Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So lets say i get AAAB this year for my AS (the B being in Geography).
    I want to apply to Dentistry which is very competitive therefore 4A's is most desirable. So, if i do a different AS (replacing Geography) while im doing A2 , and get an A, if i apply for dentistry next year can i put that i got AAAAB for my AS levels or does it count as some sort of retake and will i be at a disadvantage to everyone else?

Thanks the anyone who responds

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can I ask what other A-levels you are taking? I am definetely doing Bio and Chem and I've heard it'a good to take Maths as well but I suck at Maths so I've been thinking of Spanish, would I be in disadvantage if I took Spanish instead of Maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karzen)
    Hi, can I ask what other A-levels you are taking? I am definetely doing Bio and Chem and I've heard it'a good to take Maths as well but I suck at Maths so I've been thinking of Spanish, would I be in disadvantage if I took Spanish instead of Maths?
    I take Geography, Psychology, Chemistry, Biology. And yes, maths does help but its not essential - if you believe you're not good at it/dont like it and think you will get a bad grade then i suggest you choose something that will get you higher grades.

My friends who got A/A*'s at GCSE - they are now getting C/D/E and rarely B so its quite hard, but dont let that put you off.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please help?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think unis tend to look as much at AS levels unless they are pretty bad obviously. I have an offer and I got BBBB.

ReputationRep:
    Your fourth AS level really doesn't matter that much, especially as it is in Geography and not Bio or Chem. If you do well in your entrance exams you have every chance of getting offers

(I know someone with ABBB at AS with 3 medicine offers)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty123A)
    I want to apply to Dentistry which is very competitive therefore 4A's is most desirable. So, if i do a different AS (replacing Geography) while im doing A2 , and get an A, if i apply for dentistry next year can i put that i got AAAAB for my AS levels or does it count as some sort of retake and will i be at a disadvantage to everyone else?

there are no more AS exams next year, so you can't do an AS subject during A2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthewames97)
    I don't really think unis tend to look as much at AS levels unless they are pretty bad obviously. I have an offer and I got BBBB.
    Congrats! From where may I ask?

ReputationRep:

3As and a B are perfectly satisfactory. Maybe you won't get a B if you work really hard for Geography, I felt the same about History AS level and I got an A! As other people have said, I do know people with Bs at AS level who had interviews for medicine and dentistry and received offers. So long as you do a sterling job of you personal statement and have plenty to you person, so to speak, you will get in just fine. Remember, they want 'people' to be medics, not just clever people.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! From where may I ask?
    Newcastle

ReputationRep:
    I got aabb last year and got 2 offers and 4 interviews.. I don't think it really matters tbh as long as you get 3As at the end of the 2 years with Bio and Chem being two of them.. BUT I did get one of my B's in chemistry and on a personal note it obviously would be much easier to have gotten an A last year than having to retake all my AS modules as well as juggling the A2s this year.. so with regards to unis, I don't think they care much (as long as they're not drastically low) but obviously getting as high as possible in your AS' will increase your chance of getting the critical 3As. Some unis do have requirements about ASs on their websites though

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2015
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.