Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling to think of an essay's-worth of points to talk about for Candy, even when considering context.
    Apart from his disability and his age, what could you talk about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxssamy)
    I'm struggling to think of an essay's-worth of points to talk about for Candy, even when considering context.
    You could talk about him being harmless but he can be mean like he calls Curley's wife a "tart" and even when she's dead he calls her a "god damn tramp".

Also, you could probably make a point about how he's lonely shown by how he's so quick to catch on to George and Lennie's dream like he offers them all of his money and he'd only known them a day.

Hope this helps, I'm super scared for the exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxssamy)
    When asked about the presentation of candys character it is important to analyse his speech, how interestingly he begins to gain confidence when introduced to the dream. For example, how he talks towards curleys wife when she was insulting crooks.

You can link him to the theme of disability and the dream. And talk about how Steinbeck feels about this dream 'that it's a trap, it's used to motivate workers'.

Another factor can be his connection with his dog and how he wishes the same fate when he becomes useless. This emphasises the inportace of work in his life and how he is going to follow the same path as his dog. The dream is the only thing that prevents this fate.

You can also link his character to that of crooks and curleys wife. Each have indured a certain degree of discrimination.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade henry)
    When asked about the presentation of candys character it is important to analyse his speech, how interestingly he begins to gain confidence when introduced to the dream. For example, how he talks towards curleys wife when she was insulting crooks.

You can link him to the theme of disability and the dream. And talk about how Steinbeck feels about this dream 'that it's a trap, it's used to motivate workers'.

Another factor can be his connection with his dog and how he wishes the same fate when he becomes useless. This emphasises the inportace of work in his life and how he is going to follow the same path as his dog. The dream is the only thing that prevents this fate.

You can also link his character to that of crooks and curleys wife. Each have indured a certain degree of discrimination.

Hope this helps!
    thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spnlove)
    You could talk about him being harmless but he can be mean like he calls Curley's wife a "tart" and even when she's dead he calls her a "god damn tramp".

Also, you could probably make a point about how he's lonely shown by how he's so quick to catch on to George and Lennie's dream like he offers them all of his money and he'd only known them a day.

Hope this helps, I'm super scared for the exam!
    me too!! im taking english lit next year so im desperate to do well ahhhh. thank you

ReputationRep:
    I think Candy is definitely a pretty complex character, one that many, including myself would probably struggle to write an essay about. There is just like with any other character a LOT you could talk about and a lot of links to themes and other characters you could make to perhaps tip toe your way around focusing completely on Candy if you're weak on him in specific.

-Candy is a bit the older version of Whit, in the sense that he lived a like of work without much ambition. He was happy with the life on the ranch.

-He is old, weak and disabled but very friendly

-He's always scratching himself, has gut ache, only one hand. Basically a physical wreck and not fit for the demanding and function based life on the ranch, a bit like his dog.

-Has the least respected job - "swamper"

-He's often left behind. On workdays he stays to clean up, when men go into town and when everyone goes off to hunt down Lennie - he also stays.

-With the death of Curly's wife his dreams are crushed.

-He's super desperate to own his own piece of land and have something to fall back on because of the high likeliness that he will get canned, so he is very quick to offer all of his to money to men he has knows for a day towards 'the dream'.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 16, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.