Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Spanish was my favourite subject at GCSE, A* all the coursework pieces, probably got 100% on the exam, moved schools, didn't offer AS, didn't study it much after that.

Now this year it is becoming an option and i am thinking of doing it as an extra AS along with my A2s.

Now, i understand and expect AS to be considerably harder, otherwise i wouldn't want to take it. At GCSE, i didn't learn as much as i could have done simply because you didn't need to, in fact my teacher in year 11 got pissed off when i tried daringly tricky sentences that were just partially grammatically incorrect, and instead told me to say something along the lines of "ME GUSTA PIZZA PORQUE ES DELICIOSO" .

So i'm hoping, for once, Spanish can be a challenge for me and that i can actually learn from that challenge. At the same time however, i have been out of the classroom a year now, and i have noticeably lost a bit of my Spanish (mostly random nouns XD). I understand it is mostly grammar work which is good because i am good with most of them (the dodgy subjunctive, pluperfect and past tenses is a bit icky). But i am willing to learn and learn well as i intend to continue learning Spanish at Uni.

So, what do you think? Should i go for it?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to study Spanish at uni, then it's a necessity. It sounds like you are eager to improve and learn about the grammar, which is how I was when I did A-level Spanish! I took it at uni and have never regretted it...go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    If you want to study Spanish at uni, then it's a necessity. It sounds like you are eager to improve and learn about the grammar, which is how I was when I did A-level Spanish! I took it at uni and have never regretted it...go for it!
    Sorry, i didn't mean study it for a degree, just meant alongside whatever my degree will be!

May i ask your experience in the A level? As well as pre-A level as well as any experience? (E.g. Spanish relatives).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobjim12)
    Sorry, i didn't mean study it for a degree, just meant alongside whatever my degree will be!

May i ask your experience in the A level? As well as pre-A level as well as any experience? (E.g. Spanish relatives).
    Ah, I understand.

I had no experience with Spanish before starting it at secondary school but I just found it quite easy and enjoyable and decided to do a degree in it. I did my A-level around 7 years ago now so I'm not sure how relevant my experience will be but it was unique! I was the only Spanish student at AS and A-level and so had my own private teacher for 2 years which was amazing (although she was English not Spanish! She was lovely).

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I understand.

I had no experience with Spanish before starting it at secondary school but I just found it quite easy and enjoyable and decided to do a degree in it. I did my A-level around 7 years ago now so I'm not sure how relevant my experience will be but it was unique! I was the only Spanish student at AS and A-level and so had my own private teacher for 2 years which was amazing (although she was English not Spanish! She was lovely).
    Should i take the AS, it wil, probably small class as well (maybe not a clas of 1 but certainly no more than 4/5).

Did you find it difficult to improve being the only one? or did you find practicing alone was effective?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobjim12)
    Should i take the AS, it wil, probably small class as well (maybe not a clas of 1 but certainly no more than 4/5).

Did you find it difficult to improve being the only one? or did you find practicing alone was effective?
    No, it was much easier because I spoke with the teacher and she spoke only in Spanish and so I improved quickly and had no problem making the transition to uni where 100% of the classes are in Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    No, it was much easier because I spoke with the teacher and she spoke only in Spanish and so I improved quickly and had no problem making the transition to uni where 100% of the classes are in Spanish.
    Ok, and in terms of studying, did you read books? Films? Etc.?

ReputationRep:
    I do French at A2 now but for me there was a big difference between GCSE and AS. For example at GCSE for the speaking and writing all we had to do was memorise paragraphs whereas at A-Level it's a lot harder because of all the extra topics and grammar you learn about

My class is only 4 people and it's great because we have all made a lot of progress and our teacher can spend more time with us

I would say go for it but just make sure you know main vocab before starting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemxn)
    I do French at A2 now but for me there was a big difference between GCSE and AS. For example at GCSE for the speaking and writing all we had to do was memorise paragraphs whereas at A-Level it's a lot harder because of all the extra topics and grammar you learn about

My class is only 4 people and it's great because we have all made a lot of progress and our teacher can spend more time with us

I would say go for it but just make sure you know main vocab before starting
    Yeah, i am shocked when speaking Spanish the random words i've forgotten! I have a lot of vocab books i bought years ago, could just read through them like a machine XD

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.