Turn on thread page Beta

Is a wingman good for meeting girls/dating? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got a friend that knows quite a lot of girls & general people in general. He said he wants me to go out racing with him in a few weeks & meet some. He's pretty confident, I know as I work with him & he's good in conversation with people (including a girl colleague who I fancy). He seems to know how to act, what to say & gets a lot of attention from girls from when he races & just in general.

He's a decent guy & said that he'll try & make me feel more comfortable around them & help me drop into conversation with some of them (he has a girlfriend himself so I know he wouldn't try to pursue someone I was interested in). Is this a good idea, I mean I don't think I'm horrifically looking, at the start I'd be quite nervous though I guess I would grow in confidence if I'm hopefully not written off pretty much straight away. I'd also kinda hope he didn't get all the attention haha. Opinions please?

ReputationRep:
    It's worth a try. Sometimes you can pick off a girl circling at the periphery of an adoring crowd. Trouble is it can feel like you're second best which is not very motivating!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    I've got a friend that knows quite a lot of girls & general people in general. He said he wants me to go out racing with him in a few weeks & meet some. He's pretty confident, I know as I work with him & he's good in conversation with people (including a girl colleague who I fancy). He seems to know how to act & say & gets a lot of attention from girls from when he races & just in general.

He's a decent guy & said that he'll try & make me feel more comfortable around them & help me drop into conversation with some of them (he has a girlfriend himself so I know he wouldn't try to pursue someone I was interested in). Is this a good idea, I mean I don't think I'm horrifically looking, at the start I'd be quite nervous though I guess I would grow in confidence if I'm hopefully not written off pretty much straight away. I'd also kinda hope he didn't get all the attention haha. Opinions please?
    worth a try! if you are naturally shy the first meet is normally the hardest so the confidence from him will hopefully make things a little easier for you, if he is willing take him up on the offer! what can go wrong nothing to lose!
    im sure he wouldn't get all the attention as just because you feel he is better looking than you girls find different things attractive! everyone has different tastes! good luck go for it !!!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think that it would be more fun to go in solo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellietaylor73)
    worth a try! if you are naturally shy the first meet is normally the hardest so the confidence from him will hopefully make things a little easier for you, if he is willing take him up on the offer! what can go wrong nothing to lose!
    im sure he wouldn't get all the attention as just because you feel he is better looking than you girls find different things attractive! everyone has different tastes! good luck go for it !!!
    Ok thank you I'm normally not that shy unless near younger ladies that I don't know, that's when I often find it hard to approach/start a general conversation with them I dunno maybe if he introduces me to them & then we start talking it can help ease me in so to speak. I suppose it can make me seem less "creepy" as I wouldn't be on my own. After talking I'd still need the confidence to get their contact details (so to stay in touch) I think I worry about rejection/coming across as creepy/making a fool out of myself too much, which in turns holds me back. I should really stop over thinking things, act natural & go for it, as doing something is better than doing nothing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Ok thank you I'm normally not that shy unless near younger ladies that I don't know, that's when I often find it hard to approach/start a general conversation with them I dunno maybe if he introduces me to them & then we start talking it can help ease me in so to speak. I suppose it can make me seem less "creepy" as I wouldn't be on my own. After talking I'd still need the confidence to get their contact details (so to stay in touch) I think I worry about rejection/coming across as creepy/making a fool out of myself too much, which in turns holds me back. I should really stop over thinking things, act natural & go for it, as doing something is better than doing nothing!
    just go for it !! more chance not over thinking things with some one else there! im sure you will be fine just don't think about it and be yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellietaylor73)
    just go for it !! more chance not over thinking things with some one else there! im sure you will be fine just don't think about it and be yourself!
    Yeah exactly! & even if said girl isn't interested I should not get too down about it or anything, if there wasn't any attraction, she didn't want a BF or felt no compatibility then fair enough. I'd just have to be mentally strong enough to keep my head up basically & go again until I find someone that feels the same way I guess I just need to be brave & take the leap of faith really :yes: I actually almost did today with a girl at work but then right at the end backed out as I felt she would decline my offer for an end of exam celebratory meal/drink as I kind of thought I made a right fool of myself (plus don't feel she's interested) However I feel it still a positive step for me to take as I did get her laughing a bit & stuff

you're ugly though lol

wingman or no wingman..:stupid:

ReputationRep:
    This is one of, if not the best way of getting better with girls.

When you spend enough time around people you sub consciously begin to integrate their mannerisms into your disposition, so basically develop a bit of "game". It's important that you work it into your own style though.

Don't worry about him "stealing your thunder" instead just speak when appropriate, this means don't be a quiet **** but just allow the conversation to flow organically.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2015
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.