Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I wondered if anyone can help me. So I have done a project on the vitamin C content within different concentrations of orange juice: Not-from concentrate, from concentrate and freshly squeezed, using a 0.1% Ascorbic acid as the control.(known concentration).

I have 2 days till I have to hand it in, and I cannot work out how to find the vitamin C concentration using the results I have obtained.

My experiment was using DCPIP (0.1%) and the results I have gathered shows the amount of orange juice needed to decolourise the DCPIP, How do i calculate the vitamin C content?

If anyone could help, you would be a lifesaver, I cannot find anything online!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    You can plot a line graph from your 'known' concentrations if you have a range of known concentrations and use the graph to 'read' the 'unknown'.

Or if you only have the value for the 0.1% ascorbic acid...

You just need to know the relative volumes required to decolourise the DCPIP and multiply this by the concentration of the DCPIP.

For example, say it took 5.1cm^3 to decolourise the 0.1% ascorbic acid and 2.3cm^3 to decolourise the unknown orange juice.

(2.3/5.1) x0.1 = 0.045%

P.S I presume you did repeats so use your mean values....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physio_sparkly)
    You can plot a line graph from your 'known' concentrations if you have a range of known concentrations and use the graph to 'read' the 'unknown'.

Or if you only have the value for the 0.1% ascorbic acid...

You just need to know the relative volumes required to decolourise the DCPIP and multiply this by the concentration of the DCPIP.

For example, say it took 5.1cm^3 to decolourise the 0.1% ascorbic acid and 2.3cm^3 to decolourise the unknown orange juice.

(2.3/5.1) x0.1 = 0.045%

P.S I presume you did repeats so use your mean values....
    I only have the one value of the 0.1% ascorbic acid, which it took 0.3ml of to decolourise the DCPIP.

It took 2.4ml of the non concentrate
    3.2ml of the concentrate
    2.3ml of the freshly squeezed

I need to know the vitamin content in each of the orange juices
    in mg/ml ?? any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k17)
    I only have the one value of the 0.1% ascorbic acid, which it took 0.3ml of to decolourise the DCPIP.

It took 2.4ml of the non concentrate
    3.2ml of the concentrate
    2.3ml of the freshly squeezed

I need to know the vitamin content in each of the orange juices
    in mg/ml ?? any ideas?
    (Volume required in juice/volume required unknown) x0.1 as above. This gives you the %.

0.01% = 0.1mg/ml

So when you work out the % multiply your answer by 10....

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.