The Student Room Group

Would you make your children cook and clean?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I know people in their 20s who still have their parents doing their cooking and cleaning for them, claiming to not know long to boil rice, or how to cook a chicken, or how to use a washing machine.

I take it you're going through a phase of teenage angst right now and are pissed off at your parents for making you pitch in? Aww diddums.

That is bad parenting fullstop, nothing to do with making them clean and cook from young. If you bring them up well they wouldnt do that. Just admit it
If I had the time I'd probably teach my 9 year old to do more cooking. She's desperate to cook full dinners, but right now things are hectic so I try and cook as quickly as I can. I know she'd be good at it though. When I was her age I baked buns and cakes on my own, and made things like scrambled / boiled eggs, welsh rarebits, pasta and so on. I hope to get a bit of chance to teach her more during the summer.I'm also planning a session on how to use the washing machine at some point soon for both the 9 and 7 year olds (though my 7 year old has short term memory problems, so I'll probably need to teach him what to do at least 10 times before he retains what I'm telling him).

That sounds like a good plan! It seems like you're taking it easy and patiently with them and that's really cool :smile:
I wished my dad had been more like that lol :redface:
My two boys (6&3) make their beds and tidy up their toys. They put their dinner plates at sink and make sure sweetie wrappers and stuff are put in the bin.

When it comes to cooking I let them help me (safety first obviously) my mum taught me and one of best skill I have left home with. My husband on other hand can't cook to save himself before he met me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jlsmp
That is bad parenting fullstop, nothing to do with making them clean and cook from young. If you bring them up well they wouldnt do that. Just admit it

lol and people automatically know how to cook without being taught, do they?

Part of bringing children up well, is teaching them how to handle things in a house. Age appropriate tasks prepare them.

As for "making them cook" - hahaha, they WANT to cook. They love cooking!

Admittedly they don't love cleaning (apart from hoovering, they all love hoovering, they fight over the hoover), but tough, we're a family, we all live here, we all make the messes (they make far more mess than I do!), we all pitch in together. I don't sit back and watch them clean, I get the lion's share, but they damned well have to do something to help, yes, and I'm not remotely ashamed of that.

Go whinge at your own parents if you have a problem with your chores poppet.

Part of bringing children up well, is teaching them how to handle things in a house. Age appropriate tasks prepare them.

Admittedly they don't love cleaning (apart from hoovering, they all love hoovering, they fight over the hoover), but tough, we're a family, we all live here, we all make the messes (they make far more mess than I do!), we all pitch in together. I don't sit back and watch them clean, I get the lion's share, but they damned well have to do something to help, yes, and I'm not remotely ashamed of that.

YES!!! A fellow parent after my own heart!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25

yep, they dont need to be taught, if they can spend countless hours in front of their instagrams and facebooks and twitter im sure they are well capable of googling recipes
Original post by cmurray90602
My two boys (6&3) make their beds and tidy up their toys. They put their dinner plates at sink and make sure sweetie wrappers and stuff are put in the bin.

When it comes to cooking I let them help me (safety first obviously) my mum taught me and one of best skill I have left home with. My husband on other hand can't cook to save himself before he met me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate cooking, but needs must. I can cook perfectly well, but I don't care for it particularly. My husband loves it, but his mobility problems means that I end up doing it most of the time. Meh.
no man we have workers for that
Original post by jlsmp
yep, they dont need to be taught, if they can spend countless hours in front of their instagrams and facebooks and twitter im sure they are well capable of googling recipes

Better scrap cookery lessons in school as well then according to you.
Original post by jlsmp

Next you'll say chivalry is dead and pointless?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Better scrap cookery lessons in school as well then according to you.

yep they exist because people are lazy
Original post by cmurray90602
YES!!! A fellow parent after my own heart!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the only sensible way really :wink:

I will admit mine don't make their beds on a morning. I don't make my own bed to be honest, the duvet just sort of gets flung back on.

*guilty confession* lol
Original post by jlsmp
yep they exist because people are lazy

Beginning to think you're just bored this evening and thought 'hey I know, I'll go troll TSR for a while for ****s and giggles.'
It's the only sensible way really :wink:

I will admit mine don't make their beds on a morning. I don't make my own bed to be honest, the duvet just sort of gets flung back on.

*guilty confession* lol

Haha it's not perfect but it's "tidier"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Beginning to think you're just bored this evening and thought 'hey I know, I'll go troll TSR for a while for ****s and giggles.'

well thought out response i see
Original post by jlsmp
well thought out response i see

I've given many well thought out responses. You're still replying with comments which suggest you're a petulant teenager. Either you're sore about your own chores and grumpy that your parents make you help out around the house, or you're trolling. Either way, it's quite pointless me continuing to address you because you're only going to come out with more of the same.

You think parents shouldn't teach kids how to manage household chores. Okay. We'll leave it there and just agree to disagree.
Yes but not much. Maybe I'd make them clean their room once a week and teach them how to cook at 14 or so but I wouldn't force that on them. My parents never forced me and I can cook and clean pretty great.
Reply 37
My culture pretty much forces children to do those things at a young age: ever since my mum got pregnant with my little brother, I had to help her clean and cook (I was 8 back then). They didn't force me to clean everyday, but I volunteered to clean whenever I had no school and cooked a bit (until I turned 15 and became lazy).

So far I had learned various of skills such as sowing, fixing any problems around the house without calling a professional (and even searching for solutions on Google to do it myself) which really does come in handy and saves money.

So yeah, I would pretty much make my kids do all of these, but without forcing them.
Yes, I already taught some twins (children of a friend of dad) how to make muffins out of digestive biscuits and apples (with honey and a bit of orange squeezed in it), how to clean their room together to save time and "who folds more clothes to fill up a drawer wins".
They were even curious to see how I made soup. Children are adorable, and the best thing about them is that they're curious. If you know how to get their attention, you can teach them anything.
Reply 39
I'd expect them to be proficient at making lobster thermidor by the age of 4.

Quick Reply

Latest