The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
AdamTJ
Ah-thanks, that makes me feel slightly better about this whole exercise.

Ooph that was below the belt, seems like you were a bit of a traitor...why did you transfer if the college is good? (If you don't mind me asking).

A few things, the en suite bathrooms and self catering at Butler, as well as the prospect of being the founding group of a college, being the frist ones there and making a difference.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 81
Did you make a difference?
Reply 82
If I get the dreaded A in History I'll be at Van Mildert studying English and History. Yay!
Anyone like/loathe Van Mildert? Any opinions really... x
Reply 83
6+6=6
A few things, the en suite bathrooms and self catering at Butler, as well as the prospect of being the founding group of a college, being the frist ones there and making a difference.

I like the sound of that- self catering and en suite are definitely better. Do you know if the other colleges have kitchen areas at all where you can cook for those inconvenient times at 2 in the morning when you suddenly crave a snack?

Also how are they laid out? Are there annexes or is it basically like a conventional halls of residence where you just have different floors?
Reply 84
arkbar
Did you make a difference?

Definitely, I know I've definitely made an impact here. Sadly, its not been enough in my opinion, I'm still not happy with the way things are progressing but concentrating on next year now.
Reply 85
definately going for it!! I'm so excited- if i do it, i will be over the moon!!
Reply 86
Oooh, another Durham History person, which college are you applying to amzable?
um durham 08 does that count? :P xxxx
Reply 88
i am! i finally got round to making my mind up.. hild bede 07 :smile:
Reply 89
misstash
i am! i finally got round to making my mind up.. hild bede 07 :smile:

Congrats! Good choice of uni :biggrin: .
Geography Bsc at St Mary's :biggrin:
The offer is AAB!

I hope i get the grades, and Durham is going to be my first choice.
Reply 91
NickiM
Oooh, another Durham History person, which college are you applying to amzable?

Got an offer from university (updated my siggy to show) - couldn't believe it xx
Reply 92
Periphescence
The offer is AAB!

SNAP!oo if u get the grades (im sure u will) i may see u in a wildly exciting geog lecture
Reply 93
amzable
Got an offer from university (updated my siggy to show) - couldn't believe it xx

Yay, well done :biggrin:
Would anyone care to collate the names of people who are (most probably) going, I will later on today when i have a spare half hour.
Reply 95
Periphescence
The offer is AAB!

Crikey, my friend just got an offer for Geography at Mary's, and her offer was BBB!! She thinks it was because her mum went there and was president-y thing for a year...

Then again, she did get 100% in Geography lol! But rubbish other grades :confused: ....?
Reply 96
They must have seen her awesome geography potential. And the fact her mum went to Mary's and was the president doesn't have any effect whatsoever on the offer she received because it's the department that gives out the offers, remember?
Reply 97
Becca
They must have seen her awesome geography potential. And the fact her mum went to Mary's and was the president doesn't have any effect whatsoever on the offer she received because it's the department that gives out the offers, remember?

Oh yeah, forgot that leeedle fact! :redface:

Still though, she doesn't even want to do Geography; she just didn't have the grades to apply for Medicine! Therefore, I doubt her PS showed as much passion as some people as she has envisaged no future in Geography at all, and has only considered doing it for the past few months! She also interviewed for it.

It is certainly worth considering the curious situation where my other friend, who had 10A* and AAAAA at AS, taking two AEAs and also scored 100% at Geography, having wanted to study it for the past few years, and had fantastic reasons for wanting Durham, got rejected. I have to say, and I know this has been done to death, but it does somewhat enforce those myths about Durham rejecting Oxbridge dead certs when compared alongside my first friend....
Reply 98
I think maybe it's a case of Durham trying to get a diverse mix of people grades-wise. Obviously they still want the top candidates, but they like to take an even spread of applicants, with different grade predictions, particularly in subjects like geography.
I don't know, but I still don't accept the Durham rejecting Oxbridge dead-certs thing. I know plenty of people who got offers from Oxbridge and came to Durham as their insurance after not getting the grades for Oxbridge.
Reply 99
I blame Dr Hitch.

Latest