Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am in a massive dilemma as I am unsure whether i should got to university or get an apprenticeship. I currently have offers to go to university to study my course but i have also found an apprenticeship in banking which i would to do. If i do go to uni; i would get a career in banking afterwards. The possible pros of university would be the social life, life skill and most importantly a degree but the only con is the amount of debt. However the pros of an apprenticeship in banking is salary and no debt but the cons would be no degree . Which would be better in the long run and what would you do if you were in my position? Thanks, all advice is useful

ReputationRep:
    It is totally down to what you would prefer. Me personally I am glad that I went to uni, as you do meet a lot of new friends and it is a unique opportunity that would be hard to experience again. However you have named the main con of uni which is debt. However you need to consider about student loans is that you only start paying when you earn over 21 grand and that the debt will get written off after 30 years. I am sure that you have had plenty of information on the students loan and if not I will be more than happy to give you more information on it.

With the apprenticeship, you get on work training which means that you will have expeirence that many uni students would not have, and I know that some companies pay for you to get a degree, however you get this differently and therefore you will not experience 'uni life'

I hope this has helped and if you would like anymore views or help let me know

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.