Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I love both Dance and English equally but I can't decide what I want to do at university! I was originally planning on just doing English but I'm now possibly thinking of doing a masters in Dance, however that requires a degree in dance or a degree with a large dance component in it. I'm worried about doing the joint honours because I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on things by not going into as much depth, or that it's hard to organise my time between two departments.

If anyone has any advice or if there is anyone doing the joints honours course that could tell me what it's like, I would be extremely grateful!

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amie_dancer)
    I love both Dance and English equally but I can't decide what I want to do at university! I was originally planning on just doing English but I'm now possibly thinking of doing a masters in Dance, however that requires a degree in dance or a degree with a large dance component in it. I'm worried about doing the joint honours because I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on things by not going into as much depth, or that it's hard to organise my time between two departments.

If anyone has any advice or if there is anyone doing the joints honours course that could tell me what it's like, I would be extremely grateful!

Thank you
    Do you want a career in dance? If not, a masters in dance may be a luxury you can't afford. (Just checking you know there's no funding for it.) Even if you do, you don't need a degree in dance to do it as a job. You would probably be better off going to dance school. It's a precarious profession - injury happens to anyone. An English degree is a better fall-back, since 60% of graduate careers require no specific subject, but English is a well-regarded academic subject which proves you are literate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Do you want a career in dance? If not, a masters in dance may be a luxury you can't afford. (Just checking you know there's no funding for it.) Even if you do, you don't need a degree in dance to do it as a job. You would probably be better off going to dance school. It's a precarious profession - injury happens to anyone. An English degree is a better fall-back, since 60% of graduate careers require no specific subject, but English is a well-regarded academic subject which proves you are literate.
    I'm not sure what I really want to do...if I did go into dance, it would be as a teacher. Yeah this is what everyone has been saying to me, and I am prone to injury, so I feel like the Emglish degree would be a better option. I just don't want to make a mistake and regret not doing dance. Thank you so much for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amie_dancer)
    I'm not sure what I really want to do...if I did go into dance, it would be as a teacher. Yeah this is what everyone has been saying to me, and I am prone to injury, so I feel like the Emglish degree would be a better option. I just don't want to make a mistake and regret not doing dance. Thank you so much for your help
    Dancing is something you can do as a hobby all your life. I'd go with English. Good luck.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2015

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.