The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography Exam predictions 19th May

What are you predictions for this exam, like the 6 and 8 markers? Looking at the 2014 paper and specimen paper, the exam style has changed quite a bit compared to the 2013 papers and before, it's a lot more definition and explanation based than case study based. I'm doing Restless Earth, Water on the Land and Ice on the Land but predictions for any topic are welcome :smile:

Scroll to see replies

i am also doing these topics, personally looking at previous papers and stuff im almost certain there will be a 6/8 marker on the effects of a tsunami and im also pretty confidence the formation of a corrie will appear
Reply 2
As said above, for Restless Earth it's almost certain it's either super volcanoes or tsunamis which will appear as the 6/8 markers (which is a shame because the volcanoes and earthquakes are easier xD).
Original post by 'Chris'
As said above, for Restless Earth it's almost certain it's either super volcanoes or tsunamis which will appear as the 6/8 markers (which is a shame because the volcanoes and earthquakes are easier xD).

totally agree, are you doing yellowstone as your case study?
Reply 4
Original post by 'Chris'

Tsunamis has came up twice before so I doubt it'd come up. I don't think a case study of a volcanic eruption has came up yet so I think there's a good chance it'll appear. Also I can imagine there being some question on the formation/characteristics of a supervolcano or a composite/shield volcano.
Reply 5
Original post by reece12345f
totally agree, are you doing yellowstone as your case study?

Yes, although, I don't think you have to know a proper case study e.g. facts and figures- I may be wrong but I think you just need to know how they're formed and the effects they could have it they erupted.
Reply 6
Original post by AAls
Tsunamis has came up twice before so I doubt it'd come up. I don't think a case study of a volcanic eruption has came up yet so I think there's a good chance it'll appear. Also I can imagine there being some question on the formation/characteristics of a supervolcano or a composite/shield volcano.

Have they come up as 8 markers? And you mean normal volcanoes or super ?
Original post by 'Chris'
Yes, although, I don't think you have to know a proper case study e.g. facts and figures- I may be wrong but I think you just need to know how they're formed and the effects they could have it they erupted.

we have focused more on effects and case study numbers and facts rather than their formation, thanks for the tip ill go revise their formation now haha
Reply 8
A volcano case study has never come up, nor has a case study of a 'retreating glacier' but I'm not sure if that means they'll be more likely or not. Super volcanoes aren't actually a case study, but there are enough points to make a 6 marker out of, and they could give you an extract and turn it into an 8 marker
Yeah.. the volcano case study has not come up so learning the Montserrat one and the retreating glacier one for ice on the land. They have been giving more extracts last year and explaining them, it can even be easier sometimes.

What else is everyone doing? I am also doing water on the land
Reply 10
Anyone any predictions for water on land and The Living world? These seem quite unpredictable! I think the exact same for the restless earth - volcano case study is very likely
Reply 11
For any doing Weather and Climate, I'm almost certain we'll have to compare/contrast a tropical storm in an LEDC to one in an MEDC, since that hasn't come up before
Any questions I should know for the exam? We do Restless Earth, Water on the Land, The Coastal Zone

or any topics? Case study?
Water on the land you should know the MEDC and LEDC flood case studies, and a dam one as well. I feel that the dam case study will come up as a 4 or 6 marker and now its more about knowing definitions and explanation/formation of things, so in water of the land it might be like 'why do rivers in the upper course have a relatively narrow and steep valley?' [2] so its just basic explaining (although this can be pretty hard, like last year you had to explain what a truncated spur was and I got 0/2 when i did it)
Reply 14
Original post by neon_reaper
Water on the land you should know the MEDC and LEDC flood case studies, and a dam one as well. I feel that the dam case study will come up as a 4 or 6 marker and now its more about knowing definitions and explanation/formation of things, so in water of the land it might be like 'why do rivers in the upper course have a relatively narrow and steep valley?' [2] so its just basic explaining (although this can be pretty hard, like last year you had to explain what a truncated spur was and I got 0/2 when i did it)

What dam case study? In 2013, there was an 8 mark about issues from dams and reservoirs; might be unlikely?
Reply 15
My topics are coastal zone, water on land and restless earth. Any tips on what to revise?
Original post by Zulq
My topics are coastal zone, water on land and restless earth. Any tips on what to revise?

I am doing the same topics
Original post by ozmo19
What dam case study? In 2013, there was an 8 mark about issues from dams and reservoirs; might be unlikely?

I did Kielder Water, and I think its unlikely as an 8 marker but it may come up as a 4 or 6 marker, just about the issues with dams so its worth revising
Reply 18
Original post by neon_reaper
I did Kielder Water, and I think its unlikely as an 8 marker but it may come up as a 4 or 6 marker, just about the issues with dams so its worth revising

three gorges dam???
Original post by Zulq
three gorges dam???

Yeah i suppose. You just need to know the impacts (advantages and disadvantages) of a dam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending