The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C3 Maths June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gome44
Your papers look so much harder than ours

I think I prefer that. I guess grade boundaries differ respectively :/
Original post by Gome44
Didn't do this exam (I do edexcel), but I like snooping on other papers. Here's how I would do 6b)

Arcsin(x))=arccos(x)

Cos(arcsin(x))=x

Sin(90-arcsin(x))=x

90-arcsin(x)=arcsin(x)

Then solve for x like this :smile:

Original post by Duskstar
Neat :smile:

I went straight to:

arcsinx=π2arcsinxarcsinx = \frac{\pi}{2} - arcsinx
i think grade boundaries would be 57 for an A ? (ppl at my school found it hard; it was a bit more challenging than usual)
I think finding the derivative is worth 3 marks. 1 mark for verifying (1, 1) and 1 mark for substituting in (1, 1) and obtaining the correct answer.

Another alternative is 1 for verify. 2 for derivative (both method). 1 method for subbing in (1, 1). 1 accuracy for answer = 1/2

I definitely verified the point satisfied the equation so I should get marks for it.

I might have differentiated correctly and gotten 1/2 but how many marks would I lose for

Differentiated incorrectly and therefore got a gradient that was not 1/2 would I still get marks for attempting?

Differentiated correctly but substituting (1,1) wrong and not getting 1/2 would I only lose one accuracy Mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I was just wondering if someone would be able to help me figure out how many marks I would lose for my mistakes. Here are my errors in full:

Q6ii) Only got x= pi/4 (1?)
Q8) Got my second derivative as 4/x^3 but still got a negative value to prove a max point (1 or 2?)
ii) I did not calculate the rectangular area or minus it from the calculated area (which I calculated correctly) (2 or 3?)
iv) Got it wrong completely (said it would be the same but -1) (2)
Q9iv) I reflected f(x) in y=x but it looked terrible (1?)

Thanks very much and sorry for the lack of latex here
What do you guys think the boundaries will be like for an A? 58 ? Or higher ?
Original post by -Gifted-
What do you guys think the boundaries will be like for an A? 58 ? Or higher ?

58 at max many on these thread are those pupils who are aiming at A*s A's as you can see by comments; i'd say 2 mark lower than last yrs
Original post by RemainSilent
58 at max many on these thread are those pupils who are aiming at A*s A's as you can see by comments; i'd say 2 mark lower than last yrs

I generally thought it was slightly harder than last year's paper anyway. 56 seems like a decent bet.
Original post by Primus2x
I definitely verified the point satisfied the equation so I should get marks for it.

I might have differentiated correctly and gotten 1/2 but how many marks would I lose for

Differentiated incorrectly and therefore got a gradient that was not 1/2 would I still get marks for attempting?

Differentiated correctly but substituting (1,1) wrong and not getting 1/2 would I only lose one accuracy Mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1 mark for verifying.

For differentiating incorrectly, I think you would lose all 2 or 3 marks (I'm think it's more likely to be 2). If you then subsituted in the correct thing and got the correct answer for your substitution you would get 1 mark (if the differentiation is worth 2) or probably none if the differentiation is worth 3, so 1 to 2 marks total probably :/

For differentiating correctly you would get 2 or 3 marks depending on how much the differentiation was worth. If you subsituted incorrectly you would lose all marks for that part (either 1 or 2), so total of 3 or 4.
Original post by 123BOBBY
isnt there a asymptote at x=3 therefore the domain for f(x) should be ln2<=x<3

No the asymptote would have been at x=-3 if extended beyond ln2
Original post by chizz1889
No the asymptote would have been at x=-3 if extended beyond ln2

I'm 100% sure there are no asymptotes to f(x).
Flopped this exam might have to get back to the bando
Original post by Gome44
Didn't do this exam (I do edexcel), but I like snooping on other papers. Here's how I would do 6b)

Arcsin(x))=arccos(x)

Cos(arcsin(x))=x

Sin(90-arcsin(x))=x

90-arcsin(x)=arcsin(x)

Then solve for x like this :smile:

How many marks for doing

Cos(arcsin(x))=x?Plus, I attempted to draw inverse graphs of cos and sin (which took so long) lol.. which was in vain.
I'm 100% sure there are no asymptotes to f(x).

No there aren't I'm just saying, the full reflection would have shown an asymptote in x=-3 but the graph couldn't go any lower than x=-1 due to the (x+1)^0.5 bit
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hody421
How many marks for doing

Cos(arcsin(x))=x?Plus, I attempted to draw inverse graphs of cos and sin (which took so long) lol.. which was in vain.

It was out of 2 so a maximum of 1
From what ive seen I messed up on question 8 with the integral area. I found the integral area under the curve but didnt get the final answer, so how many marks would I be looking for out of 4 for that part? I flopped the next part aswell so doubt I got any marks on that, but all the other questions I got correct. I need an A star, got 18/18 on my coursework so do you still think it is possible for me to get an A star?
My teacher said (he has done MEI over 10 years or something) that your coursework marks can go down or up very easily as the examiner mark each one (I think if you are a class under 20 the schools require to sent the courseworks off) is this true?
Original post by RemainSilent
My teacher said (he has done MEI over 10 years or something) that your coursework marks can go down or up very easily as the examiner mark each one (I think if you are a class under 20 the schools require to sent the courseworks off) is this true?

Only if your teacher is crap at marking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We have students come from another school (around 6 of them) for further maths, as their sixth form doesn't do it. We had to do some coursework for NM and our teacher marked everyone's, including those from the different school. The system works however, that the coursework must be submitted by the "assessment centre" the work effectively belongs to. As it happened our coursework AND their coursework was called to be moderated, and it was found that theirs was too generous, whilst ours were fine! DESPITE being marked by the same teacher!
tl;dr moderation is w4nk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending