Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How to go about solving trig equations such as these:Name:  IMG_20150516_212558531.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  138.8 KBAttachment 400053400063

Basically, any equation where the same function is on both sides of the equations. Im tempted to cancel it out just by doing the inverse, but i know thats incorrect and i will lose solutions. Could anyone explain the process of solving questions likr these? Thanks in advance
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431808617.740848.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  92.9 KB
    I'm pretty sure?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For the 2nd one you divide 48 by 2
    Then you do 180-48 which is 132, divide that by 2
    Then 360 add 48 divide 2
    And finally 360 add 180 - 48 for the final answer. You should have 4 X values.
    Don't know about the first one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isis_on_the_cake)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431808617.740848.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  92.9 KB
    I'm pretty sure?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thing i dont get with that is you do the inverse of tan, but then add 180 to the answer anyway as if it was a function of tan? You got all the right solutions, i just dont quite understand why you still add 180 when you 'cancelled out' the tan function, if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    For the 2nd one you divide 48 by 2
    Then you do 180-48 which is 132, divide that by 2
    Then 360 add 48 divide 2
    And finally 360 add 180 - 48 for the final answer. You should have 4 X values.
    Don't know about the first one
    So you do 180-answer, as if it was a sin function but you do the inverse of sin in the first place? Thats what i cant quite get my head around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickel_w)
    Thing i dont get with that is you do the inverse of tan, but then add 180 to the answer anyway as if it was a function of tan? You got all the right solutions, i just dont quite understand why you still add 180 when you 'cancelled out' the tan function, if that makes sense.
    So you do 180-answer, as if it was a sin function but you do the inverse of sin in the first place? Thats what i cant quite get my head around
    Because you have an equation in \theta, but theta must satisfy whatever trig function you started with -> ergo, you can use the appropriate formulas to find the other solutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamKeene)
    Because you have an equation in \theta, but theta must satisfy whatever trig function you started with -> ergo, you can use the appropriate formulas to find the other solutions.
    Ok, thank you. Makes sense now

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thank you. Makes sense now
    Note even when you have a simple equation you are used to solving like:

\sin{\theta}=1 \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ 0<\theta<180

When you solve this, you do exactly you've been doing just now, you apply the inverse to both sides:

\arcsin{\big( \sin{\theta} \big)} = \arcsin{(1)}

\theta = \dfrac{\pi}{2}

And then you apply the various rules to find the other solutions if needed (which it isn't in the aforementioned domain).

ReputationRep:
    Slightly different way than how the other did it I think.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  441.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    How to go about solving trig equations such as these:Name:  IMG_20150516_212558531.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  138.8 KBAttachment 400053400063

Basically, any equation where the same function is on both sides of the equations. Im tempted to cancel it out just by doing the inverse, but i know thats incorrect and i will lose solutions. Could anyone explain the process of solving questions likr these? Thanks in advance
    In cases such as these the unit circle is your best bet. A useful substitution is also handy like let v=2x.
    Note we have two cases with stuff like this in sinx=sinw
    infinite solutions are X=w+2npi or X=pi-w-2npi where n are integers
    Using these gives all solutions. Since you have restrictions on tangents use some values of n to limit the answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 16, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.