Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm having serious second thoughts on my future law degree and considering taking a gap year! I want to spend a few months volunteering abroad although I may have to venture out myself as all of my friends want to go straight to uni! Is anyone else in a similar predicament? Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in sixth form yet but I've thought about this so much aha
    All of my friends are going straight to uni, but they all want to do things like medicine and such, I want to spend a gap year and get a job so I can support myself a bit more at uni, find a place to stay in Brighton (I want to study photography there) and do things like volunteer and things that interest me more before moving onto Uni, but I might still go straight there if I decide a gap year isn't for me

ReputationRep:
    Hello Hello!
    Last year I failed miserably at getting into university and as a result then decided to take a gap year. Everything happens for a reason I think and honestly, I would recommend a gap year to absolutely anyone, but especially if you are not 100% sure of what you want to do.
    Without the stress of A Levels and the commitment of having to provide for a family (if you are in that situation) gap years give you the unique opportunity to allow you to be completely free to do whatever you want with your time. You will be able to take up every opportunity which is presented to you because other commitments will not hold you down.

During my gap year, I changed the career path in which I wanted to go into, did extensive volunteer work in areas which really interested me, volunteered and took part in the IPC Athletics, learning how to drive, went on trips to London, Bradford and Southampton, Juggled two jobs, built on my CV, did some work experience, went to a summer university course, did various training courses to improve my career opportunities and applied and got into university! But you're free to do absolutely anything with your time.

The only downside to taking a gap year for me, is that there are periods where you may have some still periods where nothing was going on because most of my friends were away in university but during my time I also made plenty of other friends and really learnt so much.

Personally, I think that my gap year has been really beneficial to me and I really would recommend them!

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had taken a gap year. I had no idea what I wanted to do (study or career) and picked a course that looked like it might be fun. It wasn't, and it was very career specific so I ended up dropping out in second year and now I can't get a job because I'm a drop-out who did a crap course to begin with. So make sure you take time to choose the right degree.

Gap years are good for building up your CV, getting some cash for uni - very reccommended!! - and growing as a person, depending on what you do. You'll likely become more of an adult and therefore will probably do better when you do go to uni, as you'll work hard and take it seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As someone currently living in Australia on a gap year, I 100% think you should do it.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do at uni, didn't really feel incredibly passionate about going, I desperately wanted to see the world, and I just generally had a gut feeling of not wanting to rush into anything. I've always thought that doubting your 'uni decision' is a sign that you're not 100% ready.

This has certainly prepared me for uni because I've got a job here, am renting a room, setting myself budgets, and just generously supporting myself 100%. I've also figured out what I want to do in uni now, so yay! I've done some volunteering in the past too, and that was awesome, so you should definitely look into that. I think so many people have this idea that you have to get a degree and a job ASAP, and I've no idea why. When you're applying for a job no employer is going to care if you're 21 or 30, and in the end a gap year is one year.

I mean, no one regrets taking a gap year before uni, but people do regret not taking a gap year before uni. I figure that says a lot.

(If you want a more detailed response or want to hear about any personal experiences I've had, just let me know! )

ReputationRep:
    Hello ! If you want to volunteer abroad I have the perfect organization for you .
    SOLS 24/7 Malaysia, I spent 6 months with them and it was the best experience of my life.
    Furthermore you will be with a lot of foreigners like you.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.