look good in mirror, bad in photos?

Watch
cake_lover
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Does anybody else get this? I literally took a selfie last night and looked terrible in it, but looking in the mirror at the same time I looked pretty good, why does that happen? And which one is the more accurate portrayal of your face?
JakeTheMusk1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The mirror, as the photo on your phone changes your complexion/skin tone/eye colour and distorts the positioning of most facial features.
jlsmp
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Same! Happens to me all the time! Once I took a photo and was a tall african American but in the mirror I was a short plump Chinese guy
MintyCherry
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
this happens to me too, i always wonderd this!
JakeTheMusk1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's because phones are made by Indian and Asian people, and they use particular camera lenses that attempt to bring all human races together and not judge each other.
Silly notion, the world will never be like that.
Folion
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Actually both images are wrong.

Photographs typically "add" about 10lbs to you and can distort true colours.

The mirror is obviously showing you to be the opposite way around to how you actually are eg if you have a left side parting the mirror shows it to the right. The mirror also in part shows how you see yourself not necessarily how you really are.
jlsmp
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JakeTheMusk1)
It's because phones are made by Indian and Asian people, and they use particular camera lenses that attempt to bring all human races together and not judge each other.
Silly notion, the world will never be like that.
True, I read this story once about a pelican that grew wings and tried to fly
JakeTheMusk1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Folion)
Actually both images are wrong.

Photographs typically "add" about 10lbs to you and can distort true colours.

The mirror is obviously showing you to be the opposite way around to how you actually are eg if you have a left side parting the mirror shows it to the right. The mirror also in part shows how you see yourself not necessarily how you really are.
Why ?
Folion
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why ?
Why to which part?
JakeTheMusk1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Folion)
Why to which part?
Sorry buster I'm new posting to this whole interweb forum thing. Why does the mirror show the opposite side of oneself ? Is it all mirrors or certain ?
I've never noticed this before
Folion
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry buster I'm new posting to this whole interweb forum thing. Why does the mirror show the opposite side of oneself ? Is it all mirrors or certain ?
Laws of physics and reflective surfaces. Just by looking in a flat mirror you will always see a reverse image however by angling multiple mirrors I believe it is possible to get a non reversed image.
Alaric III
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Stands to reason that it's a mirror image. However, you can align different mirrors in a way which will actually show you what you look like to others.
JakeTheMusk1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alaric III)
Stands to reason that it's a mirror image. However, you can align different mirrors in a way which will actually show you what you look like to others.
How do I align mirrors to show the correct image?
Alaric III
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How do I align mirrors to show the correct image?
get a mirror to reflect a reflection
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (16)
13.11%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (30)
24.59%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (52)
42.62%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
16.39%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.28%

Watched Threads