Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to lose fat but not sure if I should lift weights. I want to avoid bulking. I am unsure about these questions below.

Should I lift weights?
    How many reps and sets for (cutting) losing fat?
    How much weight?

ReputationRep:
    - Definitely lift weights, you'll gain muscle and burn calories at the same time.
    - When starting you should probably use low reps but a high weight, as this will build a strength platform. For losing weight counting calories in your diet is most important.
    - Always pick a weight that is challenging for the number of reps, but you can do the exercises properly, when staring this will likely be a low weight so bear that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BulkBogan)
    - Definitely lift weights, you'll gain muscle and burn calories at the same time.
    - When starting you should probably use low reps but a high weight, as this will build a strength platform. For losing weight counting calories in your diet is most important.
    - Always pick a weight that is challenging for the number of reps, but you can do the exercises properly, when staring this will likely be a low weight so bear that in mind.
    Ok thanks. I am just worried i will bulk how many reps and sets would you say?
    And is training everyday going to make me bulk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acrux)
    Ok thanks. I am just worried i will bulk how many reps and sets would you say?
    And is training everyday going to make me bulk?
    you won't bulk because you'll be in an energy deficit, lifting is to retain what muscle you do have while in a caloric deficit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acrux)
    I want to lose fat but not sure if I should lift weights. I want to avoid bulking. I am unsure about these questions below.

Should I lift weights?
    How many reps and sets for (cutting) losing fat?
    How much weight?
    Male or female you won't get 'bulky' just by occasionally lifting weights. To get bulky you have to lift for years, have a perfect diet, lift heavy and train almost everyday, have good genetics and in lots of cases end up taking steroids.

As for rep ranges, focus on 3 sets of 12 reps when you're starting out. Keep rest between sets minimal, certainly under a minute, closer to 30 seconds towards to end of the workout to burn you out.

Furthermore, if you're in a calorific deficit, you won't build much muscle at all, so there's absolutely no chance whatsoever of you getting bulky.

ReputationRep:
    When you start out do 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps on all exercises until you have perfect form. This should be until about 2 to 3 weeks. Then increase the weights until youre finding 4 to 6 reps challenging. Low reps will help you to retain muscle while in a deficit. Lifting 3 to 4 days a week is optimal as your energy levels wont be high enough to lift everyday. Some good programs you can look up are starting strength, stronglifts 5×5, and an upper lower split.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.