Turn on thread page Beta

what would you say are the best martial arts styles for street fighting and why? watch

ReputationRep:
    you can combine a few styles if you want e.g. wing chun with sambo. You could say JKD or Krav Maga, but you cant just say "MMA" because MMA will break down into certain styles or techniques derived from certain styles e.g. boxing with muay thai with bjj with judo etc and different MMA instructors may have different backgrounds in these individual styles.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody's answered this?

I'd go with escrima. Strong focus on disabling your opponent as quickly as possible with no time for anybody else to get involved. Yes there's the stick fighting aspect, and there's always something in the street you can use. Failing that, escrima also teaches an empty hand version.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Nobody's answered this?

I'd go with escrima. Strong focus on disabling your opponent as quickly as possible with no time for anybody else to get involved. Yes there's the stick fighting aspect, and there's always something in the street you can use. Failing that, escrima also teaches an empty hand version.
    I think given enough time, escrima is a powerful tool, same as any martial art. But comparably to Krav it doesn't stand up imo, it's incredibly rigid and relies on the completion of one movement to transition into the other; whereas Krav is far more unstructured and fluid, same as any real fight.
    The stick fighting aspect of Escrima really gets to me, honestly. Granted if you find a stick, you're gonna do some damage. But are you going to find a stick of the same length and weight that you've been practicing with? Nope. Krav teaches a range of stick and baton defences that I've seen put against Escrima instructors, Escrima instructors lost 8/10 times.

In terms of Escrima hand to hand, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's based on weapon usage, just without the weapon? Surely this is a recipe for disaster, if your hand is mimicking a knife, and you chop at my forearm, it'll do no lasting damage at all. All you'll get is a cross to the face for your trouble.

If you do Escrima for long enough I'm sure you'll end up being lethal, but in terms of self defence, go with Krav. It's based on gross motor functions, meaning that all of the movements you'll see will be natural, there'll be no crazy hand placements or angles you need to consider (within reason). It'll teach you how to get out of a situation, and what to do if things turn ugly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDaave)
    I think given enough time, escrima is a powerful tool, same as any martial art. But comparably to Krav it doesn't stand up imo, it's incredibly rigid and relies on the completion of one movement to transition into the other; whereas Krav is far more unstructured and fluid, same as any real fight.
    The stick fighting aspect of Escrima really gets to me, honestly. Granted if you find a stick, you're gonna do some damage. But are you going to find a stick of the same length and weight that you've been practicing with? Nope. Krav teaches a range of stick and baton defences that I've seen put against Escrima instructors, Escrima instructors lost 8/10 times.

In terms of Escrima hand to hand, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's based on weapon usage, just without the weapon? Surely this is a recipe for disaster, if your hand is mimicking a knife, and you chop at my forearm, it'll do no lasting damage at all. All you'll get is a cross to the face for your trouble.

If you do Escrima for long enough I'm sure you'll end up being lethal, but in terms of self defence, go with Krav. It's based on gross motor functions, meaning that all of the movements you'll see will be natural, there'll be no crazy hand placements or angles you need to consider (within reason). It'll teach you how to get out of a situation, and what to do if things turn ugly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hand to hand, escrima will lose much of the time - it doesn't teach specific empty-hand techniques as much as you instinctively perform some movements from stick strikes.

Stick wise, it's not just sticks - umbrellas, pens, planks of wood - you can use pretty much anything. That's why there are three different ranges, as you can't perform a long range strike with a pen but you can certainly do a nasty hammer blow with one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Hand to hand, escrima will lose much of the time - it doesn't teach specific empty-hand techniques as much as you instinctively perform some movements from stick strikes.

Stick wise, it's not just sticks - umbrellas, pens, planks of wood - you can use pretty much anything. That's why there are three different ranges, as you can't perform a long range strike with a pen but you can certainly do a nasty hammer blow with one.
    Fair, I suppose it's more of an offensive art. Equally, means you're likely to get arrested if you use it; can't really claim self defence if you break a plank over someone's head... That's why Krav doesn't emphasise disarms until you get into the higher gradings.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.