Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have some time before I get into university (basically in a years time), but i've already decided that I will be studying software engineering and will be applying to Royal Holloway as my first choice (and will practically know nothing based on the community within the uni and outside of it, itself).

How is the software engineering course (if anyone here studies it)? Is it purely based on programming or are you taught all other sorts? How difficult do you find it yourself? I would like to hear this from a students perspective on the course itself.

And how is the community like in general along with the accomodation? As i'm planning to live their and out of my home, i'd atleast hope the internet connection is good :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamAndToast)
    I have some time before I get into university (basically in a years time), but i've already decided that I will be studying software engineering and will be applying to Royal Holloway as my first choice (and will practically know nothing based on the community within the uni and outside of it, itself).

How is the software engineering course (if anyone here studies it)? Is it purely based on programming or are you taught all other sorts? How difficult do you find it yourself? I would like to hear this from a students perspective on the course itself.

And how is the community like in general along with the accomodation? As i'm planning to live their and out of my home, i'd atleast hope the internet connection is good :^_^:
    I do computer science, you're taught some maths like algorithms, running times and stuff. In my first year I did robotics, games, java and some math modules.

Second year I picked Info sec courses but you can pick robotics/games(extended). The s/w engineering course comes in on second year. I haven't heard about others but its pretty good for when you start doing interviews you have something to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stickyelmo)
    I do computer science, you're taught some maths like algorithms, running times and stuff. In my first year I did robotics, games, java and some math modules.

Second year I picked Info sec courses but you can pick robotics/games(extended). The s/w engineering course comes in on second year. I haven't heard about others but its pretty good for when you start doing interviews you have something to talk about.
    Hey man, im a computer science applicant, entering this year, the thing is im a gap year student, and im worried about whether I will struggle with the maths involved in this course. Iv sorta forgotten most of my A level maths :/ Does c.s. involve a lot of A level maths or is it quite unique maths?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by "unique maths"? If the course is any good it should have quite a bit of mathematics in it covering things like information theory and crypto. It will also have some maths when you cover computability theory and complexity theory. You can avoid the information theory although it is quite useful but I doubt you will avoid it when looking at computability theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaphrax)
    Hey man, im a computer science applicant, entering this year, the thing is im a gap year student, and im worried about whether I will struggle with the maths involved in this course. Iv sorta forgotten most of my A level maths :/ Does c.s. involve a lot of A level maths or is it quite unique maths?
    Its more like maths for proofs so for the first year proof by induction is one of the core things to know. If you did decision maths it would help a lot in second year if not first. There is a really good support system for first year so you shouldn't find it hard

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 6, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.