The Student Room Group

Good unis for Comp Sci?

I was going to apply to Durham University as my first choice for computer science, until reading peoples' opinions on it and hearing rumours that the department is underfunded.
Should this deter me?
I also think I will apply to Uni of Birmingham, Uni of Bath, Uni of York and I'm undecided on a fifth and final.
Any other suggestions for good unis for computer science, and in general, in terms of accommodation (and price) and nightlife, etc?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

I've been told that the University of Southampton is very good, and I can vouch for Glasgow Uni since I study there (albeit as an MSc student).
Reply 2
Refer to this table giving the best universities for Computer/Computing Science for 2015/16.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=computer%20science
Reply 3
Original post by IbroSaunks
I've been told that the University of Southampton is very good, and I can vouch for Glasgow Uni since I study there (albeit as an MSc student).

Also heard about Southampton. Was considering it, but, it's just too far (I'm currently in Liverpool) and I assume the cost of living is quite high, also.
Reply 4
Original post by Deci
Refer to this table giving the best universities for Computer/Computing Science for 2015/16.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=computer%20science

Appreciate that, but, I posted this thread for qualitative data.
Thanks though :h:
If Soton's too far then Glasgow's a no-go :smile:

I was going to say UCL but it's probably pricey accommodation wise and far as well...
Reply 6
Original post by IbroSaunks
If Soton's too far then Glasgow's a no-go :smile:

I was going to say UCL but it's probably pricey accommodation wise and far as well...

IBM were doing a graduate scheme linked with UCL, therefore accommodation paid for, etc. I would have easily compromised distance for that opportunity.
Original post by benGVee
Also heard about Southampton. Was considering it, but, it's just too far (I'm currently in Liverpool) and I assume the cost of living is quite high, also.

Southampton is easier to get to from liverpool than Durham. Direct trains twice an hour to birmingham new st, decent motorways and there's flybe at soton airport flying to manchester at least for emergencies. As a student I found it easier to get back to liverpool than it was from outer london. It isn't close enough to do a day trip but it isn't so far to be unmanageable - personally I've found soton to be quite similar to lpool (although a lot greener!) what with the docks/history/general feel. It's a lot more "home" like than durham by far.

Compared to Bath southampton is v cheap (and birmingham uni has a reputation for charging the most for halls so it isn't a cheap option either).

Other than soton manchester has a good dept and edinburgh is worth a look too (although I imagine both might no goes due to location).
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Southampton is easier to get to from liverpool than Durham. Direct trains twice an hour to birmingham new st, decent motorways and there's flybe at soton airport flying to manchester at least for emergencies. As a student I found it easier to get back to liverpool than it was from outer london. It isn't close enough to do a day trip but it isn't so far to be unmanageable - personally I've found soton to be quite similar to lpool (although a lot greener!) what with the docks/history/general feel. It's a lot more "home" like than durham by far.

Compared to Bath southampton is v cheap (and birmingham uni has a reputation for charging the most for halls so it isn't a cheap option either).

Other than soton manchester has a good dept and edinburgh is worth a look too (although I imagine both might no goes due to location).

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to go to a Soton open day, to be fair. I can't just not go to a specific university because of my own picky-ness.

And Birmingham Uni expensive? The costs start at £62 p/w, which is half the price of what accommodation would've been at my choice of college at Durham.

And I've heard good things about Manchester, too, but that almost seems too close and too similar! I'm being unnecessarily picky, to everybody's annoyance.
Original post by benGVee
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to go to a Soton open day, to be fair. I can't just not go to a specific university because of my own picky-ness.

And Birmingham Uni expensive? The costs start at £62 p/w, which is half the price of what accommodation would've been at my choice of college at Durham.

And I've heard good things about Manchester, too, but that almost seems too close and too similar! I'm being unnecessarily picky, to everybody's annoyance.

Birmingham put everyone on a 42 week contract - most unis have 40 week contracts (or 30-35 if you have to move out over xmas/easter). The total costs for brum's cheapest hall is £3,500ish. About the same as the cheapest at soton except at soton that price includes a FULL years buss pass for travel around the city...

For en suite brums prices start at £5,500 - soton starts at £5,200 (and again includes the bus pass).

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/students/accommodation/University-of-Birmingham-accommodation-fees-2015-16.pdf Compared to http://www.southampton.ac.uk/accommodation/halls/fees/1516fees.html

I wouldn't expect birmingham to be more than southampton ... Especially given the extra costs for getting around town.

This isn't new - brum has always been pricey (nottingham is similar).
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Birmingham put everyone on a 42 week contract - most unis have 40 week contracts (or 30-35 if you have to move out over xmas/easter). The total costs for brum's cheapest hall is £3,500ish. About the same as the cheapest at soton except at soton that price includes a FULL years buss pass for travel around the city...

For en suite brums prices start at £5,500 - soton starts at £5,200 (and again includes the bus pass).

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/students/accommodation/University-of-Birmingham-accommodation-fees-2015-16.pdf Compared to http://www.southampton.ac.uk/accommodation/halls/fees/1516fees.html

I wouldn't expect birmingham to be more than southampton ... Especially given the extra costs for getting around town.

This isn't new - brum has always been pricey (nottingham is similar).

Pretty interesting. Thanks a lot for the detailed and relevant replies.
Looking at Southampton, they have some pretty amazing optional modules (Military technology is a personal highlight), and a friend said that the uni has just built 4 new blocks of accommodation, which is pretty intriguing.

Thanks a bunch! :h:
Original post by benGVee
I was going to apply to Durham University as my first choice for computer science, until reading peoples' opinions on it and hearing rumours that the department is underfunded.
Should this deter me?
I also think I will apply to Uni of Birmingham, Uni of Bath, Uni of York and I'm undecided on a fifth and final.
Any other suggestions for good unis for computer science, and in general, in terms of accommodation (and price) and nightlife, etc?

Thanks.

Deffo check out Notts, don't be deceived by the 'low' (not really) ranking - the department produces strong research and the choice of modules/degree options is pretty wide.

Their standard offer is AAA - but it reduces to AAB if you study Computing A-level.

The department (and the university as a whole) is very well respected by employers and draws a lot of big names into its various career fairs. Supposedly, the highest paid grad salary someone had out of Notts' CS program was £48k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Princepieman
Deffo check out Notts, don't be deceived by the 'low' (not really) ranking - the department produces strong research and the choice of modules/degree options is pretty wide.

Their standard offer is AAA - but it reduces to AAB if you study Computing A-level.

The department (and the university as a whole) is very well respected by employers and draws a lot of big names into its various career fairs. Supposedly, the highest paid grad salary someone had out of Notts' CS program was £48k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Notts' accommodation is some of the nicest that I've seen and the modules are good, particularly the optional ones as they seem good for aspiring game devs, with the c++ programming, etc.

Seems like a good shout, to be honest. Thanks :h:
Reply 13
Original post by benGVee
IBM were doing a graduate scheme linked with UCL, therefore accommodation paid for, etc. I would have easily compromised distance for that opportunity.

In that case, I'd recommend UCL, it's a strong uni for CS, and probably has better links with industry than Durham being based in London. The course/modules seem great, and definitely one of my favourites.
No ones mentioned the obvious best, Oxbridge/Imperial?
Reply 15
Original post by Brubeckian
No ones mentioned the obvious best, Oxbridge/Imperial?

Going by his current choices, they're probably just out of range. The grade difference between them and the others is fairly large. Especially Cambridge.
Reply 16
The biggest reason that I haven't thought about Oxbridge/Imperial is STEP. I really didn't like the idea of having to do an entrance exam and the general feel of Oxbridge in particular seems a bit boring to me - although I could well be wrong.
I'm predicted A*A*A at the moment, so I believe that these universities are in my reach.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by benGVee
The biggest reason that I haven't thought about Oxbridge/Imperial is STEP. I really didn't like the idea of having to do an entrance exam and the general feel of Oxbridge in particular seems a bit boring to me - although I could well be wrong.
I'm predicted A*A*A at the moment, so I believe that these universities are in my reach.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You probably won't get a STEP offer for straight CS at Cambridge - those are usually for the CS w/ Maths option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
(Sorry that I'm not quoting - I'm on TSR Mobile) Is that so? Last year when I was looking, STEP was forced for all straight CS courses at both Oxbridge and Warwick.
How is the general feel at Oxbridge, though? I feel like it would be quite closeted and not much 'fun' - I think it'd be quite hard to relate to being from a lower socioeconomic background (although I could just be stereotyping :colondollar: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
You've got no spread there: Durham, Birmingham, Bath, and York will make you the same offer.

If you're predicted as you are, throw out Durham for Oxford and stick Bangor down as the fifth.

Quick Reply