Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

It'd be great if someone could advise please, as I'm in a bit of a muddle and it may be one of those obvious questions that isn't dawning on me.
    When I do past papers it often states to write an equation, I've got into a habit of drawing out the reactants and products of the equation. I find this easier and you don't have to learn the molecular formulas( by this I mean my molecular formula never matches the one in the mark scheme).
    Would this be penalised?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakez18)
    Hi

It'd be great if someone could advise please, as I'm in a bit of a muddle and it may be one of those obvious questions that isn't dawning on me.
    When I do past papers it often states to write an equation, I've got into a habit of drawing out the reactants and products of the equation. I find this easier and you don't have to learn the molecular formulas( by this I mean my molecular formula never matches the one in the mark scheme).
    Would this be penalised?

Thanks
    What do you mean by drawing?

What level are you studying at? GCSE/A-Level?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Thanks for replying.
    By drawing I mean doing the displayed formula. I'm studying A level.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Thanks for replying.
    By drawing I mean doing the displayed formula. I'm studying A level.
    Then surely you can write the molecular formula? I'm confused

If it doesn't specify which type of formula to use, doing that is probably fine.

In OCR Chem A you are usually told a formula to use (in which case, yes, you would be penalised for using the wrong one), but I'm not sure which exam board you're on, so it may be different :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    Then surely you can write the molecular formula? I'm confused

If it doesn't specify which type of formula to use, doing that is probably fine.

In OCR Chem A you are usually told a formula to use (in which case, yes, you would be penalised for using the wrong one), but I'm not sure which exam board you're on, so it may be different :yep:
    I think its obvious I don't explain myself very well

It doesn't specify in the question I'm doing the AQA exam board.

for example if I needed to write the formula for ethanoic anhydride I'd write CH3COOCOCH3 but in the mark scheme it'd say (CH3CO)^2 O. I know that they're the same but I worry I'd be penalised. There's lot of instances where I've written the formula backwards/differently to them.

ReputationRep:
    I think its obvious I don't explain myself very well

It doesn't specify in the question I'm doing the AQA exam board.

for example if I needed to write the formula for ethanoic anhydride I'd write CH3COOCOCH3 but in the mark scheme it'd say (CH3CO)^2 O. I know that they're the same but I worry I'd be penalised. There's lot of instances where I've written the formula backwards/differently to them.
    Ah, I see what you mean - you do the shorthand/condensded formula and they've written the molecular formula.

Does it not say anything about it in the mark schemes? :dontknow:

I wouldn't think they could mark you wrong for using a different type of formula, but I'm not too sure what AQA Chem is like - maybe you're meant to put molecular for everything or something?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.