Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do you think'll happen with the new budget? It'll apparently be for "working people", but that could mean anything.

I suspect the first few years will be brutal, go hard because votes and power won't be won or lost at this stage.

What would really change the game, though, is if in the last year or two, when people remember a bit more, they actually ease off and make just one or two big decisions to win votes from a few demographics, like cut tuition fees and spike the minimum wage up or something. You can always cancel their effect in the next 5-7 years, or watch the next government suffer with it. Take a lot, give a little back, gain an avalanche of votes, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    What do you think'll happen with the new budget? It'll apparently be for "working people", but that could mean anything.

I suspect the first few years will be brutal, go hard because votes and power won't be won or lost at this stage.

What would really change the game, though, is if in the last year or two, when people remember a bit more, they actually ease off and make just one or two big decisions to win votes from a few demographics, like cut tuition fees and spike the minimum wage up or something. You can always cancel their effect in the next 5-7 years, or watch the next government suffer with it. Take a lot, give a little back, gain an avalanche of votes, right?
    July 8th.

With the Liberals gone it's likely the initial cuts will be even deeper however so will the tax cuts. Once we get to 2019 i suspect they'll go down the tax, savings, housing and pensioners again like this time. All fertile ground in demographics which are growing.

The minimum wage will rise to about £7.50 by 2020, a bit above actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    July 8th.

With the Liberals gone it's likely the initial cuts will be even deeper however so will the tax cuts. Once we get to 2019 i suspect they'll go down the tax, savings, housing and pensioners again like this time. All fertile ground in demographics which are growing.

The minimum wage will rise to about £7.50 by 2020, a bit above actually.
    Tend to agree, curious how they'll manage to sell £12bn of welfare cuts in a single budget without being ripped apart.

On the tax side I'm curious how raising the higher rate threshold will be done, the later they leave starting doing it, the bigger the cut in later years compared to the cut for basic rate taxpayers the more people will notice higher rate is getting a bigger cut.

ReputationRep:
    It'll just be scratching the surface unless something is done about the pension liabilities.

ReputationRep:
    Its going to be more than 12 billion welfare cuts. We are talking possible triple that. Its been nice knowing the disabled and poor but after the Tories have had their way I doubt there are going to be many of them left who have their freedom. The jails are going to be filled up this year for sure.

My advise is don't go out and riot. You will be jailed for 2 or more years. Remember what happened in Bradford during the riots? Well think of that times 10. Its going to get ugly. Just remember that you can't protest when your locked up behind 2-4 18ft fences.

Those lefties like myself who have money and wealth should take a burden and look after vulnerable people. So if you have a spare room don't be afraid to invite another family to live with you. These next years are going to be very hard on all of us.

I've thought about turning my house into a hostel in some way or another. Then literally practice what I preach and invite some disabled adults to live with me during the next couple of years. The only thing I'll have to worry about is the city council doing me for overcrowding but might be able to get round it by saying its student accommodation etc. Won't bother me much. Just will be like living on Campus again.

What really annoys me though is David Cameron will probably come out and say look at these people sharing their homes. This is my big society I talked about. He'll then take credit for everyone else's charity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Its going to be more than 12 billion welfare cuts. We are talking possible triple that. Its been nice knowing the disabled and poor but after the Tories have had their way I doubt there are going to be many of them left who have their freedom. The jails are going to be filled up this year for sure.

My advise is don't go out and riot. You will be jailed for 2 or more years. Remember what happened in Bradford during the riots? Well think of that times 10. Its going to get ugly. Just remember that you can't protest when your locked up behind 2-4 18ft fences.
    It won't get ugly; people with mobility problems or breathing issues aren't much threat at riots. That's the whole point really. A good dictatorship hurts people who can't fight back, either physically (disabled) or mentally (most unemployed chavs on JSA).

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.