The Student Room Group

Do you receive ALL the marks if you get the correct answer?

Let's say that you did the wrong working or little to no working whatsoever. However, the correct answer was stated. Would you receive all the marks or do you just receive one or two marks and not the method marks?

The main reason I ask, is because I just bought a graphical calculator which makes the trig equations incredibly simple and easy. I'd likely still write a method and only use the calculator for verifying, but I can imagine myself short on time and finding it necessary just to write the correct answer.

Any response or opinion is appreciated! Thank you in advance!
(edited 8 years ago)
hmmm, this is a level right?

are we even allowed graphical calculators?

I would say have a look at previous markscemes with similar questions to see what they say, some say give a mark if solution is seen on 'isw' (ignore subsequesnt working), and some otherstuff like that and makesure you read the interpretations of the mark scheme abbreviations so you get the mark scheme fully.

i guess with trig you should be fine, unless it's a show that question-but you know that anyway lol
You need to check if your calculator is allowed in the exam.

If they award method marks, it's because they want you to write down your method. You aren't guaranteed to get these marks just by having the right answer.
Original post by sukarro
Let's say that you did the wrong working or little to no working whatsoever. However, the correct answer was stated. Would you receive all the marks or do you just receive one or two marks and not the method marks?

The main reason I ask, is because I just bought a graphical calculator which makes the trig equations incredibly simple and easy. I'd likely still write a method and only use the calculator for verifying, but I can imagine myself short on time and finding it necessary just to write the correct answer.

Any response or opinion is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Which board?

Here's a question from last summer's Edexcel C3 paper.

7. (a) Show that
cosec 2x + cot 2x = cot x, x 90n°,

(b) Hence, or otherwise, solve, for 0 θ < 180°,

cosec (4θ + 10°) + cot (4θ + 10°) = √3

You must show your working.

(Solutions based entirely on graphical or numerical methods are not acceptable.)

Notice the instructions in bold. So you must show some working to get any marks.

Note that you cannot get answer marks without earning, in some way, the preceding method mark.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending