Turn on thread page Beta

A-Level choices help watch

ReputationRep:
    1) I've decided on English lit, gov +politics, psychology and sociology. But am I taking too many demanding subjects??
    I really want to do all the subjects I've chosen, but realising all of them are essay based, I'm not sure if I can handle it all! Whenever I tell people my choices it seems like I've merrily told them I'm about to dig my own grave. Is it too much??:confused:

2) English lit is a subject everyone says is VERY hard..i'm predicted an A at the moment, but I'm considering changing it to history where I'm predicted A* for GCSE? Could anyone tell me how these subjects are like and which ones possibly better? Should I swap lit for history?

P.s I'm hoping to do politics at uni.

Thanks for the help!!

Both English Literature and History are hard and demanding.
    My friend is doing all essay based subjects (history, psychology, English and RS) and I'm not sure how she copes :confused: but it's apparently doable. If you enjoy writing essays, arguing your point and etc, then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SharDee)
    phycology
    What is phycology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    What is phycology?
    Spelling mistake, meant psychology

ReputationRep:
    psychology is also really content heavy. i have my AS exam on monday and am so unprepared because of the vast amounts to learn. im doing psychology, geography, biology and economics, all of which are SUPER content heavy and demanding, but I don't regret taking them. If you put in the work, you can do well

tip for a level - actually work hard through the entire year, otherwise you'll **** up your exams, like whats happening to me right now, and ****ing up AS exams makes A2 life even harder. ugh

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who took both History and English AS and is doing the A2's, I took History over English

Based on conversations with him (and how much I've seen him in the pub during the lead up to coursework deadlines ) this month, English was a lot harder than history and he got really stressed doing both,

Personally I love History, and chose it over English because I was predicted a higher gcse grade and I enjoyed it a lot more,
    Best decision I made!
    History is great, don't know what exam board etc. you're doing, but for me in A2 half of it is your own enquiry into any part of history,which was great, and the AS is actually not too big a leap from GCSE(unlike AS/A2 Maths *shudder* )

and there's a hell of a lot less required reading outside of lessons than in English from what I've seen.

Both subjects require similar skills, and both are doable, you must surely have a preference? go for what you most enjoy, it will help keep you sane over the two years haha

Hope I've helped, Good luck

ReputationRep:
    my friend has a place at uni for politics and she did rs, history, classics and english. and she managed to get good grades so im sure with a bit of hard work its perfectly doable. if you like those subjects then do them! just work hard while you do. what would your alternative subjects be? swapping history for english wont have much of an effect on your essay workload, although while i personally prefer english i will admit history may have the edge on how useful it is for a politics based course, but i think thats a minor issue as your other subjects seem really appropriate for the course, and at the end of the day its important you do what you think youll enjoy otherwise thatll make a level even harder
    good luck with your choices

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.