What are some key themes in Of Mice and Men?

Watch
giorgialouise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I already have Survival of the Fittest,American Dream and Lonliness. Are there any more?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Keiran_Potter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When I studied of mice and men we focused on these along with; Predatory nature of human existence, isolation and idealised male relationships

Posted from TSR Mobile
spnlove
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by giorgialouise)
I already have Survival of the Fittest,American Dream and Lonliness. Are there any more?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah there's also death, destiny and prejudice
K K
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
relationships, power, nature
English beast
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Prejudice,era,women,innocence,loyalty,friendship,physical violence and emotional violence,racism,discrimintation
giorgialouise
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thank you all so much!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
bethanystephens_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Racism - crooks
prejudice - candy and curley's wife
isolation - everyone essentially
death, - candy's dog can foreshadow the events with curley's wife
sexism - curley''s wife but also old susy (they say she has nice chairs, but they never directly speak about the prostitutes, same as with Curley's wife, they are property, even if to old susy)
power - each person has a desire for power, just as with the dream
psychological needs (maslow) - i have an a* essay if you'd like it
dreams - the american dreams, but also the death of dreams such as crooks and curley's wife's.
loneliness - everyone is lonely, come on you've read the novel
friendship - G+L can say after L dies that S replaces him there is friendship everywhere
loss - can talk about context here and how people lost their money in the wall street crash but then link it to loss of rights and respect and therefore resulting to a dream which causes a loss of grasp on reality
fear - one example is when curley's wife threatens to get crooks killed
respect - all respect those above but slim is an exception as he is respected by those above
symbolism one symbol in the novel is the fact that OMAM is based around a poem. Do a little research before the exam
there are hundreds.

Good luck guys, if you need any more help with OMAM or animal farm or poetry hit me up x
jvsmine
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's also fate, where you can link the novella to Robert Burn's poem 'To a mouse', where the poet says "The best laid schemes o' mice and men/ gang aft a gley". (Don't invest too much of your thoughts into the future as they will fail and the time spent building them up will have been in vain.) So basically their dream was fated to elude them as it was so unlikely to succeed in that time and Lennie's imperfections meant that they wouldn't achieve their perfect dream of the little farm.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.9%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (16)
15.69%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (19)
18.63%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (11)
10.78%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (33)
32.35%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (18)
17.65%

Watched Threads