The Student Room Group

AQA French A2 2015 [Unit 3]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kate_maria
Latin. What was wrong with the speaking? You will have done better than you think. I'm hoping for a good essay question too. I'm doing la casa de Bernarda Alba and la Guerra civil. You?

I just had a really challenging examiner! and i remember making quite a few huge grammatical errors :/. I'm doing El Laberinto Del Fauno and La Guerra Civil, but doing my essay on the film haha. And wow 3 languages!! that must be so hard.
Yeah I think I did the same but trying to concentrate on the next exam. Yeah la guerra civil is hard but I think it will depend on the questions as to which topic I will do. Yeah it is really hard but I love them all. You do two languages!! have you sent me your email yet so I can send you the paper?
Omg I'm the only one doing A2 french too and the rest of my subjects.

It's so strange! Its like I've literally had one to one tuition for 2 years (I was the only student to do french at AS too and still failed) :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by annaelizabet
Yeah me too! it could be literally anything, they are usually open ended though. What grade are you hoping for ?

Its quite good that the essay questions are generally simple, especially for AS -the obvious barrier being talking about it fluently in another language :P I need a B in French to get into uni. I got a D last year (B in speaking, E in exam) but ive retaken my AS exam the other day and I feel like I've improved a lot. I didn't feel my A2 speaking went that well so just hoping on the A2 exam now!

Wby? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CelineBean
It's so strange! Its like I've literally had one to one tuition for 2 years (I was the only student to do french at AS too and still failed) :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it is really strange but I've had loads of help.
So terrified because I need an A! We're doing L'Étranger! Anybody else (hopefully) going to do Modern Languages at uni? (I do spanish currently too)
Reply 66
I'm doing Kiffe Kiffe Demain and La Haine

I really like La Haine and dislike the book but I'm unsure what I should choose

since I've done a few (and done badly) essays on the book and haven't studied the film as much I'm not sure which one I should do

also I don't know if theessay questions/style is different for films and more technical?
It is, I'd always suggest doing the novel really!
Original post by Toby912
I'm doing Kiffe Kiffe Demain and La Haine

I really like La Haine and dislike the book but I'm unsure what I should choose

since I've done a few (and done badly) essays on the book and haven't studied the film as much I'm not sure which one I should do

also I don't know if theessay questions/style is different for films and more technical?

There's a really good essay on the AQA website that I think got full marks on Kiffe Kiffe Demain, so maybe look at that and compare it to another one on La Haine to see which is the most sophisticated?
Just wondering what parts of the exam people tend to lose marks on?

I've just done section A (listening + reading + translation) of the June 2014 paper and got full marks on the listening, but managed to lose 9 marks on the reading and translation alone! My main issue is translation, so does anyone have any tips for what sort of things I could do to improve it? I've already done all the translation sections from each paper and marked it, but maybe some tips on what sort of grammar/ unfamiliar vocab I should be learning to prepare for this section?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Claros

I've just done section A (listening + reading + translation) of the June 2014 paper and got full marks on the listening, but managed to lose 9 marks on the reading and translation alone! My main issue is translation, so does anyone have any tips for what sort of things I could do to improve it? I've already done all the translation sections from each paper and marked it, but maybe some tips on what sort of grammar/ unfamiliar vocab I should be learning to prepare for this section?

I get near enough full marks on most translations, unless it's idiomatic phrases.
I dont really have many tips for translations, but the main one is synonyms = your best friend. Aqa like to trick students by throwing in synonyms that appear difficult, when actually they're synonyms for very simple words. Make sure you just remember synonyms that are likely to come up, I.e. for connectives and topic vocab. I did a past paper the other day and the translation had a synonym for 'working illegaly' which I'd never heard of. Also synonyms are good to show your flexibility in essays too so points aren't repeated!
Often the sentence doesn't need to be translated word for word. Normally it requires just a key word (or a tense) to be translated for one mark. Therefore, brush up on any confusing tenses and memorise all your key vocab for the topic (my teacher found these vocab sheets for every single word that could come up based on a specific topic, I think it's on the Kerboodle website).

Also, make sure the translation sounds like it actually 'flows' in English (imagine how you would talk about this specific topic in english and base it on that). In other words, don't always translate word for word UNLESS it sounds like it the translation 'flows' in English when translated word for word. Sometimes you may need to use idiomatic phrases etc instead
And - worst case situation - guess the translation! You know what the topic is on, you should know enough about the topic if you've revised and a lot of the time the translation is based on common sense - for instance, if there were a translation question on biofuels in french and you can't work out what the benefits of biofuels are that it is talking about - take an educated guess based on anything you've heard about biofuels in the news etc or weight it up quickly in your head

Hope this helps! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CelineBean
I get near enough full marks on most translations, unless it's idiomatic phrases.
I dont really have many tips for translations, but the main one is synonyms = your best friend. Aqa like to trick students by throwing in synonyms that appear difficult, when actually they're synonyms for very simple words. Make sure you just remember synonyms that are likely to come up, I.e. for connectives and topic vocab. I did a past paper the other day and the translation had a synonym for 'working illegaly' which I'd never heard of. Also synonyms are good to show your flexibility in essays too so points aren't repeated!
Often the sentence doesn't need to be translated word for word. Normally it requires just a key word (or a tense) to be translated for one mark. Therefore, brush up on any confusing tenses and memorise all your key vocab for the topic (my teacher found these vocab sheets for every single word that could come up based on a specific topic, I think it's on the Kerboodle website).

Also, make sure the translation sounds like it actually 'flows' in English (imagine how you would talk about this specific topic in english and base it on that). In other words, don't always translate word for word UNLESS it sounds like it the translation 'flows' in English when translated word for word. Sometimes you may need to use idiomatic phrases etc instead
And - worst case situation - guess the translation! You know what the topic is on, you should know enough about the topic if you've revised and a lot of the time the translation is based on common sense - for instance, if there were a translation question on biofuels in french and you can't work out what the benefits of biofuels are that it is talking about - take an educated guess based on anything you've heard about biofuels in the news etc or weight it up quickly in your head

Hope this helps! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is helpful, thank you. It's just frustrating when you put a word down that seems valid but turns out to be on the 'reject' section of the mark scheme or is not listed there at all (e.g. the word was 'toutefois', I put 'regardless' but the mark scheme said things like 'nevertheless', despite them basically meaning the same thing).
Original post by Claros

If you look through this thread I uploaded 100 sentences on the topics from the text book that you could translate into french. Got them from a website. I found them useful :smile:
Reply 73
Have you done the specimen paper??

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Specimen paper didn't seem like a real paper! They're usually so much harder than that :frown:
Original post by Han24
The Specimen paper didn't seem like a real paper! They're usually so much harder than that :frown:

I found the specimen paper much easier than the actual most recent ones. But I only have about one past paper left.

Posted from TSR Mobile
me!

I will be hopefully doing French and business management
Anyone got any guesses on what topics they think we'll get?!?
Reply 77
Original post by madshaidee
Anyone got any guesses on what topics they think we'll get?!?

I have a horrible feeling that the translations might be on law and order. I really hope they aren't - I can do things like immigration, probably wealth and poverty, environment... But immigration (well, illegal immigrants) came up last year and environment came up both years before that...
Original post by leahdw
I have a horrible feeling that the translations might be on law and order. I really hope they aren't - I can do things like immigration, probably wealth and poverty, environment... But immigration (well, illegal immigrants) came up last year and environment came up both years before that...

I thought exactly the same! Immigration is the best topic I think for that! I'm sure it will be something horrific like scientific development or law and order ... Oh dear ...
They had science in 2012 or 2013 but I'm yet to see law and order so it's very likely!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending