

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You'll get given a uni card, which should get you into most clubs if it's a student city. You should be fine. From my experience, they don't exactly peer closely at your birth date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by battycatlady)
    You'll get given a uni card, which should get you into most clubs if it's a student city. You should be fine. From my experience, they don't exactly peer closely at your birth date.
    So if I'm with alot of the new students going out It should be easy enough to get into places..(student card)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    If you can get past the door, then yes of course you'll fit in. They might not admit to it, but plently of your 18 year old colleagues will be going to their first clubs/bars.

And honestly, there's no discernible difference between being 17 and being 18. You don't experience some kind of magical behavioural change when you hit your 18th birthday
    Haha yeah! I don't mind about being 17 just thw whole...I wanna fit in and that, and go out with everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabzy)
    You might struggle to actually get into places so you need to be smart about that but really it's not gonna make a difference, obviously some people gonna be older than you but still going to find friends at uni easily

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, i feel so much more relaxed known that I won't be left out completely, id say I look of age, when all done uP, I feel alot calmer, sounds silly but I was so scared I woukdnt fit in..or I would definitely need ID

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashz)
    So if I'm with alot of the new students going out It should be easy enough to get into places..(student card)
    Yeah I highly doubt you'll have any problems at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RhymeAsylumForever)
    Maybe uni places won't check ID but clubs definitely will. Get someone to order a spare ID (provisional/driving license) and just use that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Never thiught of that :0 thank you! Will get someone to order a spare, thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashz)
    Thank you, i feel so much more relaxed known that I won't be left out completely, id say I look of age, when all done uP, I feel alot calmer, sounds silly but I was so scared I woukdnt fit in..or I would definitely need ID
    No don't worry I hope you have really great time at uni it's easy to make friends because basically nobody knows each other and everyone is kinda shy and awkward at first and you get to meet a lot of different kinds of people as well which you don't get to do at school

You'll be able to sneak in, I visited my boyfriend when I was 17 and I could just go out with his group and nobody would question it. I wouldn't buy drinks myself because that's when they id you. And some places are more laid back than others. But don't be embarrassed because you're younger like everyone understand that it's not your fault and you can always drink with your flat mates and go to all flat parties just try to find places that are more laid back. You just need to be smart about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was still 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile lol I wish I was 18😣

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 16, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.