Turn on thread page Beta

look good in mirror, bad in photos? watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else get this? I literally took a selfie last night and looked terrible in it, but looking in the mirror at the same time I looked pretty good, why does that happen? And which one is the more accurate portrayal of your face?

ReputationRep:
    The mirror, as the photo on your phone changes your complexion/skin tone/eye colour and distorts the positioning of most facial features.

ReputationRep:
    Same! Happens to me all the time! Once I took a photo and was a tall african American but in the mirror I was a short plump Chinese guy

ReputationRep:
    this happens to me too, i always wonderd this!

ReputationRep:
    It's because phones are made by Indian and Asian people, and they use particular camera lenses that attempt to bring all human races together and not judge each other.
    Silly notion, the world will never be like that.

ReputationRep:
    Actually both images are wrong.

Photographs typically "add" about 10lbs to you and can distort true colours.

The mirror is obviously showing you to be the opposite way around to how you actually are eg if you have a left side parting the mirror shows it to the right. The mirror also in part shows how you see yourself not necessarily how you really are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeTheMusk1)
    It's because phones are made by Indian and Asian people, and they use particular camera lenses that attempt to bring all human races together and not judge each other.
    Silly notion, the world will never be like that.
    True, I read this story once about a pelican that grew wings and tried to fly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Folion)
    Actually both images are wrong.

Photographs typically "add" about 10lbs to you and can distort true colours.

The mirror is obviously showing you to be the opposite way around to how you actually are eg if you have a left side parting the mirror shows it to the right. The mirror also in part shows how you see yourself not necessarily how you really are.
    Why ?

ReputationRep:
    Why ?
    Why to which part?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Folion)
    Why to which part?
    Sorry buster I'm new posting to this whole interweb forum thing. Why does the mirror show the opposite side of oneself ? Is it all mirrors or certain ?
    I've never noticed this before

ReputationRep:
    Sorry buster I'm new posting to this whole interweb forum thing. Why does the mirror show the opposite side of oneself ? Is it all mirrors or certain ?
    Laws of physics and reflective surfaces. Just by looking in a flat mirror you will always see a reverse image however by angling multiple mirrors I believe it is possible to get a non reversed image.

ReputationRep:
    Stands to reason that it's a mirror image. However, you can align different mirrors in a way which will actually show you what you look like to others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric III)
    Stands to reason that it's a mirror image. However, you can align different mirrors in a way which will actually show you what you look like to others.
    How do I align mirrors to show the correct image?

ReputationRep:
    How do I align mirrors to show the correct image?
    get a mirror to reflect a reflection

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.