The Student Room Group

M1 OCR (Not MEI) Exam - 9/06/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lauren_2
Just to clarify, when asked for the 'contact force' this is the resultant of the normal contact force and friction?

Yeah, its the resultant of any forces that the surface is creating on the particle (hence the reaction force and the friction). I can't think of a better way to word it!
Reply 201
Does anyone know off the top off their head which years the harder past papers are?
Reply 202
Hi all, I always seem to struggle when there is a block going down a slope involving friction and things like that (Almost all Q7s.) Any tips? Also, has anyone done Jan 2010 Q7. ii.b? really struggling and would appreciate a worked solution or some help. Thanks a lot.
Original post by chloe-jessica
Does anyone know off the top off their head which years the harder past papers are?

The 2009 papers have the highest grade boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 204
Original post by HopefulLawyerHG
The 2009 papers have the highest grade boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely lower grade boundaries = harder papers? I found a couple based on this, luckily someone had been through and compiled all the M1 boundaries onto one document, thanks :smile:
Surely lower grade boundaries = harder papers? I found a couple based on this, luckily someone had been through and compiled all the M1 boundaries onto one document, thanks :smile:

Yes but I normally lose marks on silly mistakes rather than not being able to do it so I try the ones with high boundaries a lot :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have a link to this document please? :smile:
Reply 207
Just to check, can mu be more than 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes though rarely is, I think that theres been one past question where it was 1.73.
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
Yes though rarely is, I think that theres been one past question where it was 1.73.

Then I just did that question! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're in need of a challenge a tsrian has a website and he has loads of hard papers for each maths module but for edexcel spec?
Just search madas maths and look up M1, i think he ranks them in order of difficulty, so you should try the highest rank in difficulty (not necessarily alphabetical order)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

There can be coefficients of friction bigger than 1 but it would mean that it takes more force to slide something horizontally than it does to physically pick up the object e.g. something really sticky? As said above this is rare though.
Would someone be able to help me with June 2013 7)iii) please?
I undersand it all apart from why the friction between P and B now acts up the plane? I assumed it would act down as P is being moved up therefore it would oppose this motion?
Sorry if this makes little sense, I found it very difficult to express what i mean!
Reply 214
Original post by lyricalvibe
If you're in need of a challenge a tsrian has a website and he has loads of hard papers for each maths module but for edexcel spec?
Just search madas maths and look up M1, i think he ranks them in order of difficulty, so you should try the highest rank in difficulty (not necessarily alphabetical order)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll have a look, thank you!
Original post by kawehi
So does anybody have anything that they are struggling with?

Do you mind helping me with q2 from June 09. Thanks :smile:
Reply 216
Does the direction of the change in momentum matter?
E.g. in the June 2013 question 1ii it gives ±0.09. Does this mean accept either 0.09 or -0.09 or only ±0.09 (with the positive or negative sign)?
Has anyone done last year's paper? In q6 part (iii) how are we supposed to know that the direction of friction changes? Any help is appreciated.
Original post by Inkozzo
Does the direction of the change in momentum matter?
E.g. in the June 2013 question 1ii it gives ±0.09. Does this mean accept either 0.09 or -0.09 or only ±0.09 (with the positive or negative sign)?

It means accept both

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 219
Original post by RosuRourensu
Has anyone done last year's paper? In q6 part (iii) how are we supposed to know that the direction of friction changes? Any help is appreciated.

I found that friction must act in the direction of the 3N force because if it acting is against it (i.e. in the direction of T in a or in the direction of Tcos30 in b) then T=0N. T exists as a force so it can't be 0N, so friction must be acting in the direction of the 3N force.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending