Turn on thread page Beta

Should I take Psychology for A level if I want to do medicine? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! So I am currently in year 11 and I have chosen Biology, Chemistry and Maths to do for A level, and I originally put down Philosophy and Ethics also. As the year has moved on, I have realised that I don't like the style of questions and I never know how to revise for P&E at GCSE so it might not be the best choice for A level. I have always been really interested in Psychology and think it will go well with my other subjects but is it considered too "soft"? I don't want to disadvantage myself when applying for medicine in the future. What would be another alternative? Thanks

Do Further Maths, Chem and Biology mate
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Magnus Taylor)
    Do Further Maths, Chem and Biology mate
    Why?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by isabellagrace)
    Hey guys! So I am currently in year 11 and I have chosen Biology, Chemistry and Maths to do for A level, and I originally put down Philosophy and Ethics also. As the year has moved on, I have realised that I don't like the style of questions and I never know how to revise for P&E at GCSE so it might not be the best choice for A level. I have always been really interested in Psychology and think it will go well with my other subjects but is it considered too "soft"? I don't want to disadvantage myself when applying for medicine in the future. What would be another alternative? Thanks
    Psychology will be absolutely fine. You've got the important Chemistry and Biology, after that the most important thing is getting As.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I was in the exact same position as you last year! I picked Biology, Chemistry and Maths.. but i was unsure whether i should pick Philosophy and Ethics or Psychology.. But after tons of research I settled on Philosophy and Ethics.. And for the same reason as you just said above.. Psychology is considered a soft subject by many unis. So currently, I have studied a year of Philosophy and Ethics and actually I really do enjoy it.. I had my Philosophy and Ethics AS exam last week and i thought it went pretty well... Whereas my friends who did Psychology are freaking out and they say they wanna drop it next year.. So I would say do Philosophy and Ethics with Biology, Chemistry and Maths but i leave the choice down to you..Hope you found this useful...

ReputationRep:
    Any of those combinations are fine, just pick a 4th you think you'll do well in providing it's a vaguely acredited subject it's fine/ Lot's and lots of med students have done psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Psychology will be absolutely fine. You've got the important Chemistry and Biology, after that the most important thing is getting As.
    Okay thanKs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooting_stars)
    I was in the exact same position as you last year! I picked Biology, Chemistry and Maths.. but i was unsure whether i should pick Philosophy and Ethics or Psychology.. But after tons of research I settled on Philosophy and Ethics.. And for the same reason as you just said above.. Psychology is considered a soft subject by many unis. So currently, I have studied a year of Philosophy and Ethics and actually I really do enjoy it.. I had my Philosophy and Ethics AS exam last week and i thought it went pretty well... Whereas my friends who did Psychology are freaking out and they say they wanna drop it next year.. So I would say do Philosophy and Ethics with Biology, Chemistry and Maths but i leave the choice down to you..Hope you found this useful...
    Okay t
    hanks! I might just wait til results day, if I get an A* in it I will take it, if not I won't

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2015
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.