Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'd just like some advice regarding my plans for the academic year ahead.

I'm currently studying Maths, Physics & Chemistry at AS level. At the start of the year, I was determined to work hard all year round to achieve the best grades possible. However, I failed to commit myself to revision (now feeling very regretful).

I feel that if I was to retake the year, then I would be able to perform better in my exams (now that I've realized that this whole year went to waste).

I guess what I'm asking is, what are the pros and cons of retaking the year (2015)? Was it comfortable learning again with the lower year group? Were you made distant to your other friends because you chose to retake?

If anybody here has retaken, please do share your story - it'll help me to make a more informed decision.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Just a note, A-level structures are changing so if you were to resit them all through to A2, you wont have any exams next year. (You only sit an AS exam if you are dropping it afterwards, this is decided upon January mock results)

I'm currently in my first year at college too so I can't really speak form re-takers point of view, but many of my friends are re-taking so they have been able to make new friends pretty well and are comfortable in class, they also spend half their time hanging out with their old friends too so I guess they're getting on well. I guess it all depends on your willingness to make new friends and how segregated (if thats the right word) the year 12 and 13s are at your college! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosie213)
    Just a note, A-level structures are changing so if you were to resit them all through to A2, you wont have any exams next year. (You only sit an AS exam if you are dropping it afterwards, this is decided upon January mock results)

I'm currently in my first year at college too so I can't really speak form re-takers point of view, but many of my friends are re-taking so they have been able to make new friends pretty well and are comfortable in class, they also spend half their time hanging out with their old friends too so I guess they're getting on well. I guess it all depends on your willingness to make new friends and how segregated (if thats the right word) the year 12 and 13s are at your college! Good luck
    Thanks for the response Rosie. That's another thing - do you think that it'll be more difficult to sit all of the exams at the end of the two years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishtihussain)
    Thanks for the response Rosie. That's another thing - do you think that it'll be more difficult to sit all of the exams at the end of the two years?
    Yeah that's a difficult question.. I guess the grade boundaries will be lower, but a lot of specifications will change so there will be less past papers and potentially some new content depending on the exam board. It's enough to put me off personally, but I suppose you could wait and see if your results are salvageable? You could just resit a few AS levels next year if you needed

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's the whole point - as well as you not being able to retake.

Why did you only pick 3 subjects at AS?

ReputationRep:
    Just resit the modules you did bad on next year as someone said. If your not happy with your as levels overall then just resit the year.

For further info the maths syllabus will stay the same next year but the chemistry and biology will change a bit. Not sure about physcis as i dont do it

ReputationRep:
    I initially only wanted to do 3 A levels. Especially with Chemistry and Physics (which are more intensive with content), I thought that I'd need to put in a lot more time into these subjects hence I decided to just stick with 3 really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's what I'm considering at the moment. I'll just have to see how my results turn out in August I guess and decide then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's a difficult question.. I guess the grade boundaries will be lower, but a lot of specifications will change so there will be less past papers and potentially some new content depending on the exam board. It's enough to put me off personally, but I suppose you could wait and see if your results are salvageable? You could just resit a few AS levels next year if you needed
    I would retake the subjects the I'd like to improve my grade in, however I may not be able to (due to timetable arrangement)... Or can they accommodate us around that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would retake the subjects the I'd like to improve my grade in, however I may not be able to (due to timetable arrangement)... Or can they accommodate us around that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends on your college really, is there a head of sixth you could speak to about it?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your college really, is there a head of sixth you could speak to about it?
    There is... but she'd be rather disappointed if I told her that I wanted to retake.

I'll inquire and find out more on Monday to see what she'd suggest

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maths isn't changing until September 2017 I think however Chemistry and Physics are changing and will start teaching new spec from September 2015, but I'm not sure if schools have to start the teaching from those dates. However other subjects aren't changing until September 2016 (like geography, philosophy, religious studies, there's a list of them, can't find it ATM)

So if you do retake the year and think you may struggle under the new format, then maybe consider changing one of the sciences for a subject that isn't being reformed?

(I also take the same subjects as you and have had thoughts of a 3rd year but for now, I'm gonna revise and try my best and see what I get on results day)

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my second year, but I am currently resitting four AS exams (2 biology, 2 chemistry) as well. I have found revising the units again far easier than last year; and I don't find it particularly stressful having these 4 exams on top of the 8 exams I already have (obviously might be different for others).
    To avoid the new A Level changes, I believe you can continue A2 next year as normal. But also retake any units you didn't do too well in alongside that. It might sound like a difficult task to do, but honestly it's not as bad as it sounds. Especially as AS exams are usually a month before A2 exams, so they aren't bundled together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheLikeTheMango)
    Maths isn't changing until September 2017 I think however Chemistry and Physics are changing and will start teaching new spec from September 2015, but I'm not sure if schools have to start the teaching from those dates. However other subjects aren't changing until September 2016 (like geography, philosophy, religious studies, there's a list of them, can't find it ATM)

So if you do retake the year and think you may struggle under the new format, then maybe consider changing one of the sciences for a subject that isn't being reformed?

(I also take the same subjects as you and have had thoughts of a 3rd year but for now, I'm gonna revise and try my best and see what I get on results day)
    Oh okay. I do Physics at a different school (as my school does not offer Physics as an A level subject) - I don't think they'd allow me to retake if I'm honest but I'll have to confirm that.

Good luck with revision btw :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prophetkid)
    I'm in my second year, but I am currently resitting four AS exams (2 biology, 2 chemistry) as well. I have found revising the units again far easier than last year; and I don't find it particularly stressful having these 4 exams on top of the 8 exams I already have (obviously might be different for others).
    To avoid the new A Level changes, I believe you can continue A2 next year as normal. But also retake any units you didn't do too well in alongside that. It might sound like a difficult task to do, but honestly it's not as bad as it sounds. Especially as AS exams are usually a month before A2 exams, so they aren't bundled together.
    Do none of your AS/A2 classes clash? That's something that I'm concerned about (e.g if A2 Maths class would class my AS Maths). How did your school work around that?

ReputationRep:
    Why not just revise a lot in the summer holidays. 8/9 weeks to cover all AS content is doable. You could in this time atleast cover 2 subjects.

Then just plough through A2.

If A2 doesn't go so well take a gap year and resit then, I personally wouldn't reccomend before hand though. Also when you cover the A2 content in school it will make the AS stuff look easy.

ReputationRep:
    Do none of your AS/A2 classes clash? That's something that I'm concerned about (e.g if A2 Maths class would class my AS Maths). How did your school work around that?
    Don't worry about the exam season

Try to think of the content to cover atm

ReputationRep:
    I decided not to take any AS classes, and just revise in my own time. However, the AS classes don't seem to clash with my timetable.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay. I do Physics at a different school (as my school does not offer Physics as an A level subject) - I don't think they'd allow me to retake if I'm honest but I'll have to confirm that.

Good luck with revision btw :yes:
    Thanks man, you too, try your best right now and see what you get before making any big decisions.

Have you thought of doing an A-level in one year? I'm keeping that as one of my backup options in case I don't do well in one of my subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I did Chemistry, Psychology, Biology and Maths last year and got UEEU. Instead of giving up I decided to switch colleges, change my subjects and retake the year, and I chose Film Studies, Sociology and kept Psychology. Although these subjects are easier I feel that I am in a much better place mentally and am more prepared revision-wise this year. I'm predicted ABB. Retaking the year isn't as bad or as shameful as some people make it out to be, it simply means it took more time to work out where you wanted your life to go. My career choice has completely changed in the last year.

Good Luck with your exam results x

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.