Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've chosen my subjects for s6 and I've taken a few crash highers and advanced highers ..

However the one I was looking the most forward to was AH Business management.. Although my school didn't even acknowledge me when I asked... Things like AH French, art and music seemed to be more important to my school..

So basically what I want is to self teach my self AH business management because if my school are not bothered then I shouldn't let it stop me..

a few questions for those who have self taught before:

•how did you do your NABS/internal assessments?
    •business course needs a project which is a big part of your grade.. How do I do that?
    • is it even possible to do this or am I being too ambitious ..

I just think I'm too late for the college applications ... So am I doing the right thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasim-98)
    Hi

I've chosen my subjects for s6 and I've taken a few crash highers and advanced highers ..

However the one I was looking the most forward to was AH Business management.. Although my school didn't even acknowledge me when I asked... Things like AH French, art and music seemed to be more important to my school..

So basically what I want is to self teach my self AH business management because if my school are not bothered then I shouldn't let it stop me..

a few questions for those who have self taught before:

•how did you do your NABS/internal assessments?
    •business course needs a project which is a big part of your grade.. How do I do that?
    • is it even possible to do this or am I being too ambitious ..

I just think I'm too late for the college applications ... So am I doing the right thing?

Ask your school if you can a) commute to another school for it, or b) self-teach. If you commute your nabs will be handled by the other school. If you self-teach your school will handle nabs. For your project if you're self-teaching collaborate with the business department, they might be able to sort something out for you. If not, you're on your own and you'll have to make do with the hands your given.

ReputationRep:
    I partially self taught myself Psychology last year, as it was an option through the local college, yet not our school. So, we were in the college one day a month to get our worked checked basically - we taught the whole course ourselves.

In my experience, we were given NABs by our year head, who was a depute rector, which were then sent to a qualified psychology 'teacher'/lecturer in the college, marked and then handed back to us. We also had a report to write which followed the same procedure.

IMHO it's a bit ambitious to self teach an AH without a teacher's help, as even though you do teach the majority of the course yourself, you are still in classes where you can ask questions if you are confused. However, if you find that you think you're relatively smart (which I'm assuming you must have some knowledge as you're crashing a few higher's and advanced higher's!) you should be okay - I basically taught myself the whole AH History course last year in school because my teacher was useless and we had no help whatsoever.

I wish you luck with whatever you choose!

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished sixth year and this 3 of my 4 advanced highers were self taught with one if those being business. You'll get all the information for NABs and so on from either your SQA coordinator or the head of department.

For your project you'll have to pick a local business, preferbly one that you know well and know the owner well as you'll be doing lots of interviews with them. There is a really detailed marking scheme on the sqa website for it.

I don't think it would be too much to take on as long as you managed higher fine. Most of the information you'll find in articles on line on business journals. A lot of the other stuff like the EU and fiscal policies there is loads of articles on line for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.