Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am an overseas (UE) IB student and I’m thinking about applying to English course. However, this is a subject I’m interested in studying at Cambridge only. As to other universities, I’m considering Combined Honours, with English and a Social Sciences subject, like Geography with Social Anthropology at St Andrews. I’m honestly interested in both subjects, but I feel more confident at English, so knowing how demanding Cambridge is, that’s what I choose. I do things which have to do with both subjects: my HL subjects are Pol Lit, Eng Lit and Lang and Geography; I wrote a screenplay for a school-play; I write for school newspaper; I am a volunteer at sociological research section of a museum; I read both Eng Lit books and Social Sciences books (from a list found on King’s College suggested reading list). I try to keep it more or less balanced.

The problem is my personal statement. I know Cambridge expects focused passion for a subject – am I dismissed then because of my interest in two? Should I choose one?

Considering English: should I mention extracurricular French classes (I know Cambridge is doing foreign lit; I am starting reading in French)? Plus, does Cambridge care about competitions on a national level (mostly national; there were low numbers from Lithuania and Ukraine and single persons from France and Greece)? The one I’m talking about concerns my native language and literature; it requires writing a 5000+ words of literary analysis at home, then two more essays on a given topic plus three oral presentations on a topic of choice; bibliography for a home-essay and latter two oral presentations is academic literature (much of it); 1000+ people reach the second of three stages; I got the highest score (first place) from those who reached the final one. Is it relevant enough?

As to predicted grades – I don’t know them yet, but I expect 776 from HLs and 40 in total.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    If you apply to Cambridge they will ask you to complete a Supplementary Application Questionnaire (SAQ). This allows you to provide them with a lot of extra information, including a more specific PS just for them.

They know that people may apply to other unis for different courses so it's not a problem to have a PS for those unis, and then the SAQ for Cambridge.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/saq

And, yes winning academic competitions is relevant.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.