Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am doing To Kill A Mockingbird, An Inspector Calls, and conflift poetry...if anyone has techniques etc that they used in their exam or are going to use this year please reply ASAP ( Also, am i the only who's super nervous for these literature exams because all my friends seem to think it is really easy but it's the one i'm most nervous for :/) WHY CAN'T IT BE IN JUNE?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gracelaura)
    I am doing To Kill A Mockingbird, An Inspector Calls, and conflift poetry...if anyone has techniques etc that they used in their exam or are going to use this year please reply ASAP ( Also, am i the only who's super nervous for these literature exams because all my friends seem to think it is really easy but it's the one i'm most nervous for :/) WHY CAN'T IT BE IN JUNE?!?!?
    I'm doing the same poetry cluster as you but different novels. For the novels on Monday, just remember to analyse closely and write a good, solid introduction (a plan often helps). The intro is the first thing the examiner sees and it really can make the difference between a C and an A: you want to make a good impression. Just remember to refer to different moments in the text, and make sure what you're writing makes sense. I really like the poetry exam but no words can describe how much I *hate* the novels. For the poetry, you'll have been well prepared for Section A, but for the unseen section, just remember to keep it brief but detailed. By that I mean, focus on your analysis (which is basically the only thing they're marking you on (along with interpretations)) but don't waffle. You want to make a good handful of analytical points but if you try to pad your answer out the examiner will notice.

It'll go fine. Remember that there's no wrong answer in English, so just focus on what the question is asking and write points well that are at least vaguely relevant to the question and you should secure the grade you want. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend looking at past papers of the texts you are studying, for example I'm also doing An Inspector Calls. Find the past papers and then look at the extract and essay questions and think about (or even write down) what you would do if it was the real exam. Find as many past papers as you can and be sure to look at all of the questions and think how you would answer them, that way you'll go into the exam more confident and have a better idea of what to write. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by educatingsurrey)
    I'm doing the same poetry cluster as you but different novels. For the novels on Monday, just remember to analyse closely and write a good, solid introduction (a plan often helps). The intro is the first thing the examiner sees and it really can make the difference between a C and an A: you want to make a good impression. Just remember to refer to different moments in the text, and make sure what you're writing makes sense. I really like the poetry exam but no words can describe how much I *hate* the novels. For the poetry, you'll have been well prepared for Section A, but for the unseen section, just remember to keep it brief but detailed. By that I mean, focus on your analysis (which is basically the only thing they're marking you on (along with interpretations)) but don't waffle. You want to make a good handful of analytical points but if you try to pad your answer out the examiner will notice.

It'll go fine. Remember that there's no wrong answer in English, so just focus on what the question is asking and write points well that are at least vaguely relevant to the question and you should secure the grade you want. Good luck
    Thanks we've done one past practice paper at school, which wasn't even marked, so I guess that's why i'm so freakin nervous for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gracelaura)
    Thanks we've done one past practice paper at school, which wasn't even marked, so I guess that's why i'm so freakin nervous for it
    We've done tonnes of past papers but I never trust their marking and I'm never sure if they're too lenient or too harsh compared to what AQA will do. And I find it next to impossible to prepare for Lit — oh god I hate it so much

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any predictions for lord of the flies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yorgandji1)
    Just list the themes and see which ones haven't appeared in the past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yorgandji1)
    Simon and Jack

ReputationRep:
    What could you write for simon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know good techniques for unseen poetry? Thaaanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Talk about
    Form and structure
    Language
    Imagery like similies
    Rythm and rhyme
    Tone like the attitude of the reader

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 16, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.