The Student Room Group

First Cars

looking to buy my fist car soon and wondering what the options will be? under 5 grand I'm a car fanatic therefore i have a rough idea what I want however I want to just see other people views.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe an early BMW Z4or a Z3 you can get them for your budget and they're quite fun. You could go for an MX5 or an older hot hatch like a golf GTi or an older executive saloon. If you can afford the fuel I think you can pick up a Mazda RX-8 for that money too they're fast but the Wankel engine is thirsty and problematic. Check some of those options out? What were you thinking?
Reply 2
Original post by DeeWave
Maybe an early BMW Z4or a Z3 you can get them for your budget and they're quite fun. You could go for an MX5 or an older hot hatch like a golf GTi or an older executive saloon. If you can afford the fuel I think you can pick up a Mazda RX-8 for that money too they're fast but the Wankel engine is thirsty and problematic. Check some of those options out? What were you thinking?

vauxhall astra, vw golf/ scirroco, ford fiesta or focus or even a bmw 1 series if i'm lucky :smile:

What was your first car?
Reply 3
Original post by pascal122
vauxhall astra, vw golf/ scirroco, ford fiesta or focus or even a bmw 1 series if i'm lucky :smile:

What was your first car?

Sounds good - the 1 series drives pretty well as the rear wheel drive set up helps the steering (or at least the later ones drive well haven't driven one earlier than about 2012). Look at this one here

(http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201505103335693/sort/default/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/4/make/bmw/model/1_series/usedcars/channel/cars/postcode/cb21ta/quicksearch/true/radius/1500?logcode=p)

150bhp rear wheel drive car with comfortable size for a great rate something like that could be ideal if the insurance is OK.

I didn't buy my first car until 23 and it was (still is) a Vauxhall VX220 2.2i. It's huge fun - one of the best drivers' cars going, but it's impractical and you can't get one for that money you'd need to pay at least 8K in summer.
Reply 4
Original post by DeeWave
Sounds good - the 1 series drives pretty well as the rear wheel drive set up helps the steering (or at least the later ones drive well haven't driven one earlier than about 2012). Look at this one here

(http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201505103335693/sort/default/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/4/make/bmw/model/1_series/usedcars/channel/cars/postcode/cb21ta/quicksearch/true/radius/1500?logcode=p)

150bhp rear wheel drive car with comfortable size for a great rate something like that could be ideal if the insurance is OK.

I didn't buy my first car until 23 and it was (still is) a Vauxhall VX220 2.2i. It's huge fun - one of the best drivers' cars going, but it's impractical and you can't get one for that money you'd need to pay at least 8K in summer.

insurance must have been hell mate
Reply 5

It's not as bad as you might think actually. With being only 150bhp and not hugely expensive insurance is less than £600 per year - hardly a steal but for someone young in a fun car it's really not too bad. I have to say quotes for the VX are better than most other sports cars though - a Porsche Boxter for example would have cost a lot more even though it's slower, more common and has better security systems and traction control.

The real cost is fuel, even though it's only light I can't get more than 35mpg as the gear ratios are short and it's tuned quite rich.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by DeeWave
It's not as bad as you might think actually. With being only 150bhp and not hugely expensive insurance is less than £600 per year - hardly a steal but for someone young in a fun car it's really not too bad. I have to say quotes for the VX are better than most other sports cars though - a Porsche Boxter for example would have cost a lot more even though it's slower, more common and has better security systems and traction control.

The real cost is fuel, even though it's only light I can't get more than 35mpg as the gear ratios are short and it's tuned quite rich.

thanks man i will take your factors into consideration, much appreciated :biggrin:

The space is kinda tight for the amount you pay for that version of the 1 series. I felt slightly uncomfortable sitting in the front passenger seat.
Consider the Leon
If you want something with room inside - not a poxy little matchbox but not sluggish and bulky either, and not heavy on insurance, have you considered a Mazda3 Saloon? As a new driver you'll get insurance probably around £100/mo.
Reply 9
Original post by XMaramena
If you want something with room inside - not a poxy little matchbox but not sluggish and bulky either, and not heavy on insurance, have you considered a Mazda3 Saloon? As a new driver you'll get insurance probably around £100/mo.

thats actually quite good to be hounest
Interesting first cars to get? Alfa Romeo 147, 5k gets you a very good one. Parts plentiful and cheap too.
The other one that is good is a Volvo C30, uses lots of Ford Focus mechanical and electrical parts, lots of gimmicks and now starting to become cheap to buy. T5 models can really run too but presumably insurance for it won't be cheap without NCD.
Reply 11
Original post by Alfissti
Interesting first cars to get? Alfa Romeo 147, 5k gets you a very good one. Parts plentiful and cheap too.
The other one that is good is a Volvo C30, uses lots of Ford Focus mechanical and electrical parts, lots of gimmicks and now starting to become cheap to buy. T5 models can really run too but presumably insurance for it won't be cheap without NCD.

Two decent ideas, although it might be an idea to avoid the Alfa for reliability? Mind you I'm seriously considering a Brera right now so I can't talk!

Volvo S40 would be a good choice too, low mileage ones can be got for that price and they usually have lots of extras.
Reply 12
Get a Polo. Lovely car that'll last forever + insurance is pretty good.
Reply 13
Original post by 8472
Get a Polo. Lovely car that'll last forever + insurance is pretty good.

yeah polo's a nice first/ beginners car. what's the spacing like for that car i would imagine it's tiny?
Reply 14
Original post by dhr90
Two decent ideas, although it might be an idea to avoid the Alfa for reliability? Mind you I'm seriously considering a Brera right now so I can't talk!

Volvo S40 would be a good choice too, low mileage ones can be got for that price and they usually have lots of extras.

I considered getting a brera coupe it's so sexy man beautiful car, good choice just scared about insurance.
Reply 15
yeah polo's a nice first/ beginners car. what's the spacing like for that car i would imagine it's tiny?

It is big enough but not too big as a first car. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by 8472
It is big enough but not too big as a first car. :smile:

looking to buy my fist car soon and wondering what the options will be? under 5 grand I'm a car fanatic therefore i have a rough idea what I want however I want to just see other people views.

Don't buy a car which just looks amazing... my first two cars I only had in the span of three years.. as a learner as well. I had a Turbo Saab 93 convertible and a MG TF Stepspeed convertible.

Now I have a Toyota Prius and I have had it for a couple of months, its a little pricey of about 1k on the insurance.. BUT it costs you £10 for tax every year and it only costs you £20 for half a tank of gas which can get you really far!
Original post by RockNRollSaz
Don't buy a car which just looks amazing... my first two cars I only had in the span of three years.. as a learner as well. I had a Turbo Saab 93 convertible and a MG TF Stepspeed convertible.

Now I have a Toyota Prius and I have had it for a couple of months, its a little pricey of about 1k on the insurance.. BUT it costs you £10 for tax every year and it only costs you £20 for half a tank of gas which can get you really far!

I could tell some horror stories about prius's but I think I will be kind tonight.

Plus for a first car... 5k? xD I mean you could by a 3.5k 1.0 2010 punto or something and pay 1.5k on insurance

OR dump 2k on a cheap sports car (late 90s / early 00s MR2/MGTF/MX5 etc) and spend 3k insuring it xD
Volkswagen Passat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending