Turn on thread page Beta

I feel odd for having spent £2000 on a PC watch

ReputationRep:
    Some time ago, I think I may have posted a thread in which I explained that I was going to receive £21,000 as the pension of my dead uncle. I have now received this money, and have given my mum £5,000 of it, as I did owe her around £2,000 for a holiday I took to Switzerland last July. I had given her another £3,000 as interest, so that she can now go to Singapore in January of 2016. Being a student, I have always been conservative in my spending, but over the past week, I had been awestruck at seeing so much money in my online saver, so I decided to put £2,000 of it towards a new gaming PC I have tonight finished building. Specs: Intel i7 4790K 4.6GHZ, 16GB RAM, GTX 980 4GB, 1TB, Z97 ASUS mobo, Samsung SSD etc. All of the parts are high end, bar the HDD from my old PC. The monitor, although not 4K ready, is a Samsung curved 27 inch! This makes for a huge improvement from my old PC; its specs I would be embarrassed to share should you ask! Oh, and I also bought an Ipad Air 2. With all of that said, a strange feeling, unlike anything I have experienced before, does have me feeling 'odd'. A part of me likes all of this shiny new technology that has me playing GTA V at 60FPS, but another part of me, wishes that I had not spent my money on it. I feel like dismantling my PC and taking every part back to the many stores whence they came. I miss seeing £16,000 lying ideally in my bank account, and while I would like to see it again, I do enjoy my PC very much! Its power is immense and I am ashamed at how far I am behind the current tech zeitgeist that has me completing whether or not to buy a windows surface 4 come July. I am now left differentiating between the essential and non-essential parts, and will probably take the latter back to the stores to increase my balance again. Granted, many of you will be richer than me, though many of you will be poorer. Is this how the rich do feel? Is there this battle between spending and saving? ... I think that this money has given me a kind of vignette to being rich... If you get me...

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel bad. I spent £3,500 on mine a year or so ago.

If you feel you'll get £2,000 use out of it, then it's money well spent. Beats spending it all on booze and pissing it up against a wall.

ReputationRep:
    It is your grandfather's money, would he have wanted you to spend all of that money on a computer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael P)
    x
    (Original post by A5ko)
    x
    your machines must be so overkill :groovy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scriberg)
    your machines must be so overkill :groovy:
    I used to be able to open black holes with mine.

Now I just use it to time travel.

ReputationRep:
    no, thats not how the rich feel, thats how those of us feel when we have money but know we cant use it because it would take us a LOOOOONG time to earn it back again.
    Put the rest of it in an ISA and forget about it until you want a house imo

ReputationRep:
    If you feel you'll use that PC a lot for running some really high end shizznit then it isn't odd. A good investment, really. Although when has anybody ever needed 16GB of RAM? Seriously

EDIT: Don't buy a windows surface 4. That would be a waste of money, they're crap. Stick the rest of the money in an ISA, make moar money off it.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.