Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello. My english lit exam is on Monday and I need help on writing essays on George, Candy and Curley. Would someone please give me 5-6 points on each character with a quotation which could be used for an A* essay. This would greatly help as i am good at the explanation part but i just need points. Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    George Essay
    Introduction - Talk about the role George plays in the novel and how he is important.
    George and Lennie's relationship - George and Lennie share the same dream of living "offa the fatta the lan'", this is their American Dream of finally belonging somewhere. Lennie can be a burden to George as he can speak "craftily" to him and threatens to "live in a cave", Lennie is described as George's opposite which shows how desperate people were for companions after the Great Depression. George and Lennie have a great friendship as "I got you to look after me and you got me to look after you".
    Curley and Curley's Wife- George immediately feels "tense" around Curley as he is worried he may be dangerous to Lennie and may get them "canned". George also protects Lennie from Curley's Wife, as he is aware that Curley is "handy" and will easily get George and Lennie fired as he's "the boss' son". George calls Curley's Wife a "tramp", a "*****", "poison", "a jail bait" and "a rat trap if I ever seen one". George shows he is trustworthy when he hears Curley's left glove is "fulla vaseline" with his honest response "that's a dirty thing to tell around".
    Candy joining 'The Dream' - George and Lennie dream of living 'Offa the fatta the lan' and "tending the rabbits", Lennie forgets lots of things but can recite their dream word for word. George lets Candy join the dream after he offers to pay $350, this is the first time George believes the dream is actually possible "Jesus Christ! I bet we could swing her" and he offers straight away to "bind her". George is the leader of the dream and Lennie and Candy both follow his instructions.
    Shooting Lennie - George shows lots of foresight to what happens here "Hide in the brush", he listens to Candys advice "I ought to have shot that dog myself". George doesn't want Lennie to be tortured by Curley and wants him to die happy thinking of the dream. When shooting Lennie, Steinbeck refers to George's hand as "the hand", perhaps depersonalising the killing taking responsibility from George. George shoots his only companion, paying the ultimate sacrifice for himself. Slim assures him he made the right choice by saying "You hadda, George. I swear, you hadda."
    Conclusion - How George has changed in the novel and what may happen afterwards, he is lonely like the ranch workers he used to feel sympathy for, perhaps his situation is worse as he knows what it is like to have a friendship.

Candy Essay
    Introduction
    - Talk about the role Candy plays in the novel and how he is important.
    Meeting George and Lennie - Candy persuades George and Lennie to stay despite the "grey-backs". He is old and has lost his hand. Steinbeck uses Candy as a messenger to tell about the ranch workers, for example he says Crooks is a "nice fella", "******" and "the stable buck", he calls Curley's Wife a "tart" and says "she got the eye" and tells of how the boss gave them a galleon of whiskey at Christmas and Curley was in a fight with Smitty.
    Doesn't want his dog shot - Carlson pressurises Candy into having his dog shot, by calling it "old" and it "smells", this reflects the character of Candy himself as he is viewed as old and weak. Candy tries to put Calson off by saying "he was the best damn sheep dog I ever seen", he is proud of his dog. He looks to Slim to change his mind, but he doesn't. He pleads "maybe it'd hurt him", but nobody listens to him. "He did not look down at the dog" in fear of showing emotion from the other men, when he hears the gunshot "he rolled slowly over and faced the wall and lay silent". The reader feels sympathy for Candy as he has been bullied and has lost his only companion, Candy later says "I ought to have shot that dog myself".
    Candy joins the dream - George and Lennie forget Candy is in the room when discussing the dream, this illustrates how Candy is viewed on the ranch as people forget he is even there. Candy offers to pay 75% of the asking price ($350), as he is desperate to get away from the ranch and is lonely and wants to belong somewhere. Candy is desperate for new companions after losing his dog, his only companion. He says "I'd make a will an' leave my share to you guys in case I kick off, cause I ain't got no relatives nor nothing." Candy is lonely and has nobody, he has known the men for one day but is willing to give everything to them. "I won't have no place to go, an' I can't get no more jobs" shows how jobs were valued after the Great Depression and how he is viewed as weak and cannot do typical ranch jobs.
    Finding Curley's Wife - When he finds Curley's Wife's body, he asks "What we gonna do now, George...", he is loyal to George and is worried they won't be able to fulfil their dream. He blames Curley's Wife for ruining their dream "You done it... You lousy tart", he calls her a tart after her death showing the cruel treatment of women in 1930s America. Candy repeats the dream which shows how desperate he was to leave the ranch as he memorised the dream in one day, he cries as his dream of companionship and freedom have been taken away from him. He is instructed to say with Curley's Wife's body, this especially shows how he is viewed as the most he is trusted with is her dead body.
    Conclusion - Discuss what has happened to Candy in the novel and how he shown signs of hope this dream of freedom and companionship, explain how Candy's future is bleak as he cannot get another job and will always be viewed as an old, weak ranch worker.

Curley Essay
    Introduction - Talk about the role Curley plays in the novel and he how he is important.
    George and Lennie meet Curley - He comes into the bunkhouse wearing "high-heeled boots" to make him seem taller as he is a small man, and to separate him from the other ranch workers and to give him a sense of authority as he is the son of the boss. He is suspicious of anyone new as he steps "gingerly close" to Lennie with his "hands closed into fists", he tries to intimidate the men. He is aggressive to Lennie as he says "Nex' time you answer when you're spoke to."
    The men gossip about Curley - Candy tells George and Lennie that he is "handy" and "scrappy", he dislikes Lennie because of his size "He hates big guys... He's mad at 'em because he ain't a big guy". The ranch workers dislike Curley but he "won't ever get canned because he's the son of the boss". George makes it clear that he "don't like mean little guys". Candy tells of how Curley has married a "tart", his wife is his possession who he uses to have power over other men, this is the treatment of women in 1930s America. George is disgusted at Curley's "Glove fulla vaseline".
    Fight with Lennie - Slim is annoyed at Curley for asking him where his wife is, Curley backs down in fear of Slim. He tries to vent out his anger on Carlson but he won't be intimidated "You come for me an' I'll kick your God damn head off". He catches Lennie smiling, still at the thought of the dream, but assumes he was laughing at him. He judges Lennie as the least likely to fight back, Slim calls Curley a 'Dirty little rat". Lennie does not fight until George instructs him to "Get 'im". Lennie crushes Curley's hand and leaves him "flopping like a fish". Curley agrees to Slim's idea that he "got his hand caught in a machine" so George and Lennie don't get canned, Curley would be embarrassed about being beaten by Lennie and would be viewed as weak.
    He discovers his wife's dead body - Curley doesn't touch his wife body, Slim is the only one to touch her and check for a pulse. This is the only time in the novel he and his wife are together in the novel, which shows the physical distance in their relationship. Curley knows "That big son-of-a-***** done it" and wants to "shoot 'im in the guts", he is angry that someone dared to touch his possession. He is not upset over his wife's death and only shows anger, he had his wife for pride and not as an actual wife who he could care for. Slim suggests that he is still mad about his hand, Curley views his own hand and his pride more important than his wife. Curley's only intent is to kill Lennie "I'm gonna get 'im."
    Conclusion - Sum up what has happened to Curley in the novel and discuss the effects he has on other characters, remember to comment on his personality. For example, possessive, sexist, etc.

Remember to use key words form the question and refer to the social, cultural and historical context. Really hope this has helped and good luck on the exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob7915)
    George Essay
    Introduction - Talk about the role George plays in the novel and how he is important.
    George and Lennie's relationship - George and Lennie share the same dream of living "offa the fatta the lan'", this is their American Dream of finally belonging somewhere. Lennie can be a burden to George as he can speak "craftily" to him and threatens to "live in a cave", Lennie is described as George's opposite which shows how desperate people were for companions after the Great Depression. George and Lennie have a great friendship as "I got you to look after me and you got me to look after you".
    Curley and Curley's Wife- George immediately feels "tense" around Curley as he is worried he may be dangerous to Lennie and may get them "canned". George also protects Lennie from Curley's Wife, as he is aware that Curley is "handy" and will easily get George and Lennie fired as he's "the boss' son". George calls Curley's Wife a "tramp", a "*****", "poison", "a jail bait" and "a rat trap if I ever seen one". George shows he is trustworthy when he hears Curley's left glove is "fulla vaseline" with his honest response "that's a dirty thing to tell around".
    Candy joining 'The Dream' - George and Lennie dream of living 'Offa the fatta the lan' and "tending the rabbits", Lennie forgets lots of things but can recite their dream word for word. George lets Candy join the dream after he offers to pay $350, this is the first time George believes the dream is actually possible "Jesus Christ! I bet we could swing her" and he offers straight away to "bind her". George is the leader of the dream and Lennie and Candy both follow his instructions.
    Shooting Lennie - George shows lots of foresight to what happens here "Hide in the brush", he listens to Candys advice "I ought to have shot that dog myself". George doesn't want Lennie to be tortured by Curley and wants him to die happy thinking of the dream. When shooting Lennie, Steinbeck refers to George's hand as "the hand", perhaps depersonalising the killing taking responsibility from George. George shoots his only companion, paying the ultimate sacrifice for himself. Slim assures him he made the right choice by saying "You hadda, George. I swear, you hadda."
    Conclusion - How George has changed in the novel and what may happen afterwards, he is lonely like the ranch workers he used to feel sympathy for, perhaps his situation is worse as he knows what it is like to have a friendship.

Candy Essay
    Introduction
    - Talk about the role Candy plays in the novel and how he is important.
    Meeting George and Lennie - Candy persuades George and Lennie to stay despite the "grey-backs". He is old and has lost his hand. Steinbeck uses Candy as a messenger to tell about the ranch workers, for example he says Crooks is a "nice fella", "******" and "the stable buck", he calls Curley's Wife a "tart" and says "she got the eye" and tells of how the boss gave them a galleon of whiskey at Christmas and Curley was in a fight with Smitty.
    Doesn't want his dog shot - Carlson pressurises Candy into having his dog shot, by calling it "old" and it "smells", this reflects the character of Candy himself as he is viewed as old and weak. Candy tries to put Calson off by saying "he was the best damn sheep dog I ever seen", he is proud of his dog. He looks to Slim to change his mind, but he doesn't. He pleads "maybe it'd hurt him", but nobody listens to him. "He did not look down at the dog" in fear of showing emotion from the other men, when he hears the gunshot "he rolled slowly over and faced the wall and lay silent". The reader feels sympathy for Candy as he has been bullied and has lost his only companion, Candy later says "I ought to have shot that dog myself".
    Candy joins the dream - George and Lennie forget Candy is in the room when discussing the dream, this illustrates how Candy is viewed on the ranch as people forget he is even there. Candy offers to pay 75% of the asking price ($350), as he is desperate to get away from the ranch and is lonely and wants to belong somewhere. Candy is desperate for new companions after losing his dog, his only companion. He says "I'd make a will an' leave my share to you guys in case I kick off, cause I ain't got no relatives nor nothing." Candy is lonely and has nobody, he has known the men for one day but is willing to give everything to them. "I won't have no place to go, an' I can't get no more jobs" shows how jobs were valued after the Great Depression and how he is viewed as weak and cannot do typical ranch jobs.
    Finding Curley's Wife - When he finds Curley's Wife's body, he asks "What we gonna do now, George...", he is loyal to George and is worried they won't be able to fulfil their dream. He blames Curley's Wife for ruining their dream "You done it... You lousy tart", he calls her a tart after her death showing the cruel treatment of women in 1930s America. Candy repeats the dream which shows how desperate he was to leave the ranch as he memorised the dream in one day, he cries as his dream of companionship and freedom have been taken away from him. He is instructed to say with Curley's Wife's body, this especially shows how he is viewed as the most he is trusted with is her dead body.
    Conclusion - Discuss what has happened to Candy in the novel and how he shown signs of hope this dream of freedom and companionship, explain how Candy's future is bleak as he cannot get another job and will always be viewed as an old, weak ranch worker.

Curley Essay
    Introduction - Talk about the role Curley plays in the novel and he how he is important.
    George and Lennie meet Curley - He comes into the bunkhouse wearing "high-heeled boots" to make him seem taller as he is a small man, and to separate him from the other ranch workers and to give him a sense of authority as he is the son of the boss. He is suspicious of anyone new as he steps "gingerly close" to Lennie with his "hands closed into fists", he tries to intimidate the men. He is aggressive to Lennie as he says "Nex' time you answer when you're spoke to."
    The men gossip about Curley - Candy tells George and Lennie that he is "handy" and "scrappy", he dislikes Lennie because of his size "He hates big guys... He's mad at 'em because he ain't a big guy". The ranch workers dislike Curley but he "won't ever get canned because he's the son of the boss". George makes it clear that he "don't like mean little guys". Candy tells of how Curley has married a "tart", his wife is his possession who he uses to have power over other men, this is the treatment of women in 1930s America. George is disgusted at Curley's "Glove fulla vaseline".
    Fight with Lennie - Slim is annoyed at Curley for asking him where his wife is, Curley backs down in fear of Slim. He tries to vent out his anger on Carlson but he won't be intimidated "You come for me an' I'll kick your God damn head off". He catches Lennie smiling, still at the thought of the dream, but assumes he was laughing at him. He judges Lennie as the least likely to fight back, Slim calls Curley a 'Dirty little rat". Lennie does not fight until George instructs him to "Get 'im". Lennie crushes Curley's hand and leaves him "flopping like a fish". Curley agrees to Slim's idea that he "got his hand caught in a machine" so George and Lennie don't get canned, Curley would be embarrassed about being beaten by Lennie and would be viewed as weak.
    He discovers his wife's dead body - Curley doesn't touch his wife body, Slim is the only one to touch her and check for a pulse. This is the only time in the novel he and his wife are together in the novel, which shows the physical distance in their relationship. Curley knows "That big son-of-a-***** done it" and wants to "shoot 'im in the guts", he is angry that someone dared to touch his possession. He is not upset over his wife's death and only shows anger, he had his wife for pride and not as an actual wife who he could care for. Slim suggests that he is still mad about his hand, Curley views his own hand and his pride more important than his wife. Curley's only intent is to kill Lennie "I'm gonna get 'im."
    Conclusion - Sum up what has happened to Curley in the novel and discuss the effects he has on other characters, remember to comment on his personality. For example, possessive, sexist, etc.

Remember to use key words form the question and refer to the social, cultural and historical context. Really hope this has helped and good luck on the exam!
    thank you ever so much. this is more than i expected. thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)
    thank you ever so much. this is more than i expected. thank you
    You're welcome, hopefully one of these characters come up on Monday, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob7915)
    You're welcome, hopefully one of these characters come up on Monday, good luck.
    cheers mate

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 16, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.