Turn on thread page Beta

Arsene Wenger is the man who is to good for Football. watch

ReputationRep:
    Consider a man who in 2001, fresh after being told that Arsenal needed a new stadium.

A man who in 1999 gave the proceeds of the Anelka sale, £23m, a boy he signed for £500k, to the club to build a new training ground. And used the proceeds to sign Thierry Henry.

A man who, when he had just accomplished, the maximum ever in English football.

His reputation sky high, he said: ''I will stay at Arssenal, my club''

He could have won CL, La Liga, Serie A etc etc you name it.

What a man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    A man who, when he had just accomplished, the maximum ever in English football.
    When did he win the domestic treble?

ReputationRep:
    BRB winning less Champions Leagues than Roberto Di Matteo.

ReputationRep:
    He should have more trophies to his name. I will never see him as one of the best managers after SAF/Mourinho made him his own personal ***** after Henry era.

ReputationRep:
    Wengers greatest achievement is convincing Arsenal fans that he's still a good manager
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Should have stepped down in 2006. It's laughable how he's still clinging on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Should have stepped down in 2006. It's laughable how he's still clinging on.
    ''Oi Arsene, we're building the most expansive stadium ever built, instead of taking those offers from Real and Bayern, how about you fancy spending negative £30m every season?''

''Call it a youth project, oh yeah, we'll sell your best players every season to pay for the stadium yeah?''

''So tell Real with their £200m to **** off yeah?''

Arsene Wenger is a much much more subtle man than Ferfuson(Who sold Utd out btw) or Mourinho(who cant and wont work for less than £500m)

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal is the one of the very few top flight team with a healthy financial structure. Not many teams can do that while maintaining competitiveness in the league.

ReputationRep:
    Yep:yep:
    Just a shame he cant zip his coat

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think he's great. While he's not won the big stuff for a while, he actually earns success rather than buys it.

ReputationRep:
    The man is a failure. You're right he is a great guy no doubt about that and I respect him but he's not the man to take Arsenal transfer the next level and he hasn't been for many years. It's unfair that Arsenal have to keep this manager even though he hasn't won a league title in 11 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    The man is a failure. You're right he is a great guy no doubt about that and I respect him but he's not the man to take Arsenal transfer the next level and he hasn't been for many years. It's unfair that Arsenal have to keep this manager even though he hasn't won a league title in 11 years.
    Your assuming that the goal is to win titles rather than be extremely profitable. So long as he delivers top 4, Arsenal remain one of the most profitable businesses in the world.

ReputationRep:
    How can Wenger earn success when he hasn't won anything? While finishing top 4 every season he's always had a top 4 worthy squad and his teams often bottle it in the big moments, ie 2011 season and the title run-in last year.

Mourinho won the CL in his first season in the competition. Wenger's only got to one semi final and one final in almost 20 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Your assuming that the goal is to win titles rather than be extremely profitable. So long as he delivers top 4, Arsenal remain one of the most profitable businesses in the world.
    Arsenal fans are forced to have a manager who hasn't won the league for 11 years he's not even seriously competing for them. Arsenal fans want the league title and I see nothing from Wenger or the board that makes me think we actually place any importance on winning that they're only interested in getting in the top 4 and it's not enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    Arsenal fans are forced to have a manager who hasn't won the league for 11 years he's not even seriously competing for them. Arsenal fans want the league title and I see nothing from Wenger or the board that makes me think we actually place any importance on winning that they're only interested in getting in the top 4 and it's not enough.
    Sure, but it's the ownership that matters.

Arsenal fans may complain (though Wenger should have won the title last year) but the board is clearly happy to spend sub-50m and notch up the profits.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.