Turn on thread page Beta

When is it okay to ask for someone's name? watch

ReputationRep:
    I went to college yesterday I spoke to a lot of people, I started the conversation with "Hello, do you like baking and or cats?" some of them didn't like either so I didn't talk to theM, I spoke to the ones who likes one of both of them I spoke to them about either baking, cats and other things we may have in common. I didn't as for their names though I didn't know when to.

I did the same thing in a library, the same thing happened.

When should I ask for someone's name?

ReputationRep:
    why would you go up to them and ask them about baking and cats. Thats one sure way to make sure you never name friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlsmp)
    why would you go up to them and ask them about baking and cats. Thats one sure way to make sure you never name friends
    I need to see if there is any point in chatting to them. If we don't have anything in common there is reason for me to converse with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylittlePlusle)
    I need to see if there is any point in chatting to them. If we don't have anything in common there is reason for me to converse with them.
    I honestly cant tell if you are being serious or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlsmp)
    I honestly cant tell if you are being serious or not
    I'm serious. I won't converse with someone who I have nothing in common with, it would be a waste of my and their time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm serious. I won't converse with someone who I have nothing in common with, it would be a waste of my and their time.
    wow... not much social skill there. So your main priority in making a friend is that they like cats?

ReputationRep:
    Just say your name after you ask the question and the person should response with an answers and their name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlsmp)
    wow... not much social skill there. So your main priority in making a friend is that they like cats?

Oh, no. With all of my friends we have at least one thing in common, (I like cats, baking, Pokemon, video game music, cooking, medical biology and Power Rangers and some miscellaneous things) I cannot talk to someone who doesn't like anything that I don't, we won't have anything to talk/chat about. I would find them boring.

This has nothing to do with what thread topic..

ReputationRep:
    I feel like you've done the usual social thing the wrong way around. Normally people find out the common interests after the name.

But basically the name's usually a very early stage thing, so I guess after your odd opening question would be a good enough time.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    When you first meet them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I feel like you've done the usual social thing the wrong way around. Normally people find out the common interests after the name.

But basically the name's usually a very early stage thing, so I guess after your odd opening question would be a good enough time.
    Asking someone for their name is very personal...

So when you ask someone if they like baking or cats and they say no do you just walk away..?

If someone asked me if I like baking or cats and then never talked to me again I think id probably be a bit freaked out...

Don't portray yourself in a bad light, just make friends anyone who's got whose got a decent personality..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So when you ask someone if they like baking or cats and they say no do you just walk away..?

If someone asked me if I like baking or cats and then never talked to me again I think id probably be a bit freaked out...

Don't portray yourself in a bad light, just make friends anyone who's got whose got a decent personality..
    I leave them alone. I have no use for them.
    I have no reason to talk to someone who doesn't like anything that I don't like, I would find them boring,

ReputationRep:
    meh I normally get the convo going before asking "oh sorry what's you're name?"

Next time you talk just apologise and say you forgot to get their names or something.

ReputationRep:
    I commented on another post the OP wrote...he is autistic and this goes quite a long way in understanding his thread topics.
    For Op: I think you should talk to someone in your own life about dating, making friends, meeting people...i noticed that this is something you post about a lot so maybe someone you know who is close to you and you trust like a parent or teacher or therapist can explain these areas of social interaction with you instead of people on the student room who don't link all your posts together and seems to me to be missing the overarching theme
    Good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.