how hard is it and how enjoyable compared to other subjects
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    Predicted AA in core and additional science and an A in maths

Hi there.

I'm doing A-level physics. It's good, nice to learn new things and it's interesting!

However, I find there is a lot of content to learn in A2. It is a little tricky but if you're willing to put the effort in then I don't see why you wouldn't choose it.

I can't really compare to other A-Levels since I am only doing Maths as my second. But it fits perfectly with maths.

What kind of stuff in science do you like learning about?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in Year 12 and doing Physics AS. In my opinion, it's probably the most enjoyable science (I do Biology and Chemistry as well), reason being that the it's logical. Once you understand something in Physics, it's a lot easier to remember and I don't spend as much time on it as I do with Biology or Chemistry when revising (although I probably should :/)

I remember back in September that it took me a while to get used to the gap between GCSEs and AS but if you work on it and ask your teacher for help, you'll be fine
    If you enjoy learning new concepts, then go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    Predicted AA in core and additional science and an A in maths
    If you do maths and further maths like myself physics is a joke A level by which I mean extremely easy.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jai Sandhu)
    If you do maths and further maths like myself physics is a joke A level by which I mean extremely easy.
    What option have you chosen in Unit 5?

ReputationRep:
    As oppose to everyone who's commented on this thread, I would strongly advice against physics at alevel, I took it to AS only without Maths and well i don't know how i came out with a decent grade!

It by far took most of my time and also was the least enjoyable of my subjects. (I studied bio chem and History too)

I would only advise picking it if you need it for a particular university course you want to do or if you've got a genuine interest in Physics. Otherwise stay clear

I picked it because I still had my GCSE grades buzzing in my head (got A* in Physics GCSE) and thought it would be easy. It wasn't

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine. The maths is really easy if you can rearrange simple equations and, for AQA at least, there is a really small syllabus

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It has it's moments.

ReputationRep:
    i got stuck with a bad teacher at AS, he left us right before the exams begun, and when we met our new teacher for A2 i thought i was going to have a great year, but he turned out rubbish as well. We haven't done a single experiement and all we do every lesson is copy notes from the board.

I enjoyed the subject so much at GCSE, but the college I chose just isn't a strong college for the sciences.

what i'm saying is that it will vary depending on where you decide to go for your a levels, what the teacher is like, and what exam board/spec you get... i'm sure if you enjoy physics enough, no matter what the circumstances are you'll still find enjoyment in the subject at a-level as it's interesting and much more challenging (in a good way) than at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsFahima)
    What option have you chosen in Unit 5?
    I do not think you pick any options in Edexcel.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I do not think you pick any options in Edexcel.

Ohh okay! I assumed you were on the AQA exam board.

ReputationRep:
    As someone said above, depends on the spec you do and your teachers. I do OCR B and I hate it but have to stick with Physics.

If you do take physics, make sure after lessons you go over what you learnt and maybe even read more into it. It will help you a lot.

I got A* in GCSE in physics and i'm kinda struggling now. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsFahima)
    Hi there.

I'm doing A-level physics. It's good, nice to learn new things and it's interesting!

However, I find there is a lot of content to learn in A2. It is a little tricky but if you're willing to put the effort in then I don't see why you wouldn't choose it.

I can't really compare to other A-Levels since I am only doing Maths as my second. But it fits perfectly with maths.

What kind of stuff in science do you like learning about?
    what did u get in gcse for each and what are u getting now and what do u plan to do at uni

ReputationRep:
    what did u get in gcse for each and what are u getting now and what do u plan to do at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RagaZ)
    As oppose to everyone who's commented on this thread, I would strongly advice against physics at alevel, I took it to AS only without Maths and well i don't know how i came out with a decent grade!

It by far took most of my time and also was the least enjoyable of my subjects. (I studied bio chem and History too)

I would only advise picking it if you need it for a particular university course you want to do or if you've got a genuine interest in Physics. Otherwise stay clear

I picked it because I still had my GCSE grades buzzing in my head (got A* in Physics GCSE) and thought it would be easy. It wasn't
    wow is it really that hard as im only predicted an AA in double science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isis_on_the_cake)
    You should be fine. The maths is really easy if you can rearrange simple equations and, for AQA at least, there is a really small syllabus

Posted from TSR Mobile
    is there a lot of content?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexParmenter)
    i got stuck with a bad teacher at AS, he left us right before the exams begun, and when we met our new teacher for A2 i thought i was going to have a great year, but he turned out rubbish as well. We haven't done a single experiement and all we do every lesson is copy notes from the board.

I enjoyed the subject so much at GCSE, but the college I chose just isn't a strong college for the sciences.

what i'm saying is that it will vary depending on where you decide to go for your a levels, what the teacher is like, and what exam board/spec you get... i'm sure if you enjoy physics enough, no matter what the circumstances are you'll still find enjoyment in the subject at a-level as it's interesting and much more challenging (in a good way) than at GCSE
    whatc exam board did u do what did u get in gcse for each and what are u getting now and what do u plan to do at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheLikeTheMango)
    As someone said above, depends on the spec you do and your teachers. I do OCR B and I hate it but have to stick with Physics.

If you do take physics, make sure after lessons you go over what you learnt and maybe even read more into it. It will help you a lot.

I got A* in GCSE in physics and i'm kinda struggling now. :/
    what are u on track for now

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in GCSE maths and an A in physics and I love physics at A-level, you have to be really interested in it to do well but if you are you will be fine, and it goes amazingly well with maths mechanics which some colleges offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I did A level physics and I thought it was really enjoyable! The maths is just GCSE level (rearranging equations and stuff).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 19, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.