Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any notes about the novel and how steinbeck uses characters for a reason ect also any predictions on what the AQA exam will be on Monday?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Morgan13;55858567]Anyone have any notes about the novel and how steinbeck uses characters for a reason ect also any predictions on what the AQA exam will be on Monday?[i have a feeling it will be mr birling or edna and how edna although she inst a prominent character she represents the hidden voice always serving the rich

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgan13)
    Anyone have any notes about the novel and how steinbeck uses characters for a reason ect also any predictions on what the AQA exam will be on Monday?
    You sure you're asking about An Inspector Calls, which is a play by JB Priestley, rather than a novel by Steinbeck?

ReputationRep:
    For OMAM- I think violence/Curley/Carlson will come up (don't quote me on that)
    For AIC- I think Birling will come up as he has only been on the specimen paper (again don't quote me on that)

ReputationRep:
    i did this exam last year (although it was WJEC, still OMAM and AIC - came out crying because I thought I had done soo badly on the inspector calls essay, but I ended up getting an A*. So relax I love these books now - so nostalgic. Enjoy GCSEs while u can lol

ReputationRep:
    For this novella it is noticible that the main character George and Lennie haven't been included in the exam for a good few years so my best guess is that there may be a question on their relationship or their characterisation.

To answer your question the author uses the character of curleys wife to emphasise the position of women at the time the book was written. And by the fact that we aren't given Her real name that she is a 'possession' of curleys.

Crooks is equally used to show the position of black people in the 19th century.

Curley is the main antagonist in the play and represents the wealthy class with his power over the other workers and the way he addresses his wife.

Lennie represents innocence. He is totally dependant on george and George basically acts as a surrogate father figure. They both are examples of the victims of the failed dream. The writer uses them to emphasise his views on the American dream.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=rehmanator;55858657]
    Anyone have any notes about the novel and how steinbeck uses characters for a reason ect also any predictions on what the AQA exam will be on Monday?[i have a feeling it will be mr birling or edna and how edna although she inst a prominent character she represents the hidden voice always serving the rich
    youve just stressed me out as i dont even know who edna is

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Morgan13;55870083]
    (Original post by rehmanator)
    youve just stressed me out as i dont even know who edna is
    She's the maid :ahee: she lets the inspector in, she is very important in a way... She's also the working class representative in the household..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 16, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.