Turn on thread page Beta

Should we introduce mandatory comas instead of imprisonment? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is this not a less cruel way of punishing people? Instead of having to be stuck in a cell for years on end, driving yourself mad, you just go to sleep for a set period of time before being awoken when you have 'completed' your sentence.

ReputationRep:
    Defeats the purpose of imprisonment

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a movie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Is this not a less cruel way of punishing people? Instead of having to be stuck in a cell for years on end, driving yourself mad, you just go to sleep for a set period of time before being awoken when you have 'completed' your sentence.
    What a ridiculous suggestion - being in a coma involves all sorts of add-ons - such as muscle wastage, bodily fluids, regular turning etc.

If I were the victim I would feel very short changed if my perpetrator was put into a coma "less cruel" my [email protected]@e.

I personally would make prison harder - bring back chain gangs to do community service - there is plenty of stuff to be done outside. The cushy lifestyle that some of our prisoners enjoy is laughable

ReputationRep:
    Prison isn't just to keep people locked away, prisons are also there to rehabilitate people. How do you rehabilitate someone in a coma?

ReputationRep:
    Being stuck in a cell for years on end, driving yourself mad, is what makes prison a punishment instead of a long holiday. There's no punishment in spending ten years asleep.

In any case, the time spent in prison gives prisoners an opportunity to reform and rehabilitate, which isn't possible if they're in a coma. So this would defeat both the purposes of a custodial sentence.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think this will catch on

ReputationRep:
    I can see it being better than the death penalty. Simply induce a coma and put them away for the rest of their lives, then wake them before death. Or perhaps not ...

ReputationRep:
    No, prisoners should be rehabilitated. If they're not rehabilitated then I would rather just have them executed. Although I disagree with the death penalty because there's a chance that innocents could be killed.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    silly option.

ReputationRep:
    I think hanging should make a return for serious pocket thefts and brutal murders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HigherMinion)
    I think hanging should make a return for serious pocket thefts and brutal murders.
    It would beat watching another series of X-Factor.

ReputationRep:
    This is a movie idea....

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, how mandatory comas, would tackle crime

Seriously prison is a waste of money. If you're not a drug pusher before going to prison then you'll probably be one when you leave. Prisons don't reduce crime, they encourage it.

In a state in America the fatal crime rate went up 12% AFTER they introduced the death penalty. I suspect the same psychology applies to prisons.

Why does the justice system expect everyone to know all the laws but isn't willing to teach them in schools? It's designed to fail, that's why it fails.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this the whole point of prison?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick Wallace)
    Prison isn't just to keep people locked away, prisons are also there to rehabilitate people. How do you rehabilitate someone in a coma?
    Easy, you make them have certain dreams that help rehabilitate them.

ReputationRep:
    Hard to reform someone in a coma, although it might be harder for them to commit crime when they wake up with severe muscle atrophy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    Easy, you make them have certain dreams that help rehabilitate them.
    Make them dream constantly about being inside a prison cell.

ReputationRep:
    Waste of medicine and doctors time, you cant just put someone in a coma and leave them they need constant monitoring let alone the damage youd probably cause from doing that. Put them in a hard labour camp.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.