Turn on thread page Beta

Help me improve my squat plz! - Video watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I am a beginner, starting off with the strong lifts 5X5 routine. Recently, I have had slight pains in my lower back and thought it would be best to record myself squatting :

https://vimeo.com/128026615

1)
    I think I am slightly leaning forward and then leaning back when coming back up which is putting tension in my lower back >> Check 0:10 - 0:13, 0:27 - 0:30. How can I fix this?

2) Secondly, for some strange reason my squat has actually gone down! 2 weeks ago, I was able to squat 55kgs, 5X5 and deadlift 40 kgs. However yesterday (when I recorded the video), I struggled to do 5 (sets) X 3 of squats of 40kgs!!!. However the deadlift went up to 47.5 kgs. So I am thinking it can't be my nutrition right?

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    weights too heavy.

Ive always hated fitness first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlsmp)
    weights too heavy.

Ive always hated fitness first

Do you reckon? I am surprised because I managed a clean 5X5 of 55kgs with no problems. Is there anything I am doing incorrectly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diracdeltafunc)
    Do you reckon? I am surprised because I managed a clean 5X5 of 55kgs with no problems. Is there anything I am doing incorrectly?
    try a much lower weight, if you notice a definite improvement in your form it is because of the weight. To me it looks like its too heavy so your body corrects for this by engaging other muscles which ruins your form

They are too expensive and dont care about their customers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlsmp)
    try a much lower weight, if you notice a definite improvement in your form it is because of the weight. To me it looks like its too heavy so your body corrects for this by engaging other muscles which ruins your form

They are too expensive and dont care about their customers
    Cool. By that do you mean what is happening at 0:10 - 0:13, 0:27 - 0:30 ?

ReputationRep:
    Btw do I have a butt wink?

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I am a beginner, starting off with the strong lifts 5X5 routine. Recently, I have had slight pains in my lower back and thought it would be best to record myself squatting :

1)
    I think I am slightly leaning forward and then leaning back when coming back up which is putting tension in my lower back >> Check 0:10 - 0:13, 0:27 - 0:30. How can I fix this?

2) Secondly, for some strange reason my squat has actually gone down! 2 weeks ago, I was able to squat 55kgs, 5X5 and deadlift 40 kgs. However yesterday (when I recorded the video), I struggled to do 5 (sets) X 3 of squats of 40kgs!!!. However the deadlift went up to 47.5 kgs. So I am thinking it can't be my nutrition right?

Many thanks!
    The weights look like they're too heavy for you.

It looks like you don't have much control when you're coming back up and you're snapping your knees back into place.

And yeah you have a butt-wink

This guy has a lot of really good videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW_C1A-rejs

ReputationRep:
    At the risk of seeming like an egotistical ******* I am going to refer you to a post I wrote a while ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1&postcount=17

You need to learn how to squat from the ground up. You probably have mobility issues in the hips and ankles. You need to learn to move from the hips instead of at the spine. It's also likely you need to learn to brace properly.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    At the risk of seeming like an egotistical ******* I am going to refer you to a post I wrote a while ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1&postcount=17

You need to learn how to squat from the ground up. You probably have mobility issues in the hips and ankles. You need to learn to move from the hips instead of at the spine. It's also likely you need to learn to brace properly.
    Listen to this, TBM is a squat form god.

One of the biggest problems is definitely your torso control. It's not even that you're flexing at the hip as you come back up (like people usually do with a squat morning), but your thoracic spine is flexing and you're shifting all your weight forward. This is why I think it's better that noobs do high bar, tbh, cause it's easier for them to keep their chest up.

ReputationRep:
    watch this series regarding squatting, best I've found on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8...BE939BB32B4CAB

ReputationRep:
    Reduce the weight on squats and also do front squats as these will force your body to stay upright. if you still have bad form with light squats then do onky front squats for a while and work on hip and ankle mobility. If your form is fine once you reduce the weight then you can do fronts once a week. And dont go too light on squats. Go the heaviest you can and then focus on accumulating reps. once you get a total of around 500 reps the form will be ingrained into you and then you can increase the weight. And be careful nkt to do 500 reps with bad form or else youll have a hard time correcting it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)

This is the post you should concentrate on this thread. Blind Monk knows all!

ReputationRep:
    You have bad form that's all. Strip the weights off and focus on the bar, get your technique correct. Ass to Grass my friend.

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Many thanks!
    I would say form over weight any day. I think rather than concentrating on 5x5, at the moment you are better suited to correcting your form. Just aim for high reps with good form with just the bar alone, do that for a couple of weeks and slowly slowly add on the weights bit by bit.

Don't rush when adding on weights, make small progresses over time. One other thing you could possibly try is low bar squatting (youtube it), basically instead of resting the bar on traps, rest on rear delts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    I would say form over weight any day. I think rather than concentrating on 5x5, at the moment you are better suited to correcting your form. Just aim for high reps with good form with just the bar alone, do that for a couple of weeks and slowly slowly add on the weights bit by bit.

Don't rush when adding on weights, make small progresses over time. One other thing you could possibly try is low bar squatting (youtube it), basically instead of resting the bar on traps, rest on rear delts.
    Its better if you squat the heaviest you can with good form to build up your confidence with heavier weight. Theres a video by elliot hulse on this. Its called The truth about squatting heavy weights.

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

1)

Many thanks!
    Tbf it wasn't in the top 10 worst squats I've seen. Nice low depth and good that you're clearly pushing your own body limits with the weight you used. However, on the way up your knees are bowing in a bit which is a sign that your core strength is a tad weak, it has nothing to do with strength of knee joints or whatever but squats will improve this anyway. And if you're trying to hit some numbers I don't recommend the 5x5 straight away. Go for reps reps reps till the reps become easy. No point doing 5 reps of 55kg just yet - try doing 15 reps of 40, 12 reps of 45, 10 reps of 50 till eventually you'll find your strength has gone up considerably. (And quickly) I'm aiming for double body weight squat in the next 3 months and a combination of high rep days and 5x5 is doing wonders for me personally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vvoDERMovv)
    Tbf it wasn't in the top 10 worst squats I've seen. Nice low depth and good that you're clearly pushing your own body limits with the weight you used. However, on the way up your knees are bowing in a bit which is a sign that your core strength is a tad weak, it has nothing to do with strength of knee joints or whatever but squats will improve this anyway. And if you're trying to hit some numbers I don't recommend the 5x5 straight away. Go for reps reps reps till the reps become easy. No point doing 5 reps of 55kg just yet - try doing 15 reps of 40, 12 reps of 45, 10 reps of 50 till eventually you'll find your strength has gone up considerably. (And quickly) I'm aiming for double body weight squat in the next 3 months and a combination of high rep days and 5x5 is doing wonders for me personally

Thanks for that. How would the reps help? I am also thinking of doing some basic yoga for flexibility (the frog pose) and some planking for the core.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that. How would the reps help? I am also thinking of doing some basic yoga for flexibility (the frog pose) and some planking for the core.
    Well like you I used to do the 5x5 religiously and my squat kind of got stuck at around 110kg which you may think is alright but when you get stuck on that weight for like 4 months it's annoying. So I started doing the BuffDudes 12 week plan (YouTube channel) and I was surprised that they used to do 5 sets of 20, 15, 12, 10, 8 reps respectively finishing with the 8 reps on like 140kg so I tried it and it was so PAINFUL at first but when I finished the 12 weeks I could rep it out on 100kg for like 15 reps and it felt kinda nice not torturous like before. So although this might have just worked well for me, if you try the high rep dropsets eventually your body should get used to it and when you try 55, or 60 again it should feel a breeze doing just 5 reps hence you can increase weight to let's say 70. And repeat. Make sure you eat well before leg day and no harm in hitting it twice a week. Got my first 160kg squat the other day very pleased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vvoDERMovv)
    Well like you I used to do the 5x5 religiously and my squat kind of got stuck at around 110kg which you may think is alright but when you get stuck on that weight for like 4 months it's annoying. So I started doing the BuffDudes 12 week plan (YouTube channel) and I was surprised that they used to do 5 sets of 20, 15, 12, 10, 8 reps respectively finishing with the 8 reps on like 140kg so I tried it and it was so PAINFUL at first but when I finished the 12 weeks I could rep it out on 100kg for like 15 reps and it felt kinda nice not torturous like before. So although this might have just worked well for me, if you try the high rep dropsets eventually your body should get used to it and when you try 55, or 60 again it should feel a breeze doing just 5 reps hence you can increase weight to let's say 70. And repeat. Make sure you eat well before leg day and no harm in hitting it twice a week. Got my first 160kg squat the other day very pleased.
    Thanks!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.