Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am an American hoping to study for my master's degree in Middle Eastern Studies at SOAS. SOAS is really well-known, especially among Middle Eastern studies students, so I am a bit worried I am not up to par.

I got my bachelor's degree in Middle Eastern Studies in 2013. I graduated from state univeristy with a 3.48 overall gpa (just short of the 3.5 SOAS recommends) but my major gpa is a lot higher. I also presented two papers on the Middle East at a religious studies symposium at my university. I don't have much work experience related to my field but I've been living in the Middle East and managing an educational NGO since graduation. I speak pretty decent Modern Standard Arabic and Egyptican Arabic. After getting my master's degree, I am hoping to work for a development NGO in the Middle East.

I'd appreciate any sort of feed back on my chances of getting into SOAS. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Short Answer: Yes you stand a chance, you should apply.

Long Answer: being only .2 GPA points below required is fine, provided the competition for a place on your course doesn't average ridiculously high grades (say a First/3.7 GPA). Added to the fact that it sounds like you have a clear and continued interest in the region as well as selling your paper presentations well in any personal statement plus good references, suggests you'll be fine.

Only thing I'll say is I think your a bit late for the 2015 intake seeing as it's a rolling intake, but you have to June 30 and there isn't an application fee, so go for it, whats the worst that can happen!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.