The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature LITA3: Love Through the Ages, 11 June 2015

Scroll to see replies

whats the term for addressing an inanimate object in poetry?
Reply 141
Original post by ThePrimeMover
whats the term for addressing an inanimate object in poetry?

not personification is it..?
Original post by Holprice
I would probably talk about the way family is a hindrance on Romeo and Juliet's love 'wherefore art thou romeo? deny thy father and refuse thy name!"

The marriage affair within hamlet between his uncle (who murdered his father) and his mother, hamlet says "with such dexterity to incestuous sheets! it is not nor cannot come to good; but break my heart i must hold thy tongue" he talks about holding back his emotions after his outburst because of the social order. in the Elizabethan world view the king is a godly representative and within the hierarchy hamlet is beneath and cannot disrespect the current king despite his lack of morals. Hamlet's repression is antagonised by the fact that he would have been next to the throne if claudius did not marry his mother and also due to the fact that he has not yet caught out claudius for his murder. He tries to do this with the dumb show. he also respects his mother more than claudius in this affair so this can show his bond with Gertrude; many critics have lent this to the concept of the Oedipus complex, particularly in theatre adaptations whereby this monologue is given in her bedroom.

You could use One Flesh by Elizabeth Jennings who propoes a slightly more modern view on the family and concludes with "whose fire from which i came has now grown cold?"
we are exposed to a narrative to a married couple who are "strangely close yet strangely far apart" (you can also use this for marriage and how they would persevere because of societal expectations perhaps?) but towards the end we learn that it is a narrative from the child's perspective

As for prose i would probably go for Pride and Prejudice " your mother will never see you again if you do not marry mr. collins and i will never see you again if you do" this one is selfe explanatory because it comes from #Austen's P&P

Thanks so much! Our teacher told us only romantic love comes up but apparently that's not true 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 143
Original post by HopefulLawyerHG
Thanks so much! Our teacher told us only romantic love comes up but apparently that's not true 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'd go through past papers quickly now because so many more themes have come up
Original post by lg01
i'd go through past papers quickly now because so many more themes have come up

I've done quite a few and it's only ever being romantic, not familial or platonic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HopefulLawyerHG

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are many sub-themes to love through the ages! Romance is just one of them. I have wider reading for romantic, marriage, familial, illicit, gender, death and loss, friendship and unrequited. But again the papers can come up with their own theme like one year it was proposals.
Reply 146
I would probably talk about the way family is a hindrance on Romeo and Juliet's love 'wherefore art thou romeo? deny thy father and refuse thy name!"

The marriage affair within hamlet between his uncle (who murdered his father) and his mother, hamlet says "with such dexterity to incestuous sheets! it is not nor cannot come to good; but break my heart i must hold thy tongue" he talks about holding back his emotions after his outburst because of the social order. in the Elizabethan world view the king is a godly representative and within the hierarchy hamlet is beneath and cannot disrespect the current king despite his lack of morals. Hamlet's repression is antagonised by the fact that he would have been next to the throne if claudius did not marry his mother and also due to the fact that he has not yet caught out claudius for his murder. He tries to do this with the dumb show. he also respects his mother more than claudius in this affair so this can show his bond with Gertrude; many critics have lent this to the concept of the Oedipus complex, particularly in theatre adaptations whereby this monologue is given in her bedroom.

You could use One Flesh by Elizabeth Jennings who propoes a slightly more modern view on the family and concludes with "whose fire from which i came has now grown cold?"
we are exposed to a narrative to a married couple who are "strangely close yet strangely far apart" (you can also use this for marriage and how they would persevere because of societal expectations perhaps?) but towards the end we learn that it is a narrative from the child's perspective

As for prose i would probably go for Pride and Prejudice " your mother will never see you again if you do not marry mr. collins and i will never see you again if you do" this one is selfe explanatory because it comes from #Austen's P&P

Can you briefly expand on the quote from Pride and Prejudice please?
There are many sub-themes to love through the ages! Romance is just one of them. I have wider reading for romantic, marriage, familial, illicit, gender, death and loss, friendship and unrequited. But again the papers can come up with their own theme like one year it was proposals.

When I say romantic that includes marriage, illicit, death and unrequited. It's just the familial and platonic that I haven't got much of

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by p.a25
Can you briefly expand on the quote from Pride and Prejudice please?

Lizzy is being threatened because of the proposal from Mr. Collins - her mother is basically presenting the regency period beliefs about marrying fir wealth when the opportunity arises and her sister does not believe that happiness can be found - explaining the ultimatum.
What did you guys link to? I did to his coy mistress for q1 and the great gatsby and streetcar for q2.

Oh and wtf was D

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Item D was pretty vile. Beckett is famous for being weird though.
Original post by WesterosWildling
What did you guys link to? I did to his coy mistress for q1 and the great gatsby and streetcar for q2.

Oh and wtf was D

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Q1 love's growth and hour
Q2 Importance of being earnest , started Betrayal (ran out of time) and The Collector

Worst exam i've taken in a while tbh.... Q1 was ok... Q2 WTH spent so long looking at it that i had 35 mins to write it only did one proper point and barely anything for form and context.. think i compared item C more to my WR than D itself cos i didn't get item D at all, really.

Really sad :frown: was hoping for an A*... Expect to see a B or even a C after that nightmare

Lots of people in my school found it hard too :/ but they seemed to struggle with Q1 whereas i liked Q1

How did everyone find it ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
WHAT EVEN WAS ITEM D?!

But from what I could get out of question 2, I compared the intimacy of the dramatic form to the biased viewpoint of an omniscient narrative, and then some.
Question 1 was pretty decent and overall I thought it was okay, although many would have struggled with question 2 because of Beckett, so hopefully AQA will lower the grade boundaries accordingly.

Wider reading Q1: Elizabeth Barrett-Browning "How Do I Love Thee?" Compared use of triplets, contrasted presentation of love.

Wider reading Q2: Enduring Love, Ian McEwan, comparing the presented superiority between C + S and Joe's description of his relationship with Clarissa. Also compared Brabantio's description of Othello/Desdemona as "enchanted" and out of ordinary to the unique nature of the C + S.
For my wider reading I used:
Q1: To his coy mistress - Andrew Marvell
Q1: Sonnet 23 - John Milton
Q2: The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
Q2: A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennessee Williams

Don't remember what I actually said about them though :biggrin:
Reply 155
I quite liked it tbh... so happy when it was 2 poems in the beginning, was expecting 2 plays. I used To His Coy Mistress and Don Jaun for q1 and Tess of the Durbervilles, Lolita and Betrayal for second
For q2 i put:

Intro: Positive portrayal of memories of loved ones/ against ambigious/ negative portrayal of memories of loved ones.

1) The presentation of the loved ones themselves: In Extract C, heightened portrayal (WR 1 - Great Gatsby). Compared to realistic/negative portrayal in Item D.

2) Use of language: In Extract C, heightened language, superlatives... against Extract D, which had darker language - perhaps to show his instability? Analysed usage of 'Pause' as dramatic effect. (WR 2 ) Street car named desire - talked about Blanches instability in regards to memories of loved ones, use of music, and contrasted how williams ended on Blanche being obsessed struck in love/ whereas Klepp seemed to show growth.

3) Both use symbolism ... In extract C, shown through the 'diamond' - could be seen to reflect their love. In extract D, the use of the tape recorded is symbolic of his memories ... fragmented, ambitious,... and the unpredictable nature of love.

4) I talked about how both effectively mixed the past/present....

Needed around 61+/80 get get an A* overall, doubt I'll get that, but I need 38+/80 to get an A, which hopefully I got!
I rely enjoyed that exam! Unfortunately I ran out of time on question 2 and didn't conclude and my structure was a bit messy but hope my points just tick the boxes.
So for the poems I used Coy Mistress it was absolutely perfect to match with item A! And the stark contrast with A and B was good. I discussed the sense of time, and rhetorics used for persuasion. Botanic, natural and celestial imagery. And with B the cynism because of a alluded past experience. With the contrast of sensual language to item A's imagery. He still respects the passion and the fact he parallels 'never give all your heart' shows that he could be implying how some relationships can be just sensual and you should be careful not to fall in love sort of thing.

Although q2 was much trickier, I found the connections easy and I after struggling with item D it was rather accessible with the pauses and proxemics. So for Mrs Dalloway I used Lolita because of many reasons: restrospective and forbidden love also in modernist era. Main connection was through the irony of religion used 'religious feeling' juxtaposing 'purity' and the quote from Lolita was 'Humbert intercepted the apple ... I produced delicious' the religious imagery of genesis and temptation and taking away Lolitas innocence

For d I compared to Hamlet when he is in Ophelia's funeral 'forty thousand brothers...'

And breathe haha
I found this exam so difficult. so gutted .... I thought question one was okay but even then I struggled a bit and it took me a while to get writing so timing was an issue. Question two I just completely and utterly blew, so gutted. Think i'll be lucky to of achieved a C in that exam.
Reply 159
Item D was just krapp. Let's pray the grade boundaries are low :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending