Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How can i revise for unseen poetry - im so rubbish at poetry its unreal,never mind ones ive never seen before

ReputationRep:
    u cant really revise for it lol ... practice the poems you have to learn... this will help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark000)
    u cant really revise for it lol ... practice the poems you have to learn... this will help
    Ive tried doing past papers of the ones before but i cant even start, i have no idea what to write as i dont know what its telling me.. im just ****ed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbiefield)
    Ive tried doing past papers of the ones before but i cant even start, i have no idea what to write as i dont know what its telling me.. im just ****ed
    watch some videos how to analyse on youtube and make notes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark000)
    watch some videos how to analyse on youtube and make notes
    okay thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Forget the unseen poems they are always such goggledygook you don't stand a chance in hell of understanding them..

ReputationRep:
    okay thankyou
    np xD good luck

ReputationRep:
    Bitesize has some advice I think, also look at unseen poetry gcse comparison videos on YouTube where a teacher talks you through it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When you say you don't know what its telling you, do you mean like theme? Or that you struggle to look for devices and link it to the poem?

Might be able to help, got an A* at GCSE and doing English Lang and Lit and A-level

ReputationRep:
    I look for poetic devices, try my hardest to learn them, and then practice by getting random poems and doing a plan for them, then repeat.
    I think I'm going to have to end up doing the unseen poem as we've only learnt ten of the fifteen we're supposed to learn and I bet at least two of the poems are ones we haven't learnt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiejardine)
    When you say you don't know what its telling you, do you mean like theme? Or that you struggle to look for devices and link it to the poem?

Might be able to help, got an A* at GCSE and doing English Lang and Lit and A-level
    God you must be good and just everything in general... i dont know the theme, what devices it uses or the language in it and i hope you can thankyou so much

ReputationRep:
    I hate poetry.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    God you must be good and just everything in general... i dont know the theme, what devices it uses or the language in it and i hope you can thankyou so much
    Theme's can be really general, go with your gut feeling. If you can back up your view they can't penalise you!

I used a technique called ARTWARS at GCSE.

About
    Rhyme/Rhythm
    Tone
    Words (word/lexis choice)
    Alliteration
    Repetition
    Structure

If you can, talk about the title, easy marks

Devices (common):

Alliteration, repetition, power of three (triad), similes, metaphors, pathetic fallacy, onomatopoeia, juxtaposition/antithesis, enjambment, direct address, pronouns, dialect/colloquial language (in relation to word choice) etc.

Structure can be an easy paragraph as well! If the poem is in one continuous, long stanza and its a memory, you could relate it too how the narrator remembers it all once; showing how vivid the memory is. This could also create a bombastic (rant like) tone etc.

What exam board do you do?

(Some of this might be different to whats required at GCSE, I'm stuck in A-level mode right now haha)

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiejardine)
    Theme's can be really general, go with your gut feeling. If you can back up your view they can't penalise you!

I used a technique called ARTWARS at GCSE.

About
    Rhyme/Rhythm
    Tone
    Words (word/lexis choice)
    Alliteration
    Repetition
    Structure

If you can, talk about the title, easy marks

Devices (common):

Alliteration, repetition, power of three (triad), similes, metaphors, pathetic fallacy, onomatopoeia, juxtaposition/antithesis, enjambment, direct address, pronouns, dialect/colloquial language (in relation to word choice) etc.

Structure can be an easy paragraph as well! If the poem is in one continuous, long stanza and its a memory, you could relate it too how the narrator remembers it all once; showing how vivid the memory is. This could also create a bombastic (rant like) tone etc.

What exam board do you do?

(Some of this might be different to whats required at GCSE, I'm stuck in A-level mode right now haha)

Hope this helps!
    Thankyou!!!!!! this actually helps me soo much and WJEC, thankyou for your help it means alot

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou!!!!!! this actually helps me soo much and WJEC, thankyou for your help it means alot
    Ah, so is this English Literature then?

(This is the exam board I did English Language and English Literature on when I did my GCSEs).

ReputationRep:
    No problem, if you need anything else just ask or send me a message, I'm happy to help I can read answers and give feedback if that helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.