Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am not feeling that great about my exams.
    Currently doing AS Level Physics (OCR), Maths (Edexcel), History (Edexcel).
    I feel as though i will end up retaking some modules next year including:
    Maths - C2 alongside C3, C4 and M1/S2
    Physics - ALL 4 exams
    History - Unit 1 and A2 exams

Has anyone experienced this situation before and is it possible to do 10 exams in June? Also with a level reforms, lets say hypothetically i did not do well in some a2 units will there be an opportunity to retake these under the old spec or will June 2016 be the last A2 and AS examinations. And if i wanted to retake would i have to do it under the new spec?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonayed1122)
    Hi
    I am not feeling that great about my exams.
    Currently doing AS Level Physics (OCR), Maths (Edexcel), History (Edexcel).
    I feel as though i will end up retaking some modules next year including:
    Maths - C2 alongside C3, C4 and M1/S2
    Physics - ALL 4 exams
    History - Unit 1 and A2 exams

Has anyone experienced this situation before and is it possible to do 10 exams in June? Also with a level reforms, lets say hypothetically i did not do well in some a2 units will there be an opportunity to retake these under the old spec or will June 2016 be the last A2 and AS examinations. And if i wanted to retake would i have to do it under the new spec?
    Im at A2 now and do those subjects for the same exam boards!
    It honestly will depend on you... I only have 1 resit, being physics mechanics (if its OCR A youre doing?) and its not that bad being the smaller exam however i never really understood it so it is a burden
    really you should try minimise resits but everybody has bad days or a bad exam, but you still have some time now to do well at AS!
    for maths, you dont need to remember most of C1 and C2 at A2 so ive forgotten most of it but am still aiming for an A in C3/4 so i can imagine redoing maths would be hard in the sense of remembering more content, however a lot easier in looking back and seeing how easy the maths is in comparison
    history, consider will you be doing two exams or is there a coursework component? i personally really struggle with the amount of content in history and was lucky to get a B at AS so no resits. is the amount of content something you could cope with? i struggled with content from one year so id probably do worse with resitting.
    again with physics, i felt at A2 the content wasnt necessarily harder but there was 10x more to learn!

you may think now resitting and doing all the work next year is the easiest option but trust me its not! A2 is so mich heavier in terms of content! you still have time for most of your exams, and always wait and see on results day, you may not need to resit worst comes to worst id say redo a module from each subject but if youre resitting that many exams you may as well redo the year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not doing the same subjects as you, but I'm an A2 student who's had to resist 3 of my AS exams, despite working my a*** off last year. The amount of work you get next year will increase, and the level of that work is a huge leap (bigger than the jump from GCSE to AS in my opinion). You do not want to be resitting unless you absolutely have to. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but if when you get your grades you think you'll need to resit a lot, get advice before you buy your resits. If you're close to grade boundaries then remember you can lift your grades with your A2s.

With regard to the reforms, as far as I'm aware they have to offer a resit option. So you should be able to resit A2s, but that will be very difficult, as legally you won't be able to attend lessons. Resits are always an option, but don't rely on them. Maybe the subjects you've chosen aren't for you? Just please don't put too much pressure on yourself! Take it from someone who's had an astronomical amount of pressure and stress this year, don't put yourself through unnecessary stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c_k62)
    Im at A2 now and do those subjects for the same exam boards!
    It honestly will depend on you... I only have 1 resit, being physics mechanics (if its OCR A youre doing?) and its not that bad being the smaller exam however i never really understood it so it is a burden
    really you should try minimise resits but everybody has bad days or a bad exam, but you still have some time now to do well at AS!
    for maths, you dont need to remember most of C1 and C2 at A2 so ive forgotten most of it but am still aiming for an A in C3/4 so i can imagine redoing maths would be hard in the sense of remembering more content, however a lot easier in looking back and seeing how easy the maths is in comparison
    history, consider will you be doing two exams or is there a coursework component? i personally really struggle with the amount of content in history and was lucky to get a B at AS so no resits. is the amount of content something you could cope with? i struggled with content from one year so id probably do worse with resitting.
    again with physics, i felt at A2 the content wasnt necessarily harder but there was 10x more to learn!

you may think now resitting and doing all the work next year is the easiest option but trust me its not! A2 is so mich heavier in terms of content! you still have time for most of your exams, and always wait and see on results day, you may not need to resit worst comes to worst id say redo a module from each subject but if youre resitting that many exams you may as well redo the year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply!
    How did you feel about as history unit 1, i feel as though i had the content but the quality of the essay i lacked, i felt as though i didnt analyse properly. Yes there is a coursework for a2 i believe and 1 exam.
    Physics i slacked off alot, i understand the content to some extent but when it comes to exam questions i really struggle. Not feeling the mechanics exam on Tuesday.
    Maths im not too worried about.

If i did that bad i would redo the year but the atm the a level reforms suggest June 2016 will be the last exams and not too sure if there will be a2 exam in 2017 for current spec. i'd rather retake under this spec rather than learning new content and go into my retake with refined skills i lacked now.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply!
    How did you feel about as history unit 1, i feel as though i had the content but the quality of the essay i lacked, i felt as though i didnt analyse properly. Yes there is a coursework for a2 i believe and 1 exam.
    Physics i slacked off alot, i understand the content to some extent but when it comes to exam questions i really struggle. Not feeling the mechanics exam on Tuesday.
    Maths im not too worried about.

If i did that bad i would redo the year but the atm the a level reforms suggest June 2016 will be the last exams and not too sure if there will be a2 exam in 2017 for current spec. i'd rather retake under this spec rather than learning new content and go into my retake with refined skills i lacked now.
    no bother and ive always been more 'maths minded' and kinda coasted my way through and scraped a B, and now im wishing id have tried as its a lot harder this year! i always found history relatively fun and easy but the more i did maths and physics the harder it seemed to get.. i found it easier to have my own writing style rather than focus on 'mock essay styles' etc and try memorising certain ways, as doing it your way may be a bit different to sample essays but will read more naturally and get you further. It also seemed with my year the people who were very specific and knew EVERY last detail did worse than those who just knew enough to get by, so id say make sure you dont get stuck in tiny details!

with physics if you work from day 1 in year 13 a resit shouldnt be too hard, i worked my ass off on y12 and got an A in g482 but an E in g481 (bad day?) so am resitting that, i can imagine redoing g482 would be a massive burden, id recommend cramming! ahaha. good luck for mechanics!
    if you wanna ask anything about my year 12 or 13 with these subjects please do

with the new specs i honestly have no idea.. id imagine they would take into account resits for a few years after their ending though

(completely agree with notcoolnerd saying the jump from AS to A2 is soo much bigger than GCSE to AS btw)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also with a level reforms, lets say hypothetically i did not do well in some a2 units will there be an opportunity to retake these under the old spec or will June 2016 be the last A2 and AS examinations. And if i wanted to retake would i have to do it under the new spec?
    Based on the last time they changed A level specifications, there should be a last chance to re-sit outgoing A2 units in 2017. After that you would have to take all the new A level exams in a subject to get a new grade.

ReputationRep:
    The thing about resits is that, it's fine right now to think next year you can retake those modules and do well but the reality of it is that you probably won't work very hard on these retakes and therefore probably not do much better anyway. At least that was the case for me I thought I would work hard on my retakes but it turned out I didn't even revise for them at all because I had much more important exams I was taking around the same time. So literally keep the retakes to a bare minimum because come next year you probably won't revise for them anyway. Something like retaking C2 is fine because you most likely won't need to revise very much for that anyway after learning C3/C4.

ReputationRep:
    You do not want to be doing resits next year. Just work really hard this year. I am doing A2 with three resits and it is really a lot of work, too much work.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.