Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

When I was 12, I took my GCSE maths exam outside of school and achieved a grade A which I was pleased with.

Now i'm in year 11, I'm still resetting my GCSE maths with the same board (edexcel) but hoping to achieve an A*. Will this new grade count or will only my first grade be used?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Count for what?
    If you get a better A* grade that will be the one that employers and sixth forms will look at.
    If you get a worse grade then you still have the A
    Note that for some things, e.g. Applying to university, you are expected to list all certified results so technically would have to put both grades down with their respective dates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Count for what?
    If you get a better A* grade that will be the one that employers and sixth forms will look at.
    If you get a worse grade then you still have the A
    Note that for some things, e.g. Applying to university, you are expected to list all certified results so technically would have to put both grades down with their respective dates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok thanks, that's what I thought but a friend of mine said your first grade counts towards applying for A level, not the second one so I was confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haskii)
    Ok thanks, that's what I thought but a friend of mine said your first grade counts towards applying for A level, not the second one so I was confused.
    Schools can set any condition they like for admission to sixth form so you should check directly with them. I can't imagine they would ignore an A* gained this year because you got an A when you were still a baby they might be concerned though if your result this year is worse that way back when!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    how on Earth did you get an A @ the age of 12? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    If you got an A at the age of 12, why didn't you start A level maths early?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Schools can set any condition they like for admission to sixth form so you should check directly with them. I can't imagine they would ignore an A* gained this year because you got an A when you were still a baby they might be concerned though if your result this year is worse that way back when!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha I hope I don't do worse 😓

(Original post by Dudeyoufugly)
    how on Earth did you get an A @ the age of 12? :eek:
    I was in year 8 and started doing gcse in year 7.. But I have always been good at maths!

(Original post by RhymeAsylumForever)
    If you got an A at the age of 12, why didn't you start A level maths early?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did ask my school to allow me to resit my gcse maths in year 10 to get an A* but they kept making excuses so I had to leave it

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.