Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't find a thread so thought I'd make one, hows everyone revising? Hows it going? I'm retaking so hoping to do better this time!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=xela238;55858683]Couldn't find a thread so thought I'd make one, hows everyone revising? Hows it going? 'm retaking so hoping to do better this time![/QUOTE/]

Ive seen some past papers and im doomed

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=yamyam77;55858761]
    (Original post by xela238)
    Couldn't find a thread so thought I'd make one, hows everyone revising? Hows it going? 'm retaking so hoping to do better this time![/QUOTE/]

Ive seen some past papers and im doomed
    I know what you mean, there seems to be a lot too learn, hopefully most can be blagged i guess ahaha

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=xela238;55862403]
    (Original post by yamyam77)

I know what you mean, there seems to be a lot too learn, hopefully most can be blagged i guess ahaha
    Last years paper was so easy though, hopefully this year is similar

ReputationRep:
    How'd everyone find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How'd everyone find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I posted this in the other Prod thread, but I'll put it here as well

How did people find it? Here is what I put for the questions I remember:

-Composites for the Carbon and Fiber glass,

Said the carbon can be used with race/ high performance cars because Light weight and good strength to weight ratio, also easy to form subtle curves for areo dynamics.

- For the smart material I said photochromic glass and referenced the glasses

-I said aluminium tubes for the luggage holder! (light weight, malleable and different finishing techniques) And showed how they are bent/ rolled (Said likely cold rolled/bent). Also mentioned pop riveting together, Chrome plating and using a pin to join legs at pivot.

-I think I messed up the rotational molding one because I didn't say to add pigment in, or that it rotates before and while in the oven

-For health and safety measures I mentioned; PPE, Machine Guards, Training and RIDDOR (Accident and incident books)

-For the risk assessment for the molding, I said; Hot mould from oven, keep fenced/ guarded off. Rotating machinery could pull worker clothes and in- Limit access, isolation switches and general guard of machine. (Not too sure about these )

-The ergonomics and H&S I just mentioned large feet so better surface area to stop falling over, smooth edges to cant get hurt and then some other stuff. Didn't mention the dimensions From the data so I've lost a lot of marks there

-For the last Question I said to put a number counter between ears, add eyes to front (stickers or paint) and add wheels in the feet.

Overall I think I've dropped a lot of marks because I didn't get order or rotational molding correct and didn't show mould as being the chair, just showed a ball instead. Forgot to mention data in ergonomics so would have dropped marks there (I think) And then my diagrams weren't really the best or most detailed and were mainly 2D for describing processes.

If anyone want's to correct me/ tell me where I went wrong or add other questions you remember to this list then please do!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyrotten)
    I posted this in the other Prod thread, but I'll put it here as well

How did people find it? Here is what I put for the questions I remember:

-Composites for the Carbon and Fiber glass,

Said the carbon can be used with race/ high performance cars because Light weight and good strength to weight ratio, also easy to form subtle curves for areo dynamics.

- For the smart material I said photochromic glass and referenced the glasses

-I said aluminium tubes for the luggage holder! (light weight, malleable and different finishing techniques) And showed how they are bent/ rolled (Said likely cold rolled/bent). Also mentioned pop riveting together, Chrome plating and using a pin to join legs at pivot.

-I think I messed up the rotational molding one because I didn't say to add pigment in, or that it rotates before and while in the oven

-For health and safety measures I mentioned; PPE, Machine Guards, Training and RIDDOR (Accident and incident books)

-For the risk assessment for the molding, I said; Hot mould from oven, keep fenced/ guarded off. Rotating machinery could pull worker clothes and in- Limit access, isolation switches and general guard of machine. (Not too sure about these )

-The ergonomics and H&S I just mentioned large feet so better surface area to stop falling over, smooth edges to cant get hurt and then some other stuff. Didn't mention the dimensions From the data so I've lost a lot of marks there

-For the last Question I said to put a number counter between ears, add eyes to front (stickers or paint) and add wheels in the feet.

Overall I think I've dropped a lot of marks because I didn't get order or rotational molding correct and didn't show mould as being the chair, just showed a ball instead. Forgot to mention data in ergonomics so would have dropped marks there (I think) And then my diagrams weren't really the best or most detailed and were mainly 2D for describing processes.

If anyone want's to correct me/ tell me where I went wrong or add other questions you remember to this list then please do!!!
    This doesn't sound like a paper that I had done in yr 12. We just had to do the 1 day of modelling and then an exam afterwards which was about 3 large(ish at the time) questions.

I could give an idea on your answers though.

1) Composites for the carbon and fibre glass - 0 Idea of the context so can't comment.

2) Photochromic glass - no context but that stuff does work on glasses.

3) Aluminium is a great material to use for things like luggage, is lightweight and if finished well has a nice aesthetic as well as chrome plating. Can dent easily though, especially if luggage is being thrown around but I would have said aluminium too. There is titanium and aluminium / magnesium / steel alloys but they are very expensive.
    Pop-riveting doesn't require any machinery depending on what you're doing. A hand tool works and it also means you dont need to go to both sides of the material to rivet to it's efficient in that sense. Did you mention that rivets need specific sized holes for whichever size you put in? Unless you didn't mention sizes but that's fine.

4) It's about 2% pigment that needs to be added to the plastic so it's not a lot.

5) A lot of what you're describing there for safety sounds like COSHH regulations. They may have been worth a mention (Control Of Substances Hazardous to Health)

6) All of those health and safety points for rotational moulding machines are valid in my experience.

7) Dimensions are important. As for the rest of that question 0 idea of context so can't comment.

8) Can't comment on that either - 0 idea of context.

I'd say you've done fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDawg)
    This doesn't sound like a paper that I had done in yr 12. We just had to do the 1 day of modelling and then an exam afterwards which was about 3 large(ish at the time) questions.

I could give an idea on your answers though.

1) Composites for the carbon and fibre glass - 0 Idea of the context so can't comment.

2) Photochromic glass - no context but that stuff does work on glasses.

3) Aluminium is a great material to use for things like luggage, is lightweight and if finished well has a nice aesthetic as well as chrome plating. Can dent easily though, especially if luggage is being thrown around but I would have said aluminium too. There is titanium and aluminium / magnesium / steel alloys but they are very expensive.
    Pop-riveting doesn't require any machinery depending on what you're doing. A hand tool works and it also means you dont need to go to both sides of the material to rivet to it's efficient in that sense. Did you mention that rivets need specific sized holes for whichever size you put in? Unless you didn't mention sizes but that's fine.

4) It's about 2% pigment that needs to be added to the plastic so it's not a lot.

5) A lot of what you're describing there for safety sounds like COSHH regulations. They may have been worth a mention (Control Of Substances Hazardous to Health)

6) All of those health and safety points for rotational moulding machines are valid in my experience.

7) Dimensions are important. As for the rest of that question 0 idea of context so can't comment.

8) Can't comment on that either - 0 idea of context.

I'd say you've done fine.
    Thank you very much! You make some good points an very reassuring Hopefully I've done okay! But of course you don't have the context of the question so it's hard to judge!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh I did grp for boat hulls but yeah pretty much the same

What did you say for the ergonmjcs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dear Johnny Rotten,There wasn't really all that much you could say about the dimensions anyway. Just linking it with the size of childrenso you would not of lost very much there I don't think.

Also I think I done the Ergonomics and Health and Safety question one wrong as it said critically I only put negative points about it so I don't know if that has lost me marks.

I Did boat hulls too!

ReputationRep:
    What did you say for boat hulls? And that's fine for the ergo one as long as you mentioned enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Though according to the dictionary critically does mena to find fault so perhaps you were only suppose to find faults with the ergonomics and saftey on that question

ReputationRep:
    That they have a good strength to weight ratio so easy to carry and transport yet still strong. I did canoe boat hull more specifically. and that it would be water proof so float

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by businessdon)
    Though according to the dictionary critically does mena to find fault so perhaps you were only suppose to find faults with the ergonomics and saftey on that question
    Oh no.. I mentioned what was good about the product Not the bad parts

ReputationRep:
    Im not really sure who's right as the way it was worded makes it more difficult. So for all we know we could both be right

ReputationRep:
    :fatcontroller::train2::train::tux::badger::badger::badger::auto::centipe::centipe::chaplin::clip::clip::clip::clip::clip::clip::clip::clip::clip::clip::clip:

ReputationRep:
    On one of the past papers there was an identical question and it had both bad and good points

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by businessdon)
    :fatcontroller::train2::train::tux::badger::badger::badger::auto::centipe::centipe::chaplin::clip::clip::clip::clip::clip::clip::clip::clip::clip::clip::clip:
    That amount of GIFs and images should be illegal :L

ReputationRep:
    On one of the past papers there was an identical question and it had both bad and good points

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh okay well we both got half of it right then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDawg)
    That amount of GIFs and images should be illegal :L
    You may have a point there... :hat::run::pingu::pingu::nyan::oops::noonoo::mrt:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.