Turn on thread page Beta

How to talk about structure in of mice and men ? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been researching and found that it's a crucial thing you need in your answer along with language analysis,but it's difficult to talk about. I know OMAM is cyclical ,but what else counts as structure? And do you need to talk about it in an inspector calls too?

P.s I should know this 2 days before the exam,but I've had a cover teacher for a large part of the school year :/ and she taught us nothing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely include the fact that the novel takes place over 3 days (Thursday evening - Sunday evening) and that the novel ends in the same location it begins. Perhaps this is Steinbeck's way in presenting the American dream, no matter how much money you have you will always just end up in the same place you began. As for other forms of structure I am unsure like you, and am also unsure about the inspector calls part as you may be on a different exam board to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giorgialouise)
    I've been researching and found that it's a crucial thing you need in your answer along with language analysis,but it's difficult to talk about. I know OMAM is cyclical ,but what else counts as structure? And do you need to talk about it in an inspector calls too?

P.s I should know this 2 days before the exam,but I've had a cover teacher for a large part of the school year :/ and she taught us nothing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! Ok so let me help you out a little...

The whole novel is balanced in somewhat way, it starts and ends outdoors at the pool. It starts while life and dreams, and ends with death... The stuff in between takes place indoors at the ranch.

Although it's a novel it's written like a play!!

* This works well because the entrances and exits are some of the key moments in the novel.

* Each chapter has just one location

* The location descriptions at the beginning of each chapter are more of instructions to a stage designer, they are very specific giving the reader a definite visual image of where the action takes place.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2015

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.