Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So i thought i'd start this thread because i need some advice. I am a Scottish student considering applying to an American university for next year. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice or there thoughts on what i'm thinking about:

University of California Berkeley - Political Science
    NYU - Political Science/International Relations
    Stanford - Political Science
    Princeton - Political Science

I know these are all really exclusive, high-performing universities and i just need some help narrowing it down to 2 options.

I am doing my Highers this year - Maths, English, French, Geography, History, Economics and Russian and does anybody know what grades i would be required to have (Advanced Highers?)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student2399)
    So i thought i'd start this thread because i need some advice. I am a Scottish student considering applying to an American university for next year. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice or there thoughts on what i'm thinking about:

University of California Berkeley - Political Science
    NYU - Political Science/International Relations
    Stanford - Political Science
    Princeton - Political Science

I know these are all really exclusive, high-performing universities and i just need some help narrowing it down to 2 options.

I am doing my Highers this year - Maths, English, French, Geography, History, Economics and Russian and does anybody know what grades i would be required to have (Advanced Highers?)

Thanks
    So, firstly the big question: How do you plan on paying for these universities? American tuition, room and board is around $55,000-$65,000 per year for four years. Stanford and Princeton can provide need-based financial aid (if you qualify); NYU occasionally gives out generous scholarships; Berkeley as a public school will offer the least amount of aid.

Second: NYU (my alma matter) is at the forefront of quantitative political analysis. Bruce Bueno de Mesquita is a faculty member and is one of the authors of much of modern quantitative politics. As such, a good portion of the curriculum covers quantitative methods, game theory, etc. Being primarily interested in the qualitative aspects of politics and political philosophy, these were not my favorite courses, though they were helpful for understanding certain things in political process. I certainly advocate having an understanding of quantitative politics, if only for general knowledge reasons.

Additionally, IR at NYU is an honors major. This means that you have to take the introductory politics courses (American Government, International Relations and some other stuff) and score, I believe, at least a B+ or A- in all of them. This includes quantitative courses.

Princeton and Stanford are equally selective and based essentially purely on chance.

If you need financial aid in the form of need-based aid (i.e. your family makes less around 80,000GBP per year), then you should apply to Stanford and Princeton, as they'll meet your need (your need will be determined by their financial aid departments based on formulas about your family income, assets, etc.); if your family is more well-off but unable to pay full price for University and you need merit scholarship, apply to NYU. Neither Stanford nor Princeton award merit scholarships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    So, firstly the big question: How do you plan on paying for these universities? American tuition, room and board is around $55,000-$65,000 per year for four years. Stanford and Princeton can provide need-based financial aid (if you qualify); NYU occasionally gives out generous scholarships; Berkeley as a public school will offer the least amount of aid.

Second: NYU (my alma matter) is at the forefront of quantitative political analysis. Bruce Bueno de Mesquita is a faculty member and is one of the authors of much of modern quantitative politics. As such, a good portion of the curriculum covers quantitative methods, game theory, etc. Being primarily interested in the qualitative aspects of politics and political philosophy, these were not my favorite courses, though they were helpful for understanding certain things in political process. I certainly advocate having an understanding of quantitative politics, if only for general knowledge reasons.

Additionally, IR at NYU is an honors major. This means that you have to take the introductory politics courses (American Government, International Relations and some other stuff) and score, I believe, at least a B+ or A- in all of them. This includes quantitative courses.

Princeton and Stanford are equally selective and based essentially purely on chance.

If you need financial aid in the form of need-based aid (i.e. your family makes less around 80,000GBP per year), then you should apply to Stanford and Princeton, as they'll meet your need (your need will be determined by their financial aid departments based on formulas about your family income, assets, etc.); if your family is more well-off but unable to pay full price for University and you need merit scholarship, apply to NYU. Neither Stanford nor Princeton award merit scholarships.
    Thank you so much for your reply! I'm hoping to get all A's in my exams this year to be in a good position to apply to the most elite US universities. Do you know what Scottish qualifications American uni's require? I would be looking to get financial aid as my family does earn less than 80,000 GBP, but i am also a keen and rather good athlete so would be looking to get a sports scholarship, although i'm not sure whether you can get financial aid and a scholarship? I think going by what you have said so far i'm leaning towards either Stanford or NYU plus i prefer the 'metropolitan' lifestyle and Princeton does not offer this as much. How is NYU as a university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student2399)
    Thank you so much for your reply! I'm hoping to get all A's in my exams this year to be in a good position to apply to the most elite US universities. Do you know what Scottish qualifications American uni's require? I would be looking to get financial aid as my family does earn less than 80,000 GBP, but i am also a keen and rather good athlete so would be looking to get a sports scholarship, although i'm not sure whether you can get financial aid and a scholarship? I think going by what you have said so far i'm leaning towards either Stanford or NYU plus i prefer the 'metropolitan' lifestyle and Princeton does not offer this as much. How is NYU as a university?
    Stanford is good for sports and meeting financial need, but won't give merit scholarships. NYU isn't known for its sports, but can offer good merit scholarships.

As for my experience with NYU, I absolutely loved it. But, it's very much not a typical university experience and it's not for everyone. It's nothing like the sort idealized American University portrayed in common culture or movies. There isn't much 'campus life', you do your own thing with your friends for the most part. There are plenty of clubs if you want to get involved though. It's also a very political campus, being rated the #1 most political university in the US by a recent ranking. It's also a very liberal university, probably one of the most liberal on the planet. Elite universities tend to be liberal, NYU is very much so. Because of the art school, location in NYC, etc. it also has one of the largest population of LGBT students. So, if you're not gay or trans friendly, it might not be the place for you.

Given the opportunity, I would absolutely go back to NYU for my PhD in the future.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.