The Student Room Group

Why have women stopped wearing corsets?

I was just reading another thread about someone liking someone else who was wearing a headscarf. I thought why have women stopped wearing corsets?

They make women look skinny, have better breasts and better hips. So women why not take the makeup off your face and discard the heels and put on a corset.

Also get rid of your trousers and put on a nice medium length skirt.

Scroll to see replies

Corsets can be quite painful/uncomfortable/restrictive to wear every day.

Personally, I prefer no makeup/minimal makeup, shorter skirts and jeans.
I haven't noticed that women have stopped wearing corsets.....

Then again that's mostly in the bedroom :lol:

In all seriousness, they're not comfortable and very much a specific fashion trend from over 100 years ago that has stuck on as sex lingerie.
Original post by william walker
Also get rid of your trousers and put on a nice medium length skirt.

I didn't know my grandmother was on TSR.
Original post by godivaontherocks
Corsets can be quite painful/uncomfortable/restrictive to wear every day.

Personally, I prefer no makeup/minimal makeup, shorter skirts and jeans.

Yeah but women could wear them for centuries and then they stopped. They make women better looking and more attractive. I just think it is sad is all.

Women shouldn't wear trouser to be honest. I don't want to see your booty and not your ankles. Short skirts have to be the least attractive things ever invented.
Original post by vanessa409
I didn't know my grandmother was on TSR.

She isn't. A 23 year old man is.
Original post by DanB1991
I haven't noticed that women have stopped wearing corsets.....

Then again that's mostly in the bedroom :lol:

In all seriousness, they're not comfortable and very much a specific fashion trend from over 100 years ago that has stuck on as sex lingerie.

High heels are uncomfortable but women still wear them. They were around for centuries at the peak of fashion then they just went away and have been replaced by ugly things.
I think it's rather odd that you're telling women what they should or shouldn't wear. Women, for the most part, dress to make themselves feel good, not to impress you. Good luck finding a girlfriend with that attitude.

Oh, and FYI, I happen to look fantastic in trousers. Or a short skirt. I even look good in a suit.
High heels are uncomfortable but women still wear them. They were around for centuries at the peak of fashion then they just went away and have been replaced by ugly things.

Well men originally exclusively wore heels and no longer wear them. Also heels have pretty much been in a flux in the 1900s, dropping in and out of fashion.

Some fashion trends last longer than others, comfort has many issues, but corsets where largely replaced when more comfortable alternatives that offered the same shape where introduced. Partially due to the controversy corsets had at the time.
Yeah but women could wear them for centuries and then they stopped. They make women better looking and more attractive. I just think it is sad is all.

Women shouldn't wear trouser to be honest. I don't want to see your booty and not your ankles. Short skirts have to be the least attractive things ever invented.

I think with the rise of feminism etc. and women feeling less oppressed, they just started wearing what they liked tbh. Corsets may be attractive but they're very uncomfortable and impractical to wear.

Women shouldn't wear trousers? Cool, that's your opinion I guess. Women can wear what they like. This is the 21st century after all. We don't all have to dress to please men. Short skirts may be unattractive to you but not to everyone.
Original post by DanB1991
Well men originally exclusively wore heels and no longer wear them. Also heels have pretty much been in a flux in the 1900s, dropping in and out of fashion.

Some fashion trends last longer than others, comfort has many issues, but corsets where largely replaced when more comfortable alternatives that offered the same shape where introduced. Partially due to the controversy corsets had at the time.

I like the fashion of the 1920's a lot. Which seem to be when corsets started to move out.
Because they were uncomfortable, impractical and caused numerous health problems

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by godivaontherocks
I think with the rise of feminism etc. and women feeling less oppressed, they just started wearing what they liked tbh. Corsets may be attractive but they're very uncomfortable and impractical to wear.

Women shouldn't wear trousers? Cool, that's your opinion I guess. Women can wear what they like. This is the 21st century after all. We don't all have to dress to please men. Short skirts may be unattractive to you but not to everyone.

Likely WW1 has something to do with. WW1 has something to do with the destruction of everything. Rather than feminism.

I am talking about when women go out directly to attract men or go out for a particular reason and want to look good. Women never wore corset 24 by 7. The year or century isn't an argument and doesn't make any difference. Short skirts show to much leg so are vulgar.
Original post by miscounted_time
Because they were uncomfortable, impractical and caused numerous health problems

Posted from TSR Mobile

Women wear thing today which are all of those things.
Women do wear corsets even now, but I guess thats more to do with waist training etc. But seriously lose the archaic thinking :rolleyes:
Original post by vanessa409
I think it's rather odd that you're telling women what they should or shouldn't wear. Women, for the most part, dress to make themselves feel good, not to impress you. Good luck finding a girlfriend with that attitude.

Oh, and FYI, I happen to look fantastic in trousers. Or a short skirt. I even look good in a suit.

Women can wear anything they like. Just I don't like what they wear for the most part these days. Women dress for all kinds of reasons one of which is to attract men. Do you really think I would fail to find a girlfriend because I like corsets and skirts? Do you really think that would matter to me?

I don't know why are are making this personal either. It was meant to a general debate about corsets and what helps women look better.

I am sure you would look much better more attractive in a corset and medium length skirt than you do in trousers, a short skirt or a suit.
Likely WW1 has something to do with. WW1 has something to do with the destruction of everything. Rather than feminism.

I am talking about when women go out directly to attract men or go out for a particular reason and want to look good. Women never wore corset 24 by 7. The year or century isn't an argument and doesn't make any difference. Short skirts show to much leg so are vulgar.

The short skirts thing is subjective. I know a lot of men who practically drool over girls in short skirts. But a girl can wear one and remain modest.

Wearing corsets are less comfortable than other tops I guess.
I agree that the war probably contributed quite a bit to the decline of corsets though. And women wearing trousers, looser-fitting clothes, etc.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Women do wear corsets even now, but I guess thats more to do with waist training etc. But seriously lose the archaic thinking :rolleyes:

It is reactionary thinking, not archaic. Also there is many people who agree with my way of thinking. The same way the women on here were shocked when men said they prefer virgins.
I don't dress to please my boyfriend or any other man (even when I'm out) but if I did decide to... well, my boyfriend loves it when I wear short skirts, heels, skinny jeans... so... each to his own really.
It is reactionary thinking, not archaic. Also there is many people who agree with my way of thinking. The same way the women on here were shocked when men said they prefer virgins.

I didn't say there weren't people who didn't think the way you do, don't really know why you had to clear that up but okay... and men preferring virgins? doesn't shock me, doesn't really make me have any type of reaction really because quite frankly I don't care what 'men prefer' or anyone prefers for that matter. Not going to wear a corset because a man prefers it, not going to be a virgin because a man prefers it, don't really live for a man so doesn't really bother me to be quite honest with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending