Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is media studies a easy A level because I was thinking of doing it to increase my chance of getting multiple A's and heard its an easy option.
    Other subjects are maths, economics and computer science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morganlethbridge)
    Is media studies a easy A level because I was thinking of doing it to increase my chance of getting multiple A's and heard its an easy option.
    Its a really good subject! Easy and one yr you learn about film and the 2nd yr, you learn about music videos and the music industry. Thats how its been from the past couple of yrs. I suggest u do some research

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty interesting. What exam board are you doing?
    I'm on WJEC and in AS we mostly focused on general media, representations and audience. A2 focuses on specific texts within three industries (for me, this is Film/TV/Video Games, although there is also the option of Music/Advertising/Magazines).

It's got a heavy coursework aspect though. For WJEC, it's 50% coursework both years, so it's pretty intensive for a few weeks. It's not particularly difficult to get an A in the coursework though if you're willing to sacrifice a lot of free time during the coursework period.

ReputationRep:
    Man do not think like that. With your current subject choice, taking further maths would be an brilliant idea, its difficulty is really over hyped and if you want to study maths, engineering, physics or computer science having further maths is hugely beneficial if not compulsory. The number of people who did what you are thinking of doing regret the decision of not taking further maths because they thought it would be too difficult or they wanted an easy A.

ReputationRep:
    Don't go for that "easy A" route please :X

Just go for a good A-level that will look great to have, like chemistry or History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wunderbarr)

Just go for a good A-level that will look great to have, like chemistry or History.
    but also really hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sumana786)
    Its a really good subject! Easy and one yr you learn about film and the 2nd yr, you learn about music videos and the music industry. Thats how its been from the past couple of yrs. I suggest u do some research
    yeah sounds quite fun what exam board and grade did you get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jai Sandhu)
    Man do not think like that. With your current subject choice, taking further maths would be an brilliant idea, its difficulty is really over hyped and if you want to study maths, engineering, physics or computer science having further maths is hugely beneficial if not compulsory. The number of people who did what you are thinking of doing regret the decision of not taking further maths because they thought it would be too difficult or they wanted an easy A.
    but isnt it further maths insanely hard, did you take it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wunderbarr)

and surely if unis only ask for 3 A levels then it doesnt really matter what the fourth is

ReputationRep:
    Don't go for the easy A route. Take a subject you're genuinely interested in. I wish I did. You'll love the extra knowledge and skill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I took Media Studies and I've found it to be a really fun and interesting course... though I don't think you should underestimate it's exam, many people do and end up getting really bad in it, however currently it's 50% coursework (atleast for me it is) so if you ace that it's a big boost to your end grade. I'm not sure if the 50% coursework is being decreased or scrapped though, or how it is on other exam boards. But, as everyone else said, it's better to do something you're interested in as you're likely to do better in that

ReputationRep:
    but isnt it further maths insanely hard, did you take it?
    It is not as challenging as it is made out to be, it is as challenging as you make it to be. If you do adequate past papers and listen in class then an A is definitely within your grasp. I originally wanted to do physics at uni so I changed to further maths in January of AS, I then decided I loved it so much I changed to studying maths at uni. I was told if I did it I would get an E, being in 6th set (out of 7) in GCSE and that EP was more helpful for studying physics at uni (load of rubbish). Now I have offers from Bath, Bristol, Warwick and UCL for maths, firmed Warwick (A*A*A + 2 in STEP/Distinction in AEA or A*AA + 1 in STEP) and insurance is Bath (A*AA or A*AB + 2 in STEP/Merit in AEA or A*A*A + 2 in STEP (with no further maths)). Do not let others tell you what you can and cannot do (unless you are actually being an idiot like jumping off a cliff).

It was only achievable because I worked at it, it shows that FM is not that bad and is definitely worth a shot, you can probably self teach AS FM through summer as I self taught AS FM from September -> January and that was during school time.

ReputationRep:
    From what i gather from my friend, it is not easy but if you are good at English language it will help you a lot.

ReputationRep:
    You should take the subjects that you are interested in because you will do better in them.

Media itself covers a lot of aspects.

ReputationRep:
    and surely if unis only ask for 3 A levels then it doesnt really matter what the fourth is
    If it's a 4th subject, then why do you care whether or not it's easy to get an A in it? Because if you're saying that, for instance, you got ACCC and an A in Media and then dropped it because "it's only a fourth", then universities aren't going to care that much if you got an A or not since it's your predictions in your 3 A2s that are going to be the difference between an offer or not.

And since you aren't going to have a realistic idea of what you're going to drop over a year in advance before results day, if you did well in Media and not so well in other subjects, you might be more inclined to keep it to A2 which might damage your chances of getting onto a course at a good university since they tend to have a preference list of subjects.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions...l-combinations
    https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergra...olicies/alevel

Therefore you should just take a subject you care about, like Captivated pointed out.

ReputationRep:
    It's not just about what they ask for because they usually look for the best applications, and to ensure you get in, you need to make your application the best. Especially when a lot of students are now taking 4 A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    yeah sounds quite fun what exam board and grade did you get

My exam board was Edexcel. For my coursework where I had to make a film opening, I got an A. My exam is next week

ReputationRep:
    Media Studies isn't really a respected A-level- I suggest you go for something like Further Maths instead. Whilst it may be a little more difficult, it'll pay off in the end and will look a lot better on your application. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not a subject to get an easy A in if that's what your expecting.

ReputationRep:
    I do media studies! I wouldn't say it's necessarily easy, it's quite enjoyable though. I got an A in my exam at AS, think it depends on what you enjoy, if you like a subject you're likely to work hard because you don't mind an enjoy it. I'm predicted an A and hoping to study Television and Radio at Salford university in September and for that particular course Media Studies is desirable so I guess it just depends... Don't pick a subject because you think it will be easy!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.